By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

Thats what mario 3d, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are for. Donky Kong may sell well but It will do nothing for the system that these other titles won't do 10x better. In fact it will do nothing for the system that Pikmin, New Super Mario Bros U or New Super Luigi won't already have done by the time of its release. You mention that they need to focus on core nintendo fans, but not one single fan has said over the past 2 years, I really hope Retro are working on another DK. Fair enough that some peeps will be excited by this and purchase the wii U, but those are the same people who would purchase the systems for mario etc, DK is just another platformer to add to the list. Now Nintendo are in risk of alienating a margin of fans through severe repetition (me being one of them), and negating the possibility for them to draw new ones.

You could shuffle the five games you mentioned in your first two sentences any way you want and it would still make as much sense as it does now.

There were quite a few people on this very forum who have said that they want Donkey Kong Country 5. Also, all of the games you mentioned in your post are just another Nintendo game to add to the list.

Lastly, if you are alienated by Donkey Kong Country 5, then you either don't like video games or are lying about being a Nintendo fan.

But you're missing the point. Mario + Smash bros are obviously much bigger than DK, if you removed any one of Smash bros/mario kart or Mario world 3D from the list (each are very different games) it would probably change the Wii U's sale fortunes. I highly doubt that is the case for DK. That is the key question, for how many people is DK the game which will push them over the edge in deciding whether or not they pick up the system? For now we can only speculate, but I doubt its alot.

Also the main point is that Retro are a team we know are capable of creating mature experiences which can appeal to different demographic outside of plaformers fans/families. I'm not debating whether this game should exist or not, the more games the better. I'm debating whether it was the most effective use of Retro's time and resources. 

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Th3PANO said:
they said, they can work on a big and small game. and dkcr doesn't seem like it is one of the big games to make. it runs on an improved engine, only level design, other enemies + 2 new kong's are new so far. also, the wii u has almost the same architecture. it can't be that hard to do a game, they wont need 110 employees for a freaking dkc r sequel.

So I've just concluded that DK: Tropical freeze is a 3DS game that was ported to the Wii U once the sales were revealed to be dire. Have a look at these Screen shots, these are not HD assets, no way! Rare would never be this lazy. They worked on a fur sim, but other than that look at the lighting/ Shaders/texture/polygon count etc,this is blatantly a up ressed 3DS game. Once Nintendo decided they were going to move this game from the 3DS to the wii U, they decided to port the original DK country returns to the 3DS instead.

I feel relieved because there is no way this is all they've working on. I don't know why they wouldn't just say "we're also working on something" else but its possible they spent a year or more, creating a new IP which has since been canned :(

also 2011 Retro said they aren't planning a dkcr sequel yet so it means that this games was only made cause the wii u needs games, and that quickly.

DKCTF does not look like a game that devs have spent 3 years on seriously! (eye lid flickering) it does not look that good graphicaly honestly

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

Your reasoning is perfectly sound. If Nintendo indeed does have a magical crystal ball with which they can see into the future with. If they knew Wii U would fail sales wise, it makes perfect sense to make a new Donkey Kong - but then we have to ask ourselves; if Nintendo knew Wii U would fail, why even make it in the first place? Does. not. make. sense.If Nintendo do not have a crystal ball your logic is flawed.

Donkey Kong has been in production for almost 3 years now, so it's nothing they've cooked up the last 6 months, so we can safely assume this game wasn't designed to help save the failing Wii U. It's designed to play it safe. When is the best time to release a new IP? At the beginning of the gen. We won't get a new IP from Retro until 3 years from now, and that's not the beginning of the gen any longer. This is why Nintendo is wasting the resources Retro has.

DKC made sense under any circumstances. Even if Wii U sales were approaching 10m by now, DKC would have still been the right game. But we are in a time of crisis, so a sequel like this is even more important. It obviously wasn't made in reaction to poor Wii U sales.

The reason why new IPs in general do better early in a generation is because consumers are more willing to take a chance. As time passes, consumers gravitate towards known brands, because they are safer bets. However, new IPs can still do well, provided they are from a developer with a good reputation and advertised accordingly. I don't think that's something Retro has to worry about.

Lastly, a waste of resources is to spend (too much) money on the development of a game that won't sell. DKC doesn't fall into this category.

You're of course right on every point you made; DKCTF makes sense to produce since it'll be very profitable, and therefor not a waste of resources. What I'm meaning with that this is a waste of Retro's talent is the fact that this game will only lure in Nintendo fans - fans that will buy the system sooner or later. What Retro could have done is make something new that would entice other folks to buy the system. THAT'S what Wii U needs right now. Mario and Zelda and Smash will get the Nintendo faithfuls, and therefor Donkey Kong isn't necessary to catch that particular crowd. They should have gone after another demographic.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

But you're missing the point. Mario + Smash bros are obviously much bigger than DK, if you removed any one of Smash bros/mario kart or Mario world 3D from the list (each are very different games) it would probably change the Wii U's sale fortunes. I highly doubt that is the case for DK. That is the key question, for how many people is DK the game which will push them over the edge in deciding whether or not they pick up the system? For now we can only speculate, but I doubt its alot.

Also the main point is that Retro are a team we know are capable of creating mature experiences which can appeal to different demographic outside of plaformers fans/families. I'm not debating whether this game should exist or not, the more games the better. I'm debating whether it was the most effective use of Retro's time and resources. 

Alright, let's consider what Retro could have done.

1) DKCR5. Sequel in a series that averages 5m units.
2) Metroid Prime 4. Would sell about 2m units at most.
3) Star Fox or F-Zero. Would sell about 2m units at most.
4) New IP, something mature to appeal to that different demographic. Would probably sell about 2m units at most. Why? Because that demographic would write it off as a drop of water on a hot stone and stick to the PS4. The same thing you can already see happening with Bayonetta 2 and X. Nintendo fans will buy it though and that's where the sales will come from.

Looks pretty clear what was the best course of action.

You pretty much answered my post as well with this one.

The thing is though, DKCTF will surely sell around 5m - but how many Wii U's will it sell? I highly doubt it'll make THAT much of a difference. A new IP MIGHT have pushed quite a few systems. It might have been the game that convinced gamers to buy a Wii U - or at least have it as their second console. That's not what DKCTF will do.

EDIT: Just saw your reply to me on the other post. intendo fans might not buy the system now, but they will as soon as Mario, Kart and Smash hits us. Zelda will also convince fans to get the system. As will DKCTF of course; but like I stated above, they might have tried something new and gotten others to buy Wii U as well.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

Alright, let's consider what Retro could have done.

1) DKCR5. Sequel in a series that averages 5m units.
2) Metroid Prime 4. Would sell about 2m units at most.
3) Star Fox or F-Zero. Would sell about 2m units at most.
4) New IP, something mature to appeal to that different demographic. Would probably sell about 2m units at most. Why? Because that demographic would write it off as a drop of water on a hot stone and stick to the PS4. The same thing you can already see happening with Bayonetta 2 and X. Nintendo fans will buy it though and that's where the sales will come from.

Looks pretty clear what was the best course of action.

Firstly DK: Country returns sold 5m units when the wii's userbase was 80m strong. Metroid Prime 3 sold 1.8m when the systems userbase was 11m strong. You cannot make direct comparisons between the 2 franchises. Secondly we're not merely discussing software sales, we are discussing its impact of hardware. Now it could be as you say that most gamers would still ignore the Wii U, but the truth is most gamers will not be buying a ps4/Xone at launch. Nintendo have strongly dimished any chance of attracting an audience outside of one which they already have captured with Mario, they risk loosing potential fans secome to fatigue, the internet reaction is a reflection of that.  

By the way Beyonetta could barely break 1million on ps3/360 combined. Of course its not a big gun for the Wii U. 

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

You pretty much answered my post as well with this one.

The thing is though, DKCTF will surely sell around 5m - but how many Wii U's will it sell? I highly doubt it'll make THAT much of a difference. A new IP MIGHT have pushed quite a few systems. It might have been the game that convinced gamers to buy a Wii U - or at least have it as their second console. That's not what DKCTF will do.

Why not? It's not like you can get a 2D platformer of that scale on any other system. Also, it's not a Mario game, so that's another plus point.

I stealth edited my last post...

Well dkcr was a great game so I'm happy and as people have already said at least it will be treated ( by retro) as a top tier game and not some half assed cash grab, but then this is coming from someone who was only ever hoping for another dk game from retro anyway. And I can see why Nintendo may prioritise a dk game over metroid..I would personally like to see metroid return to its 2d roots and would want Nintendo to handle the game themselves

Roma said:
DKCTF does not look like a game that devs have spent 3 years on seriously! (eye lid flickering) it does not look that good graphicaly honestly

Why not? It took them 3.5 years to do the first one, and the first one is not as complex as Tropical Freeze, nor is it 1080p resolution.

When developing a game, graphics are not what takes the time, it is the actual development. The graphical assets are something developers can easily contract out to third parties, this is not true about the other processes that go into developing a game unless you include testing.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So by his logic, their DKC on Wii U will be released this year (after 3 years of development after DKC on Wii) and we'll have a metroid on Wii U in 2016, 3 years later.