By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anything meaningful ever come out of a Kickstarter?

Serious question.

I'm always seeing news about some new Kickstarter project, and how quickly they're collecting money for their game, but I don't think I've ever heard of any of these projects seeing daylight.

I mean the whole Kickstarter craze started what.....2 years ago or something like that? A year and a half at least. So where are all these games that people are donating money for? Am I just completely out of the loop here, or is nothing meaningful coming out of these projects?

Around the Network

Yes, the humor that comes of their ridiculous ideas.
I agree with you though. Kickstarters are more than slightly ludicrous at times. They don't ever seem to go anywhere.

I don't get it.

Nah not yet, though to be fair it didn't really start until a year ago. 2 might be stretching it.

A 2 year dev cycle for a game is pretty short especially for small teams like must Kickstarter projects. Broken Age (Double Fine's adventure game which was the first of the major Kickstarter success) is due out in September. Wasteland 2 is set for October. They will be the first of the major multi million dollar videogame projects to be released.

There are a few smaller projects and projects that used kickstarter to help finish the games rather than start brand new projects that have been released. FTL: Faster than light, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare are notable examples.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Better kickstarter than crowfunding! At least if the deadline isn't met the money goes back to the people who invested in!

Around the Network

How about FTL? Not my kind of game but people seem to love it quite a bit. So there is one.

Cant wait for wasteland 2, Project Eternity and the new torment game

Wright said:
Better kickstarter than crowfunding! At least if the deadline isn't met the money goes back to the people who invested in!

Kickstarter is a crowd funding platform....

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Ouya console
Incident in Baghdad nominated for an oscar
Cards Against Humanity
Lots of graphic novels
The athlete from the T-rex documantary wins olympic gold
The pizza museum
Some chick makes a CD and gets to nr1

Kickstarter is way larger then only videogames..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Vashyo said:

Cant wait for wasteland 2, Project Eternity and the new torment game

Behind all of those + Divinity: Original Sin

I like the idea and obviously back the things Im interested in, I am surprised at the lack of receiving anything so far (Material Items that I "backed" or even the digital items) everything just keeps getting pushed back.

I am extremely hopeful that everything will work out and I will continue to back projects I am interested in.  I just hope I see some activity soon.