By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ATLUS in problems? Is it the end of the company?!

Tagged games:

Mmmfishtacos said:
Sony will scoop them up, no doubt.

Sony should BUY them.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
Sony Microsoft  will scoop them up, no doubt.

Fixed ;)

I would love to see the meltdowns...

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Sony Microsoft  will scoop them up, no doubt.

Fixed ;)

I would love to see the meltdowns...

Why? So MS can kill off any hope of good games still coming from this studio? MS owning a japaneses company, lol not going to happen.

Looking at their resume of releases this company is a gaming legend. they release stuff for almost every platform. Would be really sad to see them go.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:

No. They're mismanaged in the same way that Team Ico is mismanaged by Sony. They make great games and they hardly put anything out. They've only made two Wii games (which one NA didn't even get and the other took prodding and prying) and helped on SRT games with Namco + Soma Bringer. They could be far bigger than are, but they're forced to have fewer projects than they should and the games they make are very rarely if ever promoted by Nintendo.

They made several DS games, but their big console RPGs take like 3-4 years to make (and Xenoblade is HUGE, and X looks to be the same) so no wonder they haven't gotten that many games out. Plus I don't think Monolith were that big and they recently expanded.

Nintendo's handling of Xenoblade was bad but we'll see what happens with X. It seems like they're already planning to localize it. And at least Monolith has released a couple games in the past couple years, and X is coming out next year. Team Ico has released absolutely nothing in like 7 years...

And about Atlus, their console output as of late isn't anything to write home about...

And their handling of Disaster and Soma Bringer. Those are the only two titles that they've made with Nintendo since Baten Kaitos Origins. -_-

It's not as bad as Team Ico, but they did remaster Shadow of the Colosus and Ico. Not sure if they did internal though.

Atlus just put out Persona 4 Golden, Soul Hackers, and Persona 4 Arena (made with Arc System Works like Monolith worked on the Namco titles). Both are very big titles and very good. Their USA branch is also much better in all areas as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

No. They're mismanaged in the same way that Team Ico is mismanaged by Sony. They make great games and they hardly put anything out. They've only made two Wii games (which one NA didn't even get and the other took prodding and prying) and helped on SRT games with Namco + Soma Bringer. They could be far bigger than are, but they're forced to have fewer projects than they should and the games they make are very rarely if ever promoted by Nintendo.

Let's not confuse NoA with the entirety of Nintendo here... The Japanese and European branches did a fine job supporting Xenoblade. The game got TV ads in Japan, interviews with both developers and composers through Iwata Asks, a limited edition bundle with a classic controller pro and signed posters in PAL areas, a localization with 2 voice tracks and 5 language tracks, reversible covers voted by fans, and a commemorative coin along with ones for The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. And while I do agree with the criticism towards NoA's late and somewhat limited release (as well as not localizing their other games of course, specially Disaster), they did end up doing a few of these things as well afterwards, and they have been much more supportive of "X" so far.

Monolith is certainly better with Nintendo than how they were with Namco, which had them censor all 3 Xenosaga games in order to avoid an M rating, didn't include the original VA on any of their US releases, didn't publish their games in PAL areas (with Nintendo doing it for Baten Kaitos there, and later with Origins in the US), and only localized one out of 4 DS games. And their current work on Namco's games is a consequence of their transition, with Namco originally holding a stake in them. A consequence I for one have no problem with, as I'm interested in said games...

In fact, I would even go further and say that Nintendo has easily being one of the biggest JRPG supporters of this past gen (which addmitely isn't a lot...). Not only they funded these new IPs and their usual releases of Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Mario RPGs, but they also brought back niche series like Golden Sun and Glory of Heracles, and published 3rd party RPGs in the West like Dragon Quest, Solatorobo, Inazuma Eleven and Children of Mana. And now they're publishing Bravely Default in the West and Shin Megami Tensei IV in PAL areas and Korea. It's actually quite ridiculous how little credit Nintendo gets from JRPG fans in general after all this while Sony gets praised for getting 3rd party JRPGs that have nothing to do with them, refusing to localize most of their own JRPGs (Wild Arms, Brave Story, Demon's Souls, Ore no Shikabane), and investing less and less on the genre.

PS: Monolith also helped on the development of Brawl and Skyward Sword, which is something to consider while evaluating their output.

The world needs Persona 5.

seiya19 said:
outlawauron said:

Let's not confuse NoA with the entirety of Nintendo here... The Japanese and European branches did a fine job supporting Xenoblade. The game got TV ads in Japan, interviews with both developers and composers through Iwata Asks, a limited edition bundle with a classic controller pro and signed posters in PAL areas, a localization with 2 voice tracks and 5 language tracks, reversible covers voted by fans, and a commemorative coin along with ones for The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. And while I do agree with the criticism towards NoA's late and somewhat limited release (as well as not localizing their other games of course, specially Disaster), they did end up doing a few of these things as well afterwards, and they have been much more supportive of "X" so far.

Monolith is certainly better with Nintendo than how they were with Namco, which had them censor all 3 Xenosaga games in order to avoid an M rating, didn't include the original VA on any of their US releases, didn't publish their games in PAL areas (with Nintendo doing it for Baten Kaitos there, and later with Origins in the US), and only localized one out of 4 DS games. And their current work on Namco's games is a consequence of their transition, with Namco originally holding a stake in them. A consequence I for one have no problem with, as I'm interested in said games...

In fact, I would even go further and say that Nintendo has easily being one of the biggest JRPG supporters of this past gen (which addmitely isn't a lot...). Not only they funded these new IPs and their usual releases of Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Mario RPGs, but they also brought back niche series like Golden Sun and Glory of Heracles, and published 3rd party RPGs in the West like Dragon Quest, Solatorobo, Inazuma Eleven and Children of Mana. And now they're publishing Bravely Default in the West and Shin Megami Tensei IV in PAL areas and Korea. It's actually quite ridiculous how little credit Nintendo gets from JRPG fans in general after all this while Sony gets praised for getting 3rd party JRPGs that have nothing to do with them, refusing to localize most of their own JRPGs (Wild Arms, Brave Story, Demon's Souls, Ore no Shikabane), and investing less and less on the genre.

PS: Monolith also helped on the development of Brawl and Skyward Sword, which is something to consider while evaluating their output.

i didn't even realize how much nintendo is helping the JRPG until i read this post now i love them more for making sure one of my favorite genres is still around 

They should have kept their games on Sony systems.

seiya19 said:
outlawauron said:

Only one of the Namco DS titles was localized because no publisher wants to pay to cost of licensing to release it in the US. I'm glad Atlus released Endless Frontier as it's my favorite DS title.

And yes, the European branch does support it a lot better, if only that meant something to me. Considering the Wii isn't region free (I know you can mod it to be so), I couldn't buy these Europeans versions if I wanted to. Also, Sony doesn't get flack for not localizing because they allow and work with other companies to assist in these localizations. Not to mention that none of them were developed internally with Sony except for Ore no Shikabane, which is a shame. Look at Fatal Frame 4. Published by Nintendo in Japan, but Nintendo has said that they have no plans to localize it here in the US. Ok, that's fine, then let another company do it. They're not even willing to license the IP to someone else in order for it to be released anywhere else. >_>

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.