By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony not "Defensive" or "Apologetic" about PS4 Multiplayer: except Yoshida

Is it reasonable?

Yes 174 69.05%

No 76 30.16%

Total:250
HikenNoAce said:
The Fury said:

I'm more willing to pay £5-10 a year just for online gaming than £40 for that and everything else. I had PS+ once after the issue and once again with a free code, I don't think I used the 'free games' much and nor did I use Cloud Storage, they weren't to my interest.

MS require you to pay £30 for everything though, this includes all online features, not just playing multiplayer. You need it for Netflix, which you already pay for. MS had an argument with BBC about iPlayer, they wanted it only to be available to those who paid gold. They lost that.

UK voted with their wallets? They did indeed, they bought the significantly cheaper Wii over the 360 and the cheaper 360 over the PS3. I'm sure though many might not have realised that after 3 years and an extra £90 that the costs were the same.

If you don't find enough games to justify your £40, then you might want to re-think gaming as a hobby.

Also, update your factsheet - the 360 is about to overtake the Wii the UK. Also, the PS4 is cheaper than the XboxOne. At the end of the day, most people see value in PS+ but there will always be the vocal minority who are never happy.

When I get round to it and get a PS4 and a game has online, I may find great things in the PS+ games but for now I don't see that.

My mistake on the numbers, I used this website as my factsheet, for some reason it defaulted to 2011 when I looked at UK sales. Well done to 360. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
HikenNoAce said:
The Fury said:

I'm more willing to pay £5-10 a year just for online gaming than £40 for that and everything else. I had PS+ once after the issue and once again with a free code, I don't think I used the 'free games' much and nor did I use Cloud Storage, they weren't to my interest.

MS require you to pay £30 for everything though, this includes all online features, not just playing multiplayer. You need it for Netflix, which you already pay for. MS had an argument with BBC about iPlayer, they wanted it only to be available to those who paid gold. They lost that.

UK voted with their wallets? They did indeed, they bought the significantly cheaper Wii over the 360 and the cheaper 360 over the PS3. I'm sure though many might not have realised that after 3 years and an extra £90 that the costs were the same.

If you don't find enough games to justify your £40, then you might want to re-think gaming as a hobby.

Also, update your factsheet - the 360 is about to overtake the Wii the UK. Also, the PS4 is cheaper than the XboxOne. At the end of the day, most people see value in PS+ but there will always be the vocal minority who are never happy.

When I get round to it and get a PS4 and a game has online, I may find great things in the PS+ games but for now I don't see that.

My mistake on the numbers, I used this website as my factsheet, for some reason it defaulted to 2011 when I looked at UK sales. Well done to 360. 

So, as you can see, the UK people said a big YES to paid online gaming. In any case, that doesn't change anything for me - I'm already a PS+ subscriber.

Normando said:
I wonder if you could still use things like Netflix without a PS+ account? That's more annoying to me than paying to play online.

yes you can, and even with a pay wall not all "online Multi-player games on the ps4 will require PSN+"

confirmed by Yoshida:

Finally, he was asked if players will need a PS Plus subscription to play MMORPGs like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and The Elder Scrolls Online:

You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer.
This will also depend on the judgement by the publishers, and there will be some free to play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Again if no one is paying attention, not all online Multi-player Games on the PS4 will REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE PLAYSTATION +

"Finally, he was asked if players will need a PS Plus subscription to play MMORPGs like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and The Elder Scrolls Online:

confirmed by Yoshida!

You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer.
This will also depend on the judgement by the publishers, and there will be some free to play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

They should have a second tier pay subscription where you get just multiplayer for $10/year or something. They could call it "Playstation =".

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Does Yoshida's apology count?

He also went as far as to apologize for placing an additional cost on the customers’ wallets:

I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

- I think this was posted here before with a request for a title change ^^

tiffac said:

Does Yoshida's apology count?

He also went as far as to apologize for placing an additional cost on the customers’ wallets:

I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

- I think this was posted here before with a request for a title change ^^

Yoshida has a one up on Jim Ryan, so yeah that counts. I can make mention in OP/title.

Yoshida does explain the conditions and they are more reasonable than what was on the 360. F2P access, asynchronous, publisher dependant MMO access, media apps. Wish it wasn't so though.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BenVTrigger said:
Blood_Tears said:
BenVTrigger said:
They have no reason to be either one of those.

Anyone who was paying attention couldve called they would charge. In fact I called it back in February. MS got away with it this entire generation and the cost of maintaining the entire infrastructure is huge. As soon as Sony created Plus I knew pay to play was coming.

And . s a solid business decision.

Speaking of which, I didn't see any information on PS4 pre-orders from you at gamestop. How are pre-orders going compared to X1?

PS4 is doing amazing. Hasnt reached a sell out yet at most stores yet though.

All in all both X1 and PS4 are gonna have massive launches. Probably the two biggest launches in terms of units in the history of the industry.

Though I believe MS may struggle to meet demand which could certainly affect their launch. Expect both consoles to be hard to get without a pre order for at least the first 3 - 4 months.

That is great to see and not really surprising to be honest.

This generation has been the longest, people really are starving for something new and exciting. A lot of those who enjoy power, already switched to PC some time ago. You can see that this gen is very tired since even with aprox. 120 million active userbase, you now see flop by flop (maybe a bit harsh, especially considering the growing digital sales but definitely not big successes) like Metro Last Light, Remember Me, Fuse, Grid 2 to mention a few recent releases.

And even though he see a lot of cross-gen games, probably more then during the last transition, probably because games engines weren't that scalable and difference in power gen to gen was bigger than now, I think from the known announced games, we're up to definitely the strongest launches in both Playstation and Xbox brands history. The amount of games (140 in development for PS4 to release during first year on the market) indicates we won't see a software drought like in the case of the Wii U. PS4 also sports a very appealing price tag. The only thing I can see, that would be a difficulty sustaining those strong launch sales is the rough economy at the moment, that should be a major concern for the Big 2.

Still both should find success at launch, PS4 is shaping up to be the promised land of the core gamers, Xbone less so, but it has a wider appeal beyond the core gamer and had a very solid E3 conference games-wise.

Anyway It's good to finally see some encouraging news, enough with the doom :P

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!