By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One family sharing works with friends!

SxyxS said:
KHlover said:
Finally some good news. Why did they wait so long to clarify this, though? IMO the biggest mistake of the Xbone marketing. They let rumors grow far too long before shooting them down (if at all).

simple to explain-there was nothing to clarify in the past days.But now they have reacted and changed some rules.

If there had been nothing to clarify we wouldn't have had so many rumors <b>after</b> the announcement.

Around the Network

It seems like a lot of people here don't want this to be true! I'm not sure why. This will be one of the coolest features I've seen in a long time. So far I haven't heard any conflicting reports from anyone in Microsoft. I think people are adding info from rumors and that's why it isn't clear to them.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

KylieDog said:
I'm not giving my account details to friends...

This system sucks as long as I cannot just give a game to a friend, and only the game, and not need do anything else.

Why would you?

You, as the person sharing your library of games, add that gamertag to your list of family.

OMG!  So much work and so much account information!!!

So if I buy forza 5 and play it a lot, someone else can play it but when I want to do a few Laps I would have to Skype or call about to make sure no one else is playing it

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

This is fantastic news; as long as we can switch out who is on our "family" list whenever we want, we really don't need lending as it has traditionally been done. Also, we can share with anyone in the world! Way better than only being able to share with people who you can give the disc to in person.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
They should come out again and explain everything down to the tiniest detail. This is useless. You really think they will allow 10 people to play the single player campaign this easy? They won't, for the simple fact that this defeats the whole purpose of implementing DRM and a daily internet authentication.

How does it defeat the purpose of DRM?

The purpose of DRM is to assure that the person who paid for that digital copy of the content is in control and posession of that digital copy of the content.

Unlike the physical media, where only one person can be in possession of the disc at one time, in digital content an exact duplicate can be made an distributed without any changes to or from the original version.  Thus, sharing becomes giving.  The solution to that is to restrict where digital content will run with DRM.  DRM ensures the copyright holder that the person in possession of the content is the person to whom it was licensed.

The Xbox 360 allowed for any player connected to the console to be able to play any downloaded content that was downloaded after the account was added.  It wasn't really a feature, because it wasn't intended.  It was simply a limitation of the console.  With the Xbox One, Microsoft is not only making that a feature, so that all content on the system is available to who ever is logged into the console, but also any content can be shared with up to 10 people.  The PS3 had a similar feature but it was restricted to content being available on up to 5 devices.  The Xbox One doesn't limit by device. 

I can go anywhere, to any console, log in and I have access to my games.  I can install and I can play them, and so can anyone else on that console.  Likewise, anyone who I've designated a "family" member can access my content from any console anywhere in the world, so long as no one else is using it.

More to the point, it won't hurt sales.  My inclusion as a part of someone else's "family" may be temporary and fleeting.  So my ability to play the game one day, vs. the next will be up to whoever's family I am in.  But with multiplayer games, I'm SOL.  I can't play a game with my friend AND play the game myself.  I have to buy the game.

So, it won't really be different from how things work today, just you family member you share with won't necessarily live right down the road from you or won't necessarily be a family member.  It can be anyone you know.  Their right to the game lasts as long as you give them access to it.  Once that's gone, you'll need a new "family" to get it from or just buy it yourself.

kowenicki said:
Skeeuk said:
So if I buy forza 5 and play it a lot, someone else can play it but when I want to do a few Laps I would have to Skype or call about to make sure no one else is playing it

Yes. And if you had physically lent it to him you would have to drive to his house and bring it back.... Then take it back so he could play, then bring it back so you could play, then....

why do we have to try and find fault with a very very good feature.

Seriously... This is pathetic now.

Microsoft clearly showed during the E3 how serious they are about hardcore gamers by beating Sony down in term of games (This 399$ seriously saved Sony's ass). But still PS3 fans are coming and trying to destroy every good feature of the Xbox One; as they afraid or what?

Even if this is obviously very good and even better than having to "lend" the physical copy to a friend, people still find a way to complain about it.

OP: This is a very good news and it will be way better than having to lend my physical copy (with the risk of having it lost, damaged, etc...)

I highly, highly doubt this feature works as easily as they are making it seem. But it sounds incredible. It's better than loaning out games to friends. You loan out any game you want to 10 of your friends. And they can access them any time. Seems way better than what we can do on 360/PS3/PS4. For example I loaned a friend Bioshock Infinite for PS3 a few weeks after it came out. He kept it the week he said he would, but then kept forgetting to bring it for another week and admittedly, never played it much as he never got into it. With this feature he could have just tried it from my library and be done with it.

This has been out there for nearly a week now and has gone largely ignored.  Although it only allows 1 the game to be played on one console at a time.  Still I can purchase a game and my son at school will have near instant access to it 100s of miles away.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Adinnieken said:
LurkerJ said:
They should come out again and explain everything down to the tiniest detail. This is useless. You really think they will allow 10 people to play the single player campaign this easy? They won't, for the simple fact that this defeats the whole purpose of implementing DRM and a daily internet authentication.

How does it defeat the purpose of DRM?

The purpose of DRM is to assure that the person who paid for that digital copy of the content is in control and posession of that digital copy of the content.

Unlike the physical media, where only one person can be in possession of the disc at one time, in digital content an exact duplicate can be made an distributed without any changes to or from the original version.  Thus, sharing becomes giving.  The solution to that is to restrict where digital content will run with DRM.  DRM ensures the copyright holder that the person in possession of the content is the person to whom it was licensed.

The Xbox 360 allowed for any player connected to the console to be able to play any downloaded content that was downloaded after the account was added.  It wasn't really a feature, because it wasn't intended.  It was simply a limitation of the console.  With the Xbox One, Microsoft is not only making that a feature, so that all content on the system is available to who ever is logged into the console, but also any content can be shared with up to 10 people.  The PS3 had a similar feature but it was restricted to content being available on up to 5 devices.  The Xbox One doesn't limit by device. 

I can go anywhere, to any console, log in and I have access to my games.  I can install and I can play them, and so can anyone else on that console.  Likewise, anyone who I've designated a "family" member can access my content from any console anywhere in the world, so long as no one else is using it.

More to the point, it won't hurt sales.  My inclusion as a part of someone else's "family" may be temporary and fleeting.  So my ability to play the game one day, vs. the next will be up to whoever's family I am in.  But with multiplayer games, I'm SOL.  I can't play a game with my friend AND play the game myself.  I have to buy the game.

So, it won't really be different from how things work today, just you family member you share with won't necessarily live right down the road from you or won't necessarily be a family member.  It can be anyone you know.  Their right to the game lasts as long as you give them access to it.  Once that's gone, you'll need a new "family" to get it from or just buy it yourself.

I am waiting for more clarifications from MS. A family member doesn't have to be a family member, how does that make any sense? If I really can share my game with ten people that easily then wow, Xbone isn't horrible at ALL, or less horrible than everyone thinks it is.