By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro is NOT working on a second game! Donkey Kong is all we get for a while

Tagged games:

How do you feel about this?

I'm prefectly fine with ... 43 31.39%

Nooos! I wanted another Metroid! 24 17.52%

Nooos! I wanted a new IP from them! 24 17.52%

They're only working on ONE game? WTF!? 41 29.93%

rezz 5 3.65%

Total:137

they said, they can work on a big and small game. and dkcr doesn't seem like it is one of the big games to make. it runs on an improved engine, only level design, other enemies + 2 new kong's are new so far. also, the wii u has almost the same architecture. it can't be that hard to do a game, they wont need 110 employees for a freaking dkc r sequel.

Around the Network

Also they said they aren't making a Metroid game right now. He never said they aren't making 2 games. Well, hope dies last....

hsrob said:
Oh well, here's to hoping DKR2 is awesome! I seem to be one of the few that thought the trailer looked great from the outset and had all indications of improving on the Wii game.

Of course it's gonna be awesome! And I think we all think the trailer looked great and we're all looking forward to play it, but a lot of peeps are disappointed by the fact that this took Retro 3 years to make and they don't have anything else to show for probably the next 3 years...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

mii-gamer said:
i'm in denial. All i read was: "we have metroid in the works but i don't want to ruin the surprise"

Haha were in the same boat. The fact that he mentioned new ideas for Metroid makes me believe a small team is coming up with ideas and once DKC is complete they will commit 100% to Metroid

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:

This is the time to keep the system relevant at all. Some of you still haven't grasped how serious the situation is. Third parties won't come back and the ones that are still there will move away over time. The Wii U lacks the design to expand gaming. All that's left is to convince Nintendo fans that the system is worth buying and for that cause Nintendo needs to release sequels to their established IPs without wacky experimental ideas. Build an installed base, then sell a lot of software until 2017/18 when a new Nintendo console can launch. Hopefully one that has some thought put into it.

The new Retro IP you guys were dreaming of was most likely a singleplayer game with no broad appeal. The same would hold true for Metroid Prime 4. DKC5 had to be made first, because the hardware needs to sell.

Thats what mario 3d, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are for. Donky Kong may sell well but It will do nothing for the system that these other titles won't do 10x better. In fact it will do nothing for the system that Pikmin, New Super Mario Bros U or New Super Luigi won't already have done by the time of its release. You mention that they need to focus on core nintendo fans, but not one single fan has said over the past 2 years, I really hope Retro are working on another DK. Fair enough that some peeps will be excited by this and purchase the wii U, but those are the same people who would purchase the systems for mario etc, DK is just another platformer to add to the list. Now Nintendo are in risk of alienating a margin of fans through severe repetition (me being one of them), and negating the possibility for them to draw new ones.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
hsrob said:
Oh well, here's to hoping DKR2 is awesome! I seem to be one of the few that thought the trailer looked great from the outset and had all indications of improving on the Wii game.

Of course it's gonna be awesome! And I think we all think the trailer looked great and we're all looking forward to play it, but a lot of peeps are disappointed by the fact that this took Retro 3 years to make and they don't have anything else to show for probably the next 3 years...

Saying I was one of the few was a slight exageration but there are an awful lot of people claiming that this is lame, derivative, a waste of Retro's time and talent as though making awesome platformers is something that is easily done.  I honestly think comments like these are a little ill-informed, it if was so easy there would be many others.

I think it's funny that so many people seem to think all Retro can do is either DK or Metroid, because thus far that's all they've ever done. I personally don't WANT to see them make another Metroid game. The Prime games were great. But the trilogy is enough. Let it stand alone. I want to see them tackle something else after DKC.

Th3PANO said:
they said, they can work on a big and small game. and dkcr doesn't seem like it is one of the big games to make. it runs on an improved engine, only level design, other enemies + 2 new kong's are new so far. also, the wii u has almost the same architecture. it can't be that hard to do a game, they wont need 110 employees for a freaking dkc r sequel.

So I've just concluded that DK: Tropical freeze is a 3DS game that was ported to the Wii U once the sales were revealed to be dire. Have a look at these Screen shots, these are not HD assets, no way! Rare would never be this lazy. They worked on a fur sim, but other than that look at the lighting/ Shaders/texture/polygon count etc,this is blatantly a up ressed 3DS game. Once Nintendo decided they were going to move this game from the 3DS to the wii U, they decided to port the original DK country returns to the 3DS instead.

looking at the graphical qualityI feel relieved because there is no way this is all they've working on. I don't know why they wouldn't just say "we're also working on something" else but its possible they spent a year or more, creating a new IP which has since been canned :(

hsrob said:
DanneSandin said:
hsrob said:

Saying I was one of the few was a slight exageration but there are an awful lot of people claiming that this is lame, derivative, a waste of Retro's time and talent as though making awesome platformers is something that is easily done.  I honestly think comments like these are a little ill-informed, it if was so easy there would be many others.

I think that most people are saying these things out of disappointment; they really wanted Retro to do something else. I'm sure they'll buy the game and love it, but in the end, it's not the game they were hoping for.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I think Internet people put Metroid WAY too high up on a pedestal. It's an alright series, but DKC is better. At least 2D DKC.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.