By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Fun Fact: Assassins Creed (Combined) tracking above SMG

well i doubt it will continue but i think when assassins creed will launch for ds and pc it will pass smg again but then smg will win in the end

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Dodece said:
I will not discuss which title is probably better. That is a matter of preference, and priority. I will say this being one of the established franchises lets Mario get away with things other games wouldn't be allowed to get away with. The past does color the future. I would also say what are these bugs in Assassins Creed people are talking about they must be rather innocuous, because I don't recall seeing them.

Anyway its easier to be impressed with the sales of Assassins Creed. While the combined user base is larger. The respective libraries on those platforms are not only larger, but more varied. The game sold so well in spite of consumers having a lot of great choices. You could say Mario sold well in spite of consumers not having any real choices. Thats the tragedy of the holiday season I wanted to see whether Brawl or Mario would win, and a little voice tells me that is part of why the title was delayed. Brawl might have undone Mario.

I guess what I am saying is this Mario was a gem in a pile of garbage. While Assassins Creed was a gem in a pile of gems. Last years Wii library wasn't exactly spectacular. Every Nintendo fanatic had three games on their list Mario, Smash, and Metroid. Nintendo then only delivered two. The competition was hardly fierce by any stretch of the imagination.

Assassins Creed however had to go against the likes of Ratchet, Drake, Halo, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Call of Duty, and a plethora of genre variety. Most especially on the 360 which had a very verbose second half of its year. The result Assassins Creed had to earn what it got. While Mario got his sales on a silver platter.

I think the only question is which library will bury the respective titles faster. Were the Wii to get a lot of games of the moment the sales of Galaxy would be hurt. Consumers would put off the purchase. While if the other consoles keep a strong lineup the same holds true. I think Brawl and Mariokart will hurt Galaxy sales, but in the end I think titles like Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry, and Gran Tourismo will bury the title towards the back of the shelf.

These titles will have legs only as long as nobody walks over them. So when you say any one of these titles will have long legs your equally saying that they will not face stiff competition from new releases.

I wish you would be right about the bad lineup of the Wii, but it isn't true at all. Even taking into account that I don't want SMG, because I don't like Jump&Runs I have a must-buy-list: Zack&Wiki, Endless Ocean, Mario&Sonic@Olympia, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Nights: Journey of Dreams. In short time other titles will be released: Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Fire Emblem (I'm in europe, it's not here yet), Okami Remake, Mario Kart Wii. But the games I already own eat up my budget: Metroid Prime 3:Corruption, Zelda:TP, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Link's Crossbow Training and Eledees. All are fun.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mostly off-topic but related: Anyone that thinks Assassin's Creed can be counted as one on two different consoles, should NOT complain about same-generation Pokémon games being counted as one on the same console. So that argument goes through the window /rantover

In this comparison, AC has an unfair advantage over SMG since they are both well acclaimed games, but one's on 2 consoles. Of course, the one on two consoles will win easily.

To be fair, sales of multiplatform games ought to be "normalized" in some way.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

patjuan32 said:
prlatino86,

What? There's nothing like Galaxy. Even if you try to find a game that has similar mechanics or it still does not match the gameplay of Galaxy. The gravity aspect of Prey was completely different from Galaxy and can not be compared. However, if that is your argument then Thief and Hitman gave birth to Assassins Creed. All Ubisoft did was change the setting and period where the game takes place.

Furthermore, read the reviews of each game and see what has been stated about each game. This will give a person a more objective look at the games and hopefully stem the tide of this game is better because it is on X system or Y system.

How will reading the reviews on it give someone a more objective aspect on the games?  I dont need to read the reviews, ive played both games.  Hell, i just finished AC 2 days ago.  Reading reviews doesnt give someone an objective look at a game, just has you follow the opinions of others.  I rather make opinions for myself by playing a game before i come here and tell people whether or not their opinion is bullshit. 

And how will this stem whatever tide you talk about.  Also, since when did i say anything that has to do with "One is better then the other" and that related to which system they are on?  There isnt a single post that says anything to that sort, in fact, i think i tell which i feel are both there strengths and weaknesses.    

Your comparisons arent the same, as both Prey and Glaxay's rely on "interesting" gravity and physics systems to make the gameplay.  Thief can only be compared by time in history, and Hitman and AC are similar in the sense that you have to kill people.  Their commons aspects are not as vital to the main gameplay mechanic as Preys or Galaxys is.  Killing someone is AC is just the goal.  How you get there and do it, the open ended world attempt, and what you do on the way is what makes AC ambitious and new.   

Doesnt matter anywayz, what i said was purely my opinion.  Though i do got to admit, i love how someone automatically tells you should rethink your opinion and read what others think just because your opinion of a game doesnt fit their fanbase ideal of it being perfect.  I hate that people, with certain games, cant stand someone even suggesting its less then perfect.  

Around the Network

AHHHH!!! TEH INTERWEBZ ATE A LONG POST I MADE!!!!!sigh.

Anyways, here's a recap.

Galaxy = not a rehash. Galaxy also = not better with a Gamecube pad.

1. Gravity, foo! If the gravity doesn't save it from rehash status, only two platformers in history were not rehashes: the very first one, and the first 3D one. Obviously that's not fair.

2. Shaking Wiimote = good. Jumping is the primary action in a platformer, but a poor primary attack in 3D. Guns and targetting systems ignore platformers' twitchy roots. Shaking the remote to attack allows both attacking and jumping to be equally important primary actions within twitchy gameplay because they are performed so differently.

3. Pointer = good. New ways to interact with games are fun, even if secondary. Co-Star is made possible with pointer. Co-op with non-gamers = fun.

Due to these reasons, the public has clearly rejected the idea that Galaxy is a rehash. Wii's success alone cannot fully explain Galaxy's awesome sales.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Kyros said:

I think its great AC was one of the most beautiful and innovative games out there. I'm sure SMG is a perfectly polished game but it simply is "yet another Mario game" (yamg).
Its nice to see that sometimes new IP wins although this may not last.

"it will be FAR more profitable than AC."

I doubt that. In the 5mio copies region development costs are irrelevant and PS3 and 360 games are 25% more expensive than Wii games. Ubisoft has definitely made more money with AC than Nintendo with SMG and this will last for a while. (And AC for PC sales will also be added)

So you're saying the game that has higher development costs, less sales, is third party multiplatform (porting costs are minimal when you compare it to the royalties that have to be paid per sale to Sony/MS, which are much higher than an exclusive title) somehow made more money?

Please explain, how did you come to this ridiculous viewpoint? There is absolutely no way that Ubisoft has made more money from AC than Nintendo has from SMG. You're right, when games have sold 5 million copies the development costs are insignificant, but considering Nintendo has sold more copies and makes a much bigger profit on each one, I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

This of course doesn't begin to take into account all the extra Wii sales and sales of other games that Nintendo would have benifited from with SMG. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

It will not continue that way because SMG gonna have great legs through the life cycle of the Wii.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

Kyros said:
"I don't get why we're even arguing about the sales of a game on TWO consoles vs. a game on ONE."

Because its the same game? Porting costs are apparently not that big so total sales on all available platforms is the number that matters. (Its also the number devs look to when they decide which platform to develop for)

It's not that simple...multiplatform games always get a significant boost, simply because two separate userbases are buying up the game....they simply sell more if you combine all the sales together.

Nobody compares COD4 on 360, PS3, PC, DS, PSP?'s combined sales to SMG's sales on the Wii...I don't get why AC on 2 consoles gets compared to SMG on one...because SMG is so big it should be winning?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It pretty amazing, I never expected Assassin's Creed to do this well. Good for Ubisoft. It really was a technically impressive game with the climbing, though I didn't play it too long.

I am pretty SMG may have longer legs though; not because I think it is better (which I do, but my opinion is irrelevant). SMG will stay up there longer because there are fewer "AAA" titles on Wii for the "hardcore". I don't mean this to knock either game or any platform.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.