By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137
Vinniegambini said:
Why would Retro speak if they are working on another game if they are not ready to show it and if they have a game to sell already? Of course the answer is going to be ''nope only working on one game''. Monolith has about 100 employees but have 3 different teams, one is working on X, one is working on a 3DS game and the other one we do not know. C'mon guys, lets use common sense. Its Nintendo, they don't want to announce anything before they are comfortable doing so.

Lots of devs will openly say that they have other projects in the work or that they have multiple teams, it is the norm. Even nintendo openly talk about the deligations of their team, its not the same as annoucing a game before its ready to be revealed.

One thing I forgot is that Retro worked on parts of Mario Kart 7, it could be that they are doing the same for Mario Kart 8

Around the Network

Gosh I was thinking that the graphics didn't look that good. Compared to Mario it looks pixelated especially the background. Could it have been a 3DS game? I'm not sure, but maybe they've quickly made one using the graphics engine of DKCR. The revolving camera would have favoured the 3DS though so maybe quite sneaky from Nintendo.

Anyways I do hope the graphics improve a lot as I know they made DKCR look stunning on the Wii. I remember NSMB Wii in E3 2009 looked way worse than the product, so still time to improve.

I'm also excited to see how they can use the Wii U Pad, should be interesting.

People, just accept that they have been working on DKC all this time. Lying to yourself will only increase your disappointment.

RolStoppable said:

DanneSandin said:

EDIT: Just saw your reply to me on the other post. intendo fans might not buy the system now, but they will as soon as Mario, Kart and Smash hits us. Zelda will also convince fans to get the system. As will DKCTF of course; but like I stated above, they might have tried something new and gotten others to buy Wii U as well.

Yes, they might have gotten others to buy a Wii U. But what if people thought that there wouldn't be another game like the one Retro made? Would they buy a Wii U for just one game? Because apparently we are talking about people who do not really like any of Nintendo's regular games.

A new IP coupled with Bayo2 could have been a killer combo for people that usually isn't interested in a Nintendo console. Those 2 games could have made the Wii U peoples second choice; right now it's the first choice of Nintendo fans, and no one else is considering it at all.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
animegaming said:
when did retro hire those people from bioware and naughty dog? cause they might be on there next project after donkey kong is done

THIS is what I'm hoping for as well! Maybe they have some kind of deal with Nintendo? Something like, if they do another Donkey Kong they can do their own thing afterwards?

I don't think Retro can't really "make deals" with nintendo.  Retro is a fully own subsidiary of nintendo.  I don't imagine they get alot of say in when they make what games.

Around the Network

While releasing a New Donkey Kong on the Wii U instead of a new Metroid make more financial sense when looking at the sales figures of the past games. I do worry however that the Wii U first party development is becoming just slightly too focused on make game of the Platform genre instead of other genres. As we already got New Super Mario Bros. U (and Luigi DLC), Yarn Yoshi & Super Mario 3D World to add to Donkey Kong in the Platform genre already. It just seem a lot for console barely 1 year old to have in the pipeline. A new Starfox, Metroid, F Zero would bring some much need variety to Nintendo First Party lineup.

ChrolloLucilfer said:
While releasing a New Donkey Kong on the Wii U instead of a new Metroid make more financial sense when looking at the sales figures of the past games. I do worry however that the Wii U first party development is becoming just slightly too focused on make game of the Platform genre instead of other genres. As we already got New Super Mario Bros. U (and Luigi DLC), Yarn Yoshi & Super Mario 3D World to add to Donkey Kong in the Platform genre already. It just seem a lot for console barely 1 year old to have in the pipeline. A new Starfox, Metroid, F Zero would bring some much need variety to Nintendo First Party lineup.

The problem is that sales show that people are not very interested in those franchises.

AgentZorn said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:

The problem is that sales show that people are not very interested in those franchises.

I don't believe any of those three titles I mentioned would have any where near the sale potential of new 2D Donkey Kong. But saying that I don't see massive demand either in X, Bayonetta 2 & Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem compared to 2D Donkey Kong. I don't think every title has to be design to sell several million copies as minimum goal. I would imagine title like Starfox, Metroid, F Zero would over long period would get at least 1m+ sales and be profitable titles.

animegaming said:
when did retro hire those people from bioware and naughty dog? cause they might be on there next project after donkey kong is done

To be fair, I can imagine those people working on something different from BioWare and Naughty Dog's recent output. How many opportunities are there for Western developers to work on huge, best-selling platformer franchises?

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Vinniegambini said:
Why would Retro speak if they are working on another game if they are not ready to show it and if they have a game to sell already? Of course the answer is going to be ''nope only working on one game''. Monolith has about 100 employees but have 3 different teams, one is working on X, one is working on a 3DS game and the other one we do not know. C'mon guys, lets use common sense. Its Nintendo, they don't want to announce anything before they are comfortable doing so.

Retro really didn't say anything. Most of the "information" we had about their game was, well, rumor.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero