By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony copying MS: No analog video out on PS4

iron_megalith said:
Oh hell no... So much for gaming in the province.

At least they can't complain about it as there is no internet available.

Around the Network

I might game on my PC monitor in future then, that has HDMI

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

3rd world countries might not like that. That sucks for them.

Why are we even discussing this?
Beginning with the AACS Adopter Agreement, which came into force 1 January 2011, any blu-ray device was forced (at least in theory) to "downgrade" analogue video output. 2013 was the end for analogue video output for blu-ray devices.
Since it is 2013 now, and both consoles have blu-ray video hardware (the WiiU is not blu-ray, go figure why it has analogue out..), neither console can have analogue video out.

drkohler said:
Beginning with the AACS Adopter Agreement, which came into force 1 January 2011, any blu-ray device was forced (at least in theory) to "downgrade" analogue video output. 2013 was the end for analogue video output for blu-ray devices.
Since it is 2013 now, and both consoles have blu-ray video hardware (the WiiU is not blu-ray, go figure why it has analogue out..), neither console can have analogue video out.

Because Sony's specs changed. This was before E3:

Main Processor
 Single-chip custom processor
 CPU :  x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”,  8 cores
 GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS,  AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
 graphics engine

Memory
 GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
 Built-in

Optical Drive (read only)
 BD 6xCAV
 DVD 8xCAV

I/O
 Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX

Communication
 Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
 IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
 Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
 HDMI
===>   Analog-AV out    <===
 Digital Output (optical)

Around the Network
Talal said:
3rd world countries might not like that. That sucks for them.

No, gaming in 3rd world countries especially the Console side is seen as a luxurious hobby. If you have one it means you can afford to buy a good TV. 

It looks like some of the posters here are ignoring Xen's post and mine. Just here in my Country PS4 will cost me $500-$600 or even more  at launch because Sony doesn't distribute in my country. Do you think people who can afford that can't afford to buy a HD TV?

it should have been removed from PS3 to be honest, "HD" games look horrible on SD tvs you can't read any text and you just end up hurting your eyes.

oh noes, the outrage and hate was deafening...

anyways, this fucks with me.  my TV is HDMI but my reciever is not.  guess i'm going to have to upgrade my reciever before i join the next gen unless i want to stick with my TV speakers (and i most definently do not want that).

walsufnir said:
drkohler said:

Because Sony's specs changed. This was before E3:

Main Processor
 Single-chip custom processor
 CPU :  x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”,  8 cores
 GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS,  AMD next-generation Radeon™ based
 graphics engine

Memory
 GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
 Built-in

Optical Drive (read only)
 BD 6xCAV
 DVD 8xCAV

I/O
 Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX

Communication
 Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
 IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
 Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
 HDMI
===>   Analog-AV out    <===

And it was clear right from the start this can't be true..

Yes! I can tell off my grandma by stating she can't plug the damn thing into her TV! No more building complicated webs of lies to keep her of my consoles!