By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony not "Defensive" or "Apologetic" about PS4 Multiplayer: except Yoshida

Is it reasonable?

Yes 174 69.05%

No 76 30.16%

Total:250

Even though I recently purchased Plus for the first time, and plan to renew membership indefinitely, I'll say that announcing people must pay to play online is a dick move by Sony.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Around the Network
HikenNoAce said:
The Fury said:
They really should split up the costs into individual packages. £5 for just online play, £10 for all the rentals, £30 for everything. Something like that. The rentals and cloud stuff does not benefit me, doesn't now... okay so it might be good but I still don't agree with paying for online play.

You've bought the game and that includes the ability to use all parts of it, including the multiplayer parts. Maybe games could include 2 week PS+ passes with them, Sony are out all of £2.50 and I get to at least experience my purchased game online. The idea being that maybe I'll enjoy it enough to fork out the rest of the fee.

£5 per year for online? Lol. MS gets away with charging £30. I mean consumers in the UK voted with their wallet, right? And they chose the 360 despite the online fee.

I'm more willing to pay £5-10 a year just for online gaming than £40 for that and everything else. I had PS+ once after the issue and once again with a free code, I don't think I used the 'free games' much and nor did I use Cloud Storage, they weren't to my interest.

MS require you to pay £30 for everything though, this includes all online features, not just playing multiplayer. You need it for Netflix, which you already pay for. MS had an argument with BBC about iPlayer, they wanted it only to be available to those who paid gold. They lost that.

UK voted with their wallets? They did indeed, they bought the significantly cheaper Wii over the 360 and the cheaper 360 over the PS3. I'm sure though many might not have realised that after 3 years and an extra £90 that the costs were the same.

Hmm, pie.

Bonafide732 said:
Fifaguy360 said:
Gaikai offering BC through cloud. PSN+ is worth it. Still a better deal than XBL.

That's what I'm hoping too is gakai gonna be an extra fee? are we gonna need to repay for games we already owned in the past? is gakai just for old games if all of t hat is  included its worth it

I imagine you might need to have the PS3 disc in your PS4 (verifying the disc should easily be possible for PS4, it just can't play the code) or a license for the game in your account to stream it with gaikai. At first only PS3 blockbusters will be made available that way from what I heard.

I am a Plus subscriber since 2011, so I really don't give shit about it being mandatory... It's a great service anyway.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I'll be a Plus subscriber once my dissertation is finished and probably will never look back.

I've watched GT's Jack Trenton interview. I gotta say I really like the frankness of the whole thing. He didn't seem skittish about this move, he came out saying WHY it needed to be done and it was just good business that in the end doesn't feel like it's ripping the consumer a new one. Sure, it sucks that one of the selling points of the PS3 is gone for the PS4, but I think they've handled it beautifully. If this is to be the black spot for Sony so far with this PS4 reveal, let it be. God knows they could have done much worse "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!"

Around the Network

Worse part about this is that I can't even muster the will to be super angry at them, all I feel is relief that they didn't follow Microsoft in their draconic drm and use game measure.

So yea, thanks Microsoft, you successfully diverted my wrath, not a month ago I would have been angry as hell at Sony for not doing the right thing, and now I just sigh in exasperation.

adriane23 said:
It's like MS and SONY are robbing us on the street. But while MS is screaming at us with a gun in our face, SONY is being very polite about it. All the while Steam just wants to give us free blowjobs.

Steam is pretty awesome, but when was the last time they gave an AAA game at launch for free? Or any other AAA games (like Uncharted 3, Lbp 1 and 2 etc)?

The only game I ever remember them offerring for almost free was Age of Empires (or something similar) for 10c. I don't really see how Sony is robbing us with all the games we get for free, plus all the amazing dicounts (I don't know if you've used it, but lately it rivals Steam prices/deals).

As a PS3 owner and future PS4 owner, I can't say I am happy they are charging for MP. I have been a PS+ member for more than a year and have 12 months left on current sub. I planned to stay a member anyway before this announcement. Still ain't happy they are charging for MP

Still beats all that DRM B.S. though. If all that comes out of Sony is paying for MP... win imo

It don't bother me due to the fact you get free games, not just for PS4 but also PS3 and Vita. I hope Gaikai is included in Plus, unless that is meant to be it's own subscription

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I dont know if it has been posted already but Yoshida stated that F2P games like planetside 2 will be playable without PS+

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/