By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Wii U have ANY system sellers this holiday?!

System sellers?

Heck yes! 176 37.37%

One or two is, yes 115 24.42%

Combined those games does look impressive... 62 13.16%

I'm not convinced... 51 10.83%

I doubt it... 28 5.94%

God no!! 32 6.79%

rezzzzz cuzz I'm boooring 6 1.27%

Total:470
hsrob said:
TruckOSaurus said:

One good game (NSMBU) isn't enough to warrant a $350 investment for many (myself included) but throw in DKC:TF, SM3DW, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and suddenly most people who were somewhat interested in the console now have a selection of 2-3 games that fit their tastes which makes the purchase of the console a more sound investment.

So in short, yes Wii U has system sellers for this holiday.

I think this is something that people are overlooking.  While the WiiU may not have one single system-selling title, by the end of the year it's going to to have a pretty decent swag of potentially excellent titles.  I don't think many people buy systems for a single game but by the end of the year there is going to be enough stuff on the WiiU to catch the eye of anyone with even a passing interest in Nintendo's franchises, with more just around the corner.

I agree 2013's releases are probably not going to interest those who haven't been interested before but throw in Bayonetta, Project X, Mario Kart 8 (which really looks excellent) and Super Smash Bros in 2014 (just for starters) and I think the WiiU is starting to make a pretty compelling argument for any self-respecting gamer.

Having said all that I think people are writing off Super Mario 3D World just a little too early. Some are miffed that it's not Galaxy but part of me is glad they stopped that series at 2 games and I'm keen to see if the team can prove the doubters wrong.

Finally someone looking at the big picture instead of moaning cos they didn't get an announcement of a game they wanted at e3.

Around the Network

Probably more so than the others if you consider people that like to play with family and the Nintendo exclusives.

However, Nintendo lacks the 3rd party support as expected and it will only get worse going forward... so I don't expect Nintendo to maintain their ~4 million sales lead over the others.

HikenNoAce said:
JWeinCom said:
HikenNoAce said:
JWeinCom said:
I'm really confused. I guess that everyone here has done extensive research and has some logical basis for determining that sequels to games that have sold 7-10 million copies (Mario 3D World), 8 million copies (Wii Party), 20 million copies (Wii Fit), and 6 million copies are not system sellers, yet sequels to games that sold 1.5-2.6 million (Infamous), 1.5-5.5 million (Forza), 2-2.5 million (Dead Rising), 3 to 2.5 million (Killzone) are system sellers. I'm sure you guys have done a hell of a job with marketing research to determine this fact that seems to fly in the face of common sense. Right?

Have a look at the sales of Nintendogs and Brain Age on 3DS. Have a look at the sales of NSMBWiiU as well. Being a sequel of a top seller guarantees nothing.

I can't look at the brain age sales, because they don't exist.  I'm inclined to believe that the game sold more than 14,000 units.  I'm also inclined to believe that the game actually launched in the US and Europe.

As for Nintendogs and NSMB U, both of those were launch titles on consoles that struggled.  Nintendogs was barely a sequel, and it sold pretty decently.  It actually sold more than Killzone, Infamous, Dead Rising, etc.  As for NSMBU, that's been discussed so many times I have nothing to add to the conversation.  If you're of the opinion that NSMBU should have inspired gamers to spend 410 dollars and the lack of other content on the Wii U has nothing to do with the game's sales, then more power to you.

I'm not going to say that these figures are great for Nintendo, but they're a few examples picked out, and there are other examples that contradict them.  Animal Crossing's huge success in Japan, the sales of Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7(each of which is outpacing Mario Kart DS), the sales of Mario games in general, etc.  

I think the only way for you to believe that NIntendo's games aren't system sellers on consoles anymore is for you to see each WiiU title sell way less than it's predecessor. From 20M+ for NSMBWii to less than 2M for NSMBWiiU? Expect a similar fate for the other Nintendo games on the WiiU.

So... now install base has nothing to do with sales at all?  The fact that NSMB Wii launched on an incredibly successful system with a great library and NSMBU launched on a new system with no other meaningful first party support has nothing to do with sales?

Aquietguy said:
UncleScrooge said:

I see three system sellers here:

- Super Mario 3D World
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Wii Fit U

Each of those games could easily sell 5m or more. I get why people are upset about 3D World (not a "real" 3D Mario game, lack of ambition) and Donkey Kong (it's no Metroid) but both games will sell really well and have a certain mass market appeal. 3D World is certainly not weaker as a system seller than any of the Galaxy games was.

What I'm worried about is another problem entirely: I see the Wii U gamepad as adding an actual barrier between the customer and the games. People want the games but they *do not* want to buy a Gamepad: It's too complex, awfully big, has a bad design and looks cheap. It also adds to the price of the system. Where the Wii remote attracted people and made them more likely to buy the games the Gamepad actually stops them from buying into the product. To this day Nintendo can't find a damn use for the gamepad. When they announced Art Academy I thought "for the first time you actually *need* the gamepad to play a game! Wow!" So the question is: How strong is that barrier? Will it stop people from buying Mario and Donkey Kong and Wii Fit? I'm afraid it actually will.

The game pad is a bad design?? It looks cheap?? Too complex?? No one wants it??????? That's the whole reason of the U is the pad. It's anything but cheap looking and in a lot of way simplify things. It is big but far more comfortible than the duel shock. The fact is the pad brings things to gaming that regular controller can't. 

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I have the Wii U since day one and multiple people (including myself) noted the gamepad looks cheap. It also looks too complex because they redesigned it to look more like a "real" controller. I much prefer the look they showed early on but I guess the hardcore gamers and devs complained so they changed it. 

You're right, the gamepad is the whole reason the Wii U exists in its current form - which is why it is so problematic. But I disagree on the simplifying part: What things does the gamepad actually make simpler? It's more complex than a traditional game controller (which was Nintendo's basic insight with the Wii: Game controllers are too complex and intimidating), it is quite heavy and the touchscreen isn't perfect either due to it being pressure sensitive and non-multitouch. The internal speakers are bad (as in *really* bad) and the shoulder buttons are awkwardly placed. And I simply don't see a lot of games where the gamepad actually *adds* something to the experience. 2D Mario? Nope. 3D Mario? Not really. Zelda? Hell no, the Wiimote would've been a better choice (controlling the wind, moving the sword). Miyamoto publicly stated the Wiimote is his favorite way of playing Pikmin 3. Wii Sports is actually impossible to play with the gamepad (biggest Nintendo IP last generation). Wii Fit doesn't use a controller at all, just the balance board. Donkey Kong can be played with any controller. Same for Mario Kart. Virtual console games don't need the gamepad either and the games in Wii U Party that use the gamepad look extremely forced and not very fun to play. Due to the console only using 1 pad at a time this even forces some games to use assymetric multiplayer (or remove the tablet completely). 

The gamepad is really good for off-screen play when the TV is occupied. But this is not an actual problem consumers want to be solved. That's what handheld consoles or phones are there for. It doesn't justify the whole console revolving around the gamepad and replacing the highly popular Wii remote as the primary controller. Sales speak for themselves. Consumers don't like this. 

I'm not convinced that people are very interested in this holiday line up, but you never know. And I am indeed horrible at predicting.

Around the Network

Donkey Kong's my system seller.

Slimebeast said:
I don't think that lineup will turn sales around much. It's gonna be another sad Holiday season and the PS4 will quickly start to catch up the small sales lead the Wii U has.

But to me personally Zelda Wind Waker HD is a system seller this fall.

Dont count with the eggs while they're still inside the chicken. There's no guarantee the expensive ps4 will sell great this holyday season. people love to predict doom for wii u saying there aren't enough games to justify a purchase. well, how many system sellers the others have out of the gate? Because I certainly don't see any.

RolStoppable said:
The second half of the year is looking good for the Wii U. Throw in a price cut and you have at least a somewhat appealing product already, in both single- and multiplayer content. The biggest obstacle is the Gamepad, but it's not possible to remove that thing, just like 3D had to stay with the 3DS.

If Nintendo can't beat the X1 and PS4 this holiday, then the system has no hope left.

The Wii U will have no problems outselling the PS4 and One between November and the end of the year - the logistics involved with launching a console are a nightmare because everything is done at the last minute. You won't see Sony and Microsoft shipping more than 2m each before the end of the year.

I'm starting to believe the term system seller doesn't really exist. That term is too vague. 

For example: Fire Emblem Awakening was a 3DS seller for me, but not really for many people. Twilight Princess was a system seller for me, but not all people were the same. 

Very few games truly enter in this category (games like Wii Sports, maybe Kinect Adventures, etc), most of other games are system sellers for ones, but not for everyone. 

The term "system seller" is the combination of various games: 3D World, DRK:TF, Sonic Lost Worlds are not system sellers individually, but when you have all 3 available, more people will want to buy a Wii U.

Obviously some games have more selling power than others, but very few times in a sense where only that single game justifies the price of a console. And I'm talking with the general market in mind ("core" and "casual" gamers).

Nintendo and PC gamer

Zero999 said:
Dont count with the eggs while they're still inside the chicken. There's no guarantee the expensive ps4 will sell great this holyday season. people love to predict doom for wii u saying there aren't enough games to justify a purchase. well, how many system sellers the others have out of the gate? Because I certainly don't see any.

Forza 5 will be a system seller. Gran Turismo and KillZone too.

Click HERE and be happy