By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One family sharing works with friends!

g911turbo said:
VGhippy said:
I don't know, I'd wager MS has a simple algorithm to prevent this. If they can ship it with rocket science level tech but they are unable to put in a couple of lines of code on their servers to prevent people from having 10 brothers from other mothers i'd be very surprised. For all we know you could be banned for doing that if they find you abusing the system.

I assume you are referring to my Paypal system.  So let me ask you this, can you EXPLICITLY define what is abuse and what is not?  This guy DID say you didn't have to be related.

See what I mean about Microsoft complicating things? lol

Hi

Sry I wasn't referring to anyone's system in specific. I don't know what microsoft would define as abuse, it's up to them. He did say it didn't have to be a blood relative but this implies it still has to be a relative or he would simply say it didn't have to be a relative. The friend thing means nothing because an non-blood related relative can be a friend, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Sharing between family members is a great feature, but a lot of people are reading what they want into this and hyping it into something it isn't.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
VGhippy said:
I don't know, I'd wager MS has a simple algorithm to prevent this. If they can ship it with rocket science level tech but they are unable to put in a couple of lines of code on their servers to prevent people from having 10 brothers from other mothers i'd be very surprised. For all we know you could be banned for doing that if they find you abusing the system.

Shared games are going to be in the cloud.  I am sure the content in the cloud is going to end up having its data checked to prevent unofficial modification of code.

Sry I meant it would be official code from microsoft to prevent people sharing with people who are not related to them.

Now that is a cool feature. Still not agreeing with all of their policies but this is surely a big plus for xbox fans.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

VGhippy said:

Sharing between family members is a great feature, but a lot of people are reading what they want into this and hyping it into something it isn't.

As a supporter of the Xbox brand, it has been a torturous month for me and people alike. Where MS does everything wrong, Sony does everything right, you can't help but to want this, which is the only good news coming from MS so far.

Well see how long This last, Sony did 5 systems at the start. Now it's 2 ps3's. Ms is goon to looses their ass on this. Mark my words, they are still hinding something or they will cut the numbers back after they realize how it's going to hurt thier sales.

Around the Network
g911turbo said:
maximrace said:
OMG about the two people actually downplaying an awsome feature like this

More like skeptical on the details (which are extremely important).

On top of all that, Microsoft can get rid of it completely should they choose (they say right there on the link everyone keeps referencing, it's in plain fucking English), claiming people are abusing it. 

Not entirely.

In the US, there is case law which governs how one can treat a license.  When one purchases a license, they are entitled to the use of that license from that point on.  That includes lending it and the resale of it.

They could certainly change aspects of it, however the legal system has already decided that the sale of a physical copy and the sale of a digital licence to use, are in essence the same. 

The EU legal system, has likewise decided similiarly.

So there is at least a basic legal foundation from which both consumers and content producers have to start with and can rely upon.  An attempt by any company to abridge those rights would be met, as they have been in the past, with a lawsuit.

As I have said elsewhere, digital content and DRM is where things are headed.  People can stick their heads in the sand and say I won't participate, and they can protest, but the reality is that consumer convience rules.  The better option is to figure out what does or doesn't work and be vocal about what doesn't work.

This is a much broader discussion than Microsoft, the Xbox One, and gaming.  Content across all media forms is moving digital and consumers are the ones that should be setting the expectations.  Not by ranting about what possibly could be, because companies will sit there and say "That's not what we're doing, so we're ok.", and not about what misinformation on the subject you heard, because likewise they'll say the same.  But what is it specifically about what they're doing and how they're doing it don't you like, and how would you change or improve it so it would be acceptable to you? 

Until you get there, until you're helping to move toward the goal rather than fighting against it, people won't listen to you.  Like I said, content is going digital.  You can either consider all aspects of your physical media use today, how you'd want a digital content future to fit into that, and communicate that or be a luddite that yells and screams, or bitches and snides about digital content and DRM.

What Microsoft has proposed for DRM on the Xbox One seems reasonable.  It's better than the DRM on Xbox 360, the PS3, and the PS4, with the one exception that of offline and secondary-system play.  And I have personally communicated my issue with that to Microsoft along with how I would solve those problems.

Your purpose isn't to communicate real issues, because what you're talking about isn't a real issue.  It's called F.U.D.;  Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.  There is just as much uncertainty with the Xbox One's DRM as there is with the PS4's.  Was Sony not absolute when it said that Online Multiplayer would be free on PSN?  Huh.  Guess such absolute statements aren't as absolute as they really are.  Things change, but unlike the promise of an alternative OS on the PS3 or free multiplayer on PSN, licensing has a legal foundation from which consumers can will, and should take a stand if content providers attempt to abridge or infringe those rights.

TL;DR:  STFU unless you have something constructive to actually say.

It sounds like a nice feature, but still feels strange.

First of all, I find it rather hard to believe that what we are talking about here is exactly what Microsoft had in mind when they wrote that paragraph.
Why does that article so clearly distinguish between "friends" and "your family", when you can simply declare just anyone as being "your family"?
Why did no one figure this out before when it's so obvious?
Why didn't Microsoft point this out before when it would have been such an easy and obvious way to silence at least some of the criticism?

I just don't believe that Microsoft originally intended it this way.
I believe: Either they just decided to point people at a possible loophole in the license after the criticism just wouldn't stop, or there is at least one catch to this "your family" stuff that people don't quite realize yet (or both).

This whole Xbone DRM stuff is quite confusing!

I'm skeptical that this is real as MS describes it because of the following:

10 friends buy 1 copy and digitally share among themselves means 9 less copies are potentially not sold. This is GREAT for the gamers...yet not so great for publishers. Multiply this by 10 games and suddenly you have 90 unsold copies.

There's a big catch here which MS has yet to identify.

People can start their own rental business by taking some payment over paypal and giving them the family share access for a limited time.

MCPOxxxAAG said:
VGhippy said:

As a supporter of the Xbox brand, it has been a torturous month for me and people alike. Where MS does everything wrong, Sony does everything right, you can't help but to want this, which is the only good news coming from MS so far.

Not sure what you mean by a support of a brand.  I have an Xbox 360 and use it the most out of all 3 of my last gen systems.  But I am not a fan of the DRM policies that restrict my used game selling.  I support product by product.

Doesn't mean anything about MS doing everything wrong or have anything to do with Sony.  Don't you think I want to be able to play the next Halo, etc.? 

And believe me, Sony doesn't do everything right LOL.  Far from it.  Same with Nintendo.  Unfortunately, MS is banking on your "brand loyalty" or addiction to Halo.  If they didn't think they could get away with all this DRM stuff, they wouldn't do it.  They probably WILL get away with it, which makes me a little sad.  The next step isn't a used game sale digital market.  Its used game GONE all together (since that works better for them, full control).

Fantastic news.

Who lends discs still now unh?/??

Well done Microsoft. Love the internet.