By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Wii U have ANY system sellers this holiday?!

System sellers?

Heck yes! 176 37.37%

One or two is, yes 115 24.42%

Combined those games does look impressive... 62 13.16%

I'm not convinced... 51 10.83%

I doubt it... 28 5.94%

God no!! 32 6.79%

rezzzzz cuzz I'm boooring 6 1.27%

Total:470
kupomogli said:
KHlover said:
Super Mario 3D World will sell systems, just like Super Mario 3D Land did.

Super Mario 3D Land didn't sell systems.  The price drop is what has been selling systems.  As soon as that price drop hit, the 3DS hasn't sold less than 100,000 a week.

seiya19 said:

What will Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Disney Infinity, Skylanders, Batman Arkham Origins, Rayman Legends, and so on do for the platform ?

For anyone with a PS3 60 or is going to get a PS360, absolutely nothing.  Multiconsole titles mean nothing if they're already on consoles people own or consoles that people are going to buy because they waited until the end of the systems life to get one.  The only people those games are going to get to purchase a Wii U are Wii owners who don't have or refuse to buy a Nintendo competitor's console.

Not to mention people care a lot of achievements and trophies. Nintendo still somehow doesn't have a similar system in place, while all of the score and rewards will be carrying over to the next consoles.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Play4Fun said:

I thought GT was PS3 only.

cross-gen

No...it's confirmed to be PS3 only.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

kupomogli said:
KHlover said:
Super Mario 3D World will sell systems, just like Super Mario 3D Land did.

Super Mario 3D Land didn't sell systems.  The price drop is what has been selling systems.  As soon as that price drop hit, the 3DS hasn't sold less than 100,000 a week.

seiya19 said:

What will Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Disney Infinity, Skylanders, Batman Arkham Origins, Rayman Legends, and so on do for the platform ?

For anyone with a PS3 60 or is going to get a PS360, absolutely nothing.  Multiconsole titles mean nothing if they're already on consoles people own or consoles that people are going to buy because they waited until the end of the systems life to get one.  The only people those games are going to get to purchase a Wii U are Wii owners who don't have or refuse to buy a Nintendo competitor's console.

Could you explain to me how did you come to the conclusion that 3D Land didn't sell systems despite selling over 8 million so far while being the first Mario platformer on 3DS ? Also, a lot of games were released for 3DS to get to where it is now... Price drops alone don't sell systems. People don't buy things they don't care about just because of being cheap. And you can look at current Vita sales in Japan for an example of a price cut that didn't have a major, sustainable impact without big software to accompany it.

As for the multiplatform games, what makes you think that no one could just compare a WiiU with a PS3 or 360 and end up choosing the former because of having a multiplatform game they want and an exclusive one ? What exactly makes the comparison always favor PS3/360 ? Also, does a similar dynamic apply with PS4/Xbox One ports that are also on PS3/360 ? Not to mention the fact that most people out there don't have the knowledge we do regarding which games release on which platforms...

But hey, if multiplatform games are irrelevant for WiiU because people will always go towards PS3/360 for being cheaper/achivements or PS4/Xbox One/PC for the graphics, then at least we can drop the idea now that the platform is hurt every time it loses one...

HikenNoAce said:

I think the only way for you to believe that NIntendo's games aren't system sellers on consoles anymore is for you to see each WiiU title sell way less than it's predecessor. From 20M+ for NSMBWii to less than 2M for NSMBWiiU? Expect a similar fate for the other Nintendo games on the WiiU.

It's hard to sell 20M+ on a install base of 3M. the atach rate is still 66% for NSMBU against 20-25% for NSMBWii.

DanneSandin said:
UncleScrooge said:

I see three system sellers here:

- Super Mario 3D World
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Wii Fit U

Each of those games could easily sell 5m or more. I get why people are upset about 3D World (not a "real" 3D Mario game, lack of ambition) and Donkey Kong (it's no Metroid) but both games will sell really well and have a certain mass market appeal. 3D World is certainly not weaker as a system seller than any of the Galaxy games was.

What I'm worried about is another problem entirely: I see the Wii U gamepad as adding an actual barrier between the customer and the games. People want the games but they *do not* want to buy a Gamepad: It's too complex, awfully big, has a bad design and looks cheap. It also adds to the price of the system. Where the Wii remote attracted people and made them more likely to buy the games the Gamepad actually stops them from buying into the product. To this day Nintendo can't find a damn use for the gamepad. When they announced Art Academy I thought "for the first time you actually *need* the gamepad to play a game! Wow!" So the question is: How strong is that barrier? Will it stop people from buying Mario and Donkey Kong and Wii Fit? I'm afraid it actually will.

First paragraph: I'm sure Mario and Donkey Kong will both sell 5m - in the long run. Will they be able to push out 5m Wii U's all by themselves this holiday though?

Second paragraph: I think you nail it! They should make a gamepad-free bundle

Wow, awesome idea!  (sarcasm)   Launch a console version that's completely broken against the games that specifically use it like Zombie U, Lego City Undercover, and Rayman!  Not to mention the fact that it would destroy the functionality of interfacing with the consoles Apps like Miiverse!

Around the Network
seiya19 said:

Could you explain to me how did you come to the conclusion that 3D Land didn't sell systems despite selling over 8 million so far while being the first Mario platformer on 3DS ? Also, a lot of games were released for 3DS to get to where it is now... Price drops alone don't sell systems. People don't buy things they don't care about just because of being cheap. And you can look at current Vita sales in Japan for an example of a price cut that didn't have a major, sustainable impact without big software to accompany it.

As for the multiplatform games, what makes you think that no one could just compare a WiiU with a PS3 or 360 and end up choosing the former because of having a multiplatform game they want and an exclusive one ? What exactly makes the comparison always favor PS3/360 ? Also, does a similar dynamic apply with PS4/Xbox One ports that are also on PS3/360 ? Not to mention the fact that most people out there don't have the knowledge we do regarding which games release on which platforms...

But hey, if multiplatform games are irrelevant for WiiU because people will always go towards PS3/360 for being cheaper/achivements or PS4/Xbox One/PC for the graphics, then at least we can drop the idea now that the platform is hurt every time it loses one...

The same reason the Wii U is selling so well because of New Super Mario Bros U?  The reason Nintendo fans keep saying wait until Mario Kart.  If Super Mario 3D Land is the reason the 3DS sold, the Wii U would be selling because of New Super Mario Bros U.  The 3DS sold because it's a Nintendo portable.  Plain and simple.

There are 31 million 3DS' out there right now and the only reason eight million Super Mario 3D Land games sold is because people buy first party games expecting them to be good.  Do you think maybe, just maybe, that some of the 13 million 3DS owners in the first year bought Super Mario 3D Land because there was jack to play up until that point?

seiya19 said:

If you don't mind JWeinCom, I'll join you on the confused side.

*is confused too*

If a Mario platformer and a Donkey Kong Country game don't fit the "system seller" label, what does ? Also, I can understand having some doubts regarding the potential of Wii Fit U and Wii Party U, but surely we can agree to expect at least a couple of million for each one lifetime, right ? And could Zelda Wind Waker HD sell less than a million after selling 4.6 originally on GC ? What about the Sonic games ? And the potential of the other exclusives, combined ?

While this lineup might not be the adrenaline shot that WiiU needs to completely turn things around sales-wise, it is certainly a good start, and more than enough to compete with what Sony and Microsoft will have at launch, specially when you add what's already out there. I don't see the console returning to the anemic sales it has now after these games. I think it will be enough to sustain the platform to adequate levels until Smash, Mario kart and the rest get released.

By the way... If the lack of multiplatform games hurts WiiU, then surely the ones that do get released will help it, right ? What will Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Disney Infinity, Skylanders, Batman Arkham Origins, Rayman Legends, and so on do for the platform ? Either these games matter and will increase hardware sales, or only exclusives do and losing multiplatform games is irrelevant here. Which one is it ?

PS: I for one love cats. Nya !

Very well said. There is no logic to their argument. Whatever the angle, its doom. How can it be classified as anything but blind hate?

Suddenly, several guaranteed multimillion-selling exclusives released in a short period of time will not sell ANY systems.

Alright then.

kupomogli said:
seiya19 said:

The same reason the Wii U is selling so well because of New Super Mario Bros U?  The reason Nintendo fans keep saying wait until Mario Kart.  If Super Mario 3D Land is the reason the 3DS sold, the Wii U would be selling because of New Super Mario Bros U.  The 3DS sold because it's a Nintendo portable.  Plain and simple.

There are 31 million 3DS' out there right now and the only reason eight million Super Mario 3D Land games sold is because people buy first party games expecting them to be good.  Do you think maybe, just maybe, that some of the 13 million 3DS owners in the first year bought Super Mario 3D Land because there was jack to play up until that point?

Being a nintendo portable didn't help the 3ds sell untill a price drop and GAMES came. and saying wii u isn't selling even though it already has NSMBU only shows you can't hide your bias. nsmb is a game many system owners buy but not a game that makes many buy a console to play it.

kupomogli said:

The 3DS sold because it's a Nintendo portable.

And why is that relevant ? Because it has Nintendo games... Like 3D Land.

3D Land alone didn't revive 3DS sales by itself, and I didn't argue that. But the perfect storm of 3D Land + Mario Kart 7 + Monster Hunter Tri G (in Japan) + price cut did, along with previously released software. It's an accumulative effect, and every part of the equation does its part. No game sells every system by itself, but a few games do sell a rather considerable amount of hardware by being there. Without 3D Land or New Super Mario Bros U, the sales of the hardware wouldn't be where they are now. Any game capable of selling millions of copies sells a relevant amount of systems, because said sales are evidence of its capacity to attract people to the platform.

the only reason eight million Super Mario 3D Land games sold is because people buy first party games expecting them to be good.

Do people ever buy games because of having expectations of them being bad ? And from where do these positive expectations of Nintendo games come from ? Magic ? And wasn't the reception of 3D Land positive overall ?

3DS did have very few popular games released until that point to entice people, like it happens to most, if not all platforms. This only supports my point. In order to play the game, you have to get the platform. And if 3D Land was one of the few games considered to be worth playing at the time, then many people probably bought one for it. Because this is why people buy consoles. To play games.