By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ATLUS in problems? Is it the end of the company?!

Tagged games:

ATLUS IS HAVING TROUBLE RIGHT NOW:

"Today on Yamamoto Ichiro’s (CEO of data analysis company, Irregulars and Partners) blog – some interesting details have surfaced surrounding one of my favourite companies – Atlus – or rather their parent company Index – who are under investigation for fraud.

The result’s of which could prove potentially devastating for the company who brought gamer’s some of the finest JRPGs ever made.

So taking it from the top? Index are the focus of a criminal investigation. A lot of people have been talking about the hedge fund from Yamato Fumiaki at Nexon, Shingo Akigusa at Index and the Incubator Bank of Japan and NIS Group. There was a rumour of ‘window dressing’ of games companies – inflating sales by moving money round and around companies – so that Index could maintain an illusion of a stable financial position.

Basically, there’s been some rather ‘interesting’ trade going on.

The result? According to an article by NHK this morning (kinda like Japan’s BBC) the police have raided Index Japan’s offices as well as individual employees houses.

Yamamoto contacted Index to find out what was going on – but, unsurprisingly at this stage, nobody seems to know anything. Yamamoto believes that someone was controlling the funding in order to do this ‘window dressing’ on a personal level rather than on a company-wide level…

Shocking news for sure, but how unusual it?

Rumour has it,  such practices are not as rare as you’d think. With old colleagues from companies remaining in contact long after they have gone their separate ways, so that they may collude and profit from each other’s new enterprises.

When money is being moved from company to company – it is usually with the intention of manipulating of stock price. The question is, when this is creamed off the top – where does that money go?

It’s safe to assume nowhere legitimate."

SOURCE: (OF THE SOURCE)   Kirik Tea Nifty.com

Around the Network

Wouldn't care if Atlus was as worthless as EA/Activision as far as it goes in making games...

But I hope not too many bad things come of it. At least no game cancellations, please! I heard they're making Persona 5 atm, and I'd hate to see it cut off because of financial manipulation...

@Xen   I wanna play Catherine 2 :(

Acclaim, THQ, now Atlus
Way to take away all the companies I liked. Yes, I have a weird taste and don't dive into all the AAA madness.

Wright said:

Is there any word of something like it, or just your request? Never heard of a sequel to Catherine, tho I would love one.

...if Index/Atlus make it out safely, that is.

Around the Network

Noo no please, not Atlus..
If that happens Gaming will collapse.

Ostro said:
Acclaim, THQ, now Atlus
Way to take away all the companies I liked. Yes, I have a weird taste and don't dive into all the AAA madness.

I'd kill for a new Trauma Center :(

The financial trouble is with the parent company and not Atlus themselves. If things do take a turn for the worse i hope Nintendo goes in for the rescue. They got a joint project with them afterall, and if they get ATLUS exclusively it would move many units in japan.

Even though i would love to have persona 5 on my Vita. But Sony doesnt seem in shape to save anyone at this point. They have their hands full.

Xen said:
Wright said:

Is there any word of something like it, or just your request? Never heard of a sequel to Catherine, tho I would love one.

...if Index/Atlus make it out safely, that is.

No, there's none. And as far as I know, all nine endings of Catherine were closed ones. I loved the story (The gameplay not so much, but hey), so a spiritual sequel would be awesome.

Nem said:

They got a joint project with them afterall

Which project would that be? I don't know about it.