By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137
ChrolloLucilfer said:

I don't believe any of those three titles I mentioned would have any where near the sale potential of new 2D Donkey Kong. But saying that I don't see massive demand either in X, Bayonetta 2 & Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem compared to 2D Donkey Kong. I don't think every title has to be design to sell several million copies as minimum goal. I would imagine title like Starfox, Metroid, F Zero would over long period would get at least 1m+ sales and be profitable titles.

My guess is that Nintendo resources are spread thin right now, so there was no room for a Starfox, Metroid or F-Zero.

Around the Network
Vinniegambini said:
Why would Retro speak if they are working on another game if they are not ready to show it and if they have a game to sell already? Of course the answer is going to be ''nope only working on one game''. Monolith has about 100 employees but have 3 different teams, one is working on X, one is working on a 3DS game and the other one we do not know. C'mon guys, lets use common sense. Its Nintendo, they don't want to announce anything before they are comfortable doing so.

Regarding Monolith: Didn't they work on Project X Zone? I think that's the 3rd team.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Mr Khan said:
DanneSandin said:
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

But you're missing the point. Mario + Smash bros are obviously much bigger than DK, if you removed any one of Smash bros/mario kart or Mario world 3D from the list (each are very different games) it would probably change the Wii U's sale fortunes. I highly doubt that is the case for DK. That is the key question, for how many people is DK the game which will push them over the edge in deciding whether or not they pick up the system? For now we can only speculate, but I doubt its alot.

Also the main point is that Retro are a team we know are capable of creating mature experiences which can appeal to different demographic outside of plaformers fans/families. I'm not debating whether this game should exist or not, the more games the better. I'm debating whether it was the most effective use of Retro's time and resources. 

Alright, let's consider what Retro could have done.

1) DKCR5. Sequel in a series that averages 5m units.
2) Metroid Prime 4. Would sell about 2m units at most.
3) Star Fox or F-Zero. Would sell about 2m units at most.
4) New IP, something mature to appeal to that different demographic. Would probably sell about 2m units at most. Why? Because that demographic would write it off as a drop of water on a hot stone and stick to the PS4. The same thing you can already see happening with Bayonetta 2 and X. Nintendo fans will buy it though and that's where the sales will come from.

Looks pretty clear what was the best course of action.

You pretty much answered my post as well with this one.

The thing is though, DKCTF will surely sell around 5m - but how many Wii U's will it sell? I highly doubt it'll make THAT much of a difference. A new IP MIGHT have pushed quite a few systems. It might have been the game that convinced gamers to buy a Wii U - or at least have it as their second console. That's not what DKCTF will do.

EDIT: Just saw your reply to me on the other post. intendo fans might not buy the system now, but they will as soon as Mario, Kart and Smash hits us. Zelda will also convince fans to get the system. As will DKCTF of course; but like I stated above, they might have tried something new and gotten others to buy Wii U as well.

5 million is more sales than there are currently Wii U's on the market. If it pushes that, it will have pushed Wii U's

But I don't think it'll push 5m Wii U's. At the end of this year we'll have 4 platformers on Wii U (including Super Luigi), and you think Donkey Kong will push more units than Mario? I think that people that buys Donkey Kong will buy Mario as well, but the other way around isn't necessarily true. If you buy Mario you might skip Donkey Kong.

DanneSandin said:

Sadly we won't get a second game from Retro in the near future:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

Retro would love to work on the Metroid series again, but it's not currently doing so. Though many expected a move to HD would lure Retro back to the franchise that made it famous, Retro president Michael Kelbaugh told me in an interview that his team felt Donkey Kong Country needed more attention.

"Well, we love Metroid. We love Metroid Prime and we always will. It was a big part of our studio, the culture of the studio. The majority of that team is still at Retro," Kelbaugh said. "When we finished with DK, we still had a lot of really cool ideas. That, in combination with what the Wii U could do, we really wanted to continue with that. Again, Retro Studios loves Metroid. We might do another one someday. But we really enjoyed working with DK as well."

Of course, many Nintendo fans refuse to give up hope, and might assume that Retro is working on both Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and some sort of Metroid project. While the developer certainly might have ideas, and could be doing some tests, it won't be working on two major projects simultaneously.

"We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years," Kelbaugh said. "In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so. A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that."

So Retro is working on Tropical Freeze. It doesn't have two teams working on two major projects, even though it might be interested in returning to Metroid one day. What, then, is the future of Samus Aran's intergalactic adventures? I turned to Kensuke Tanabe, an Executive Officer at Nintendo, and the man responsible for producing Retro's games, including the Metroid Prime series.

"Basically I’m thinking of, not just Samus, but how we can expand the whole Samus universe," Tanabe said. "You remember Metroid Prime Hunters. I’m thinking about things like how we could make that go out further, with all these different bounty hunters as well."

So Retro is NOT working on a Metroid, or anyother game right now. I'm so sad =(

They made 3 Metroid games so why can't they make another Donkey Kong?

N-Magic said:

Of course they should make another Donkey Kong game, I just question if that's the game they should be making right now. Wii U is getting swamped by platformers, so it would have made more sense to focus on a different genre so to lure other people to the console, and not just platform lovers

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Th3PANO said:
they said, they can work on a big and small game. and dkcr doesn't seem like it is one of the big games to make. it runs on an improved engine, only level design, other enemies + 2 new kong's are new so far. also, the wii u has almost the same architecture. it can't be that hard to do a game, they wont need 110 employees for a freaking dkc r sequel.

So I've just concluded that DK: Tropical freeze is a 3DS game that was ported to the Wii U once the sales were revealed to be dire. Have a look at these Screen shots, these are not HD assets, no way! Rare would never be this lazy. They worked on a fur sim, but other than that look at the lighting/ Shaders/texture/polygon count etc,this is blatantly a up ressed 3DS game. Once Nintendo decided they were going to move this game from the 3DS to the wii U, they decided to port the original DK country returns to the 3DS instead.

looking at the graphical qualityI feel relieved because there is no way this is all they've working on. I don't know why they wouldn't just say "we're also working on something" else but its possible they spent a year or more, creating a new IP which has since been canned :(

I'm sorry, but how in the Christ can you look at that and say "it's not HD". "HD" doesn't mean EVERYTHING is going to be totally perfect. Have you ever tried looking at shit up close in some of the "HD" CoD or Halo games, for instance? I have. Damn ugly. Overall though, this game looks QUITE good, and keep in mind, it'll be polished up a lot between now and November. They probably ALREADY have a better version of it running than what you're looking at right there, because a company has to spend time making a demo in the first place, thus the demo is going to be behind their actual progress.

But either way, DKCR on 3DS looks visually worse than the Wii game, and THIS DKC game looks a LOT better, even though DKCR on Wii looked pretty good. So it's not a big issue. It looks fun, and hopefully will be better than DKCR was, all around.

DanneSandin said:
N-Magic said:

Of course they should make another Donkey Kong game, I just question if that's the game they should be making right now. Wii U is getting swamped by platformers, so it would have made more sense to focus on a different genre so to lure other people to the console, and not just platform lovers

I think Retro should be focused on doing what they want becuase I have a feeling that a game Retro wants to make is automatically better for Wii U than a game Retro is forced to make.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

On one hand, I was not hoping for this. I'm starting to reach my 2D platforming quota for a while. On the other hand, DKCR shows these guys know what they're doing with the franchise. If they really spent three years on this, it should be a worthwhile game. I may not pick it up this year, and I'm not sure it will sell to people who wouldn't get NSMBU, but I and millions of others will eventually buy this game.

Love and tolerate.

F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
N-Magic said:

I think Retro should be focused on doing what they want becuase I have a feeling that a game Retro wants to make is automatically better for Wii U than a game Retro is forced to make.

agreed!!

Salnax said:
On one hand, I was not hoping for this. I'm starting to reach my 2D platforming quota for a while. On the other hand, DKCR shows these guys know what they're doing with the franchise. If they really spent three years on this, it should be a worthwhile game. I may not pick it up this year, and I'm not sure it will sell to people who wouldn't get NSMBU, but I and millions of others will eventually buy this game.

This! How many 2D platformers can we take?!