By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137
RolStoppable said:

My sales comparisons weren't restricted to just the latest entries, but the series as a whole. Historically, Donkey Kong has been significantly more popular than Metroid.

The internet reaction has been "LOL Wii U!" since 2011. It has been "LOL Wii!" since 2006. Considering how the internet reaction has been the same, but Nintendo's sales greatly differ between the Wii U and Wii, it's safe to say that we can kick the internet reaction in the bucket when it comes to Nintendo.

As for the impact on hardware sales, a big game like DKC5 is guaranteed to help while whatever imaginary game you think of is not. You are just grasping for straws, because you don't like that DKC5 is made by Retro. Your post with the claim that it is a 3DS game that was moved to the Wii U is evidence for that.

1)Not strictly true, especially not for nintendo fans. Other than being called a fad (which in itself implies it has a strong USP, just not one with legs) the wii recieved ton of good coverage up until 2008/9 when the titles started to die down and their E3s were just filled with wii music and other weak showings. The difference then is that the wii captured the casual audience and they kept it going even when core titles became few and far between. The complaints this time are coming from core nintendo fans, the same ones you said they need to cater to because the casuals have clearly vacated the building.

2) I am not grasping at straws there is a very simple logic I am addressing. High sales does not equate to system sellers, people use media on 360 more than they play games, but is the media functionality the reason they bought the system in the first place? Zombi U only sold 450k but I know people who wouldn't have bought the Wii U if that title wasn't on it. What you are trying to dictate to everyone else is that there is no value in a diverse portfolio. By your same logic of simply assessing software sales and not the context, you would assume that a New Super Mario bros U is a superior launch title compared to a full fledged 3D title Mario or a brand new Zelda, simply because the wii version sold 22m and Mario galaxy and Zelda on wii sold considerably less. 

Also my post on the claim that it is a 3DS title, is evidence that I do not see in black and white. I obviously don't know whether thats actually the case or but I do have brain and I'm willing to use it.

Around the Network

Well, I have to admit I was wrong then. I thought that Retro was working on another project.

DKC will probably be great -- Retro's track record signals as much -- but I am a little disappointed. It's not that I don't want DKC -- I do -- it's just that I also wanted to see another classic franchise reborn or an entirely new IP.

I figured Retro was big enough at this time to handle two projects simultaneously. Anyway, I was wrong.

It takes them three years to make a sequel to a 2d platformer? Really that's pathetic. Maybe they aren't as talented as we keep giving them credit for.

RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

1)Not strictly true, especially not for nintendo fans. Other than being called a fad (which in itself implies it has a strong USP, just not one with legs) the wii recieved ton of good coverage up until 2008/9 when the titles started to die down and their E3s were just filled with wii music and other weak showings. The difference then is that the wii captured the casual audience and they kept it going even when core titles became few and far between. The complaints this time are coming from core nintendo fans, the same ones you said they need to cater to because the casuals have clearly vacated the building.

2) I am not grasping at straws there is a very simple logic I am addressing. High sales does not equate to system sellers, people use media on 360 more than they play games, but is the media functionality the reason they bought the system in the first place? Zombi U only sold 450k but I know people who wouldn't have bought the Wii U if that title wasn't on it. What you are trying to dictate to everyone else is that there is no value in a diverse portfolio. By your same logic of simply assessing software sales and not the context, you would assume that a New Super Mario bros U is a superior launch title compared to a full fledged 3D title Mario or a brand new Zelda, simply because the wii version sold 22m and Mario galaxy and Zelda on wii sold considerably less. 

Also my post on the claim that it is a 3DS title, is evidence that I do not see in black and white. I obviously don't know whether thats actually the case or but I do have brain and I'm willing to use it.

1) Core Nintendo fans have complained since 2006 too. About how Nintendo has sold out to casuals and all that stuff. It's nothing new. The underlying wish is that they want to be respected by Sony and Microsoft fans or something like that. The usual Nintendo games and casual stuff (whatever people think that is) obviously don't cut it. Not to mention that there are core Nintendo fans who grew up with the N64/GC and scoff at 2D gameplay. Or those who think that such games are cheap and easy to make.

2) Great that you know people that have bought a Wii U for ZombiU. Unfortunately, the plural of anecdote isn't data. What I am trying to get in your head is that a game that can sell 5m units has a higher probability to sell hardware than a game that can sell only 2m units. And yes, NSMBU is a superior launch title compared to your examples, because Super Mario Bros. (with the exception of SMB2) has always sold significantly more than those.

Tell me what Retro's game should have been. Genre, how it controls and other details.

Something ambitious that would appeal to a demographic not already swooned by Super Mario World 3D.

RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

Something ambitious that would appeal to a demographic not already swooned by Super Mario World 3D.

You mean something like Donkey Kong Country 5? Because quite a few people think that Super Mario 3D World (and also NSMBU) are cheap.

Aren't they the same people who think this looks cheap?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

Aren't they the same people who think this looks cheap?

No.

If you say so.

ListerOfSmeg said:
After Metroid Other M, I doubt we will see one any time. I don't blame Nintendo at all either.

I do seem to remember them claiming, at the end of their fiscal 2010-2011, that Metroid was going on the back-burner for a while.

A 2015 release, perhaps?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

DanneSandin said:
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

But you're missing the point. Mario + Smash bros are obviously much bigger than DK, if you removed any one of Smash bros/mario kart or Mario world 3D from the list (each are very different games) it would probably change the Wii U's sale fortunes. I highly doubt that is the case for DK. That is the key question, for how many people is DK the game which will push them over the edge in deciding whether or not they pick up the system? For now we can only speculate, but I doubt its alot.

Also the main point is that Retro are a team we know are capable of creating mature experiences which can appeal to different demographic outside of plaformers fans/families. I'm not debating whether this game should exist or not, the more games the better. I'm debating whether it was the most effective use of Retro's time and resources. 

Alright, let's consider what Retro could have done.

1) DKCR5. Sequel in a series that averages 5m units.
2) Metroid Prime 4. Would sell about 2m units at most.
3) Star Fox or F-Zero. Would sell about 2m units at most.
4) New IP, something mature to appeal to that different demographic. Would probably sell about 2m units at most. Why? Because that demographic would write it off as a drop of water on a hot stone and stick to the PS4. The same thing you can already see happening with Bayonetta 2 and X. Nintendo fans will buy it though and that's where the sales will come from.

Looks pretty clear what was the best course of action.

You pretty much answered my post as well with this one.

The thing is though, DKCTF will surely sell around 5m - but how many Wii U's will it sell? I highly doubt it'll make THAT much of a difference. A new IP MIGHT have pushed quite a few systems. It might have been the game that convinced gamers to buy a Wii U - or at least have it as their second console. That's not what DKCTF will do.

EDIT: Just saw your reply to me on the other post. intendo fans might not buy the system now, but they will as soon as Mario, Kart and Smash hits us. Zelda will also convince fans to get the system. As will DKCTF of course; but like I stated above, they might have tried something new and gotten others to buy Wii U as well.

5 million is more sales than there are currently Wii U's on the market. If it pushes that, it will have pushed Wii U's

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Why was anyone ever expecting a Metroid game anyway? Retro never confirmed this, and neither did Nintendo. You just assumed we were getting something like Metroid/an actual Metroid and you just set your self up for disappointment.

What Retro is doing right now, with DKC:TF, makes sense. Business sense. Maybe you don't want to hear that, but too bad. Nintendo is a business and they have to make money, if they aren't making money, how are they even going to try to make this huge graphically amazing Metroid you people all want?

Why would Retro speak if they are working on another game if they are not ready to show it and if they have a game to sell already? Of course the answer is going to be ''nope only working on one game''. Monolith has about 100 employees but have 3 different teams, one is working on X, one is working on a 3DS game and the other one we do not know. C'mon guys, lets use common sense. Its Nintendo, they don't want to announce anything before they are comfortable doing so.