By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anything meaningful ever come out of a Kickstarter?

I like the idea of Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms, they allow indies and startups to be a lot more ambitious and they can make ambitious niche games viable.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Chivalry is pretty great.....

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soleron said:
dharh said:
Soleron said:
dharh said:

Even if many of the kickstarts actually fail. Who cares? That's part of how the economy works in the first place. In IT something like over half of all projects fail. I believe that is the same with Kickstarts. So nothing inherently wrong there.

How about the people who have paid for a game before it "fails"? Do you think they deserved to bear 100% of the risk?

Yes. Absolutely. A kickstart can fail in different ways, some of those failures can still be successes for those people who just wanted the niche product. People can go ahead and claim negligence or scam from the originators of the projects, and if there is evidence, then far be it from me to deny people the right to protest and prosecute. But IMO investment in any way is _always_ a risk.

If you are happy with only getting tried and true, focus grouped, market tested, safe products then don't waste your money on kickstarts.

No by fail I mean no product appears.

But you see it's NOT investment, because there's no return if things go well. You're being asked to pay full-indie-game average price for a full indie-quality-game, with the added huge risk of nothing at all showing up.

People will realise that a $15-$20 pledge for a full game is TOO HIGH for an investment. Risk needs to bring that price way down.

I just saw that Double Fine launched a new KS campaign for a strategy game. There was no gameplay or concept design or anything, only a bunch of people acting and trying to be hip and funny in a professionally made video. All is based on their reputation and promises, no evidence.

And what also worries me is that most people in all Double Fine videos seem to be older than 40. Honestly, how many people are hungry, creative and passionate at that age, rather than being comfortable and content with the life they already have? It just makes me doubt projects even more when the majority of the development team is old.

They ask us to invest based only on past merits, a vague vision and a nice looking video.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice/?ref=kicktraq

Slimebeast said:

I just saw that Double Fine launched a new KS campaign for a strategy game. There was no gameplay or concept design or anything, only a bunch of people acting and trying to be hip and funny in a professionally made video. All is based on their reputation and promises, no evidence.

And what also worries me is that most people in all Double Fine videos seem to be older than 40. Honestly, how many people are hungry, creative and passionate at that age, rather than being comfortable and content with the life they already have? It just makes me doubt projects even more when the majority of the development team is old.

They ask us to invest based only on past merits, a vague vision and a nice looking video.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice/?ref=kicktraq

That is pretty fucking ageist dude, not cool. I have met a lot of passionate motivated people over the age of 40, hell 40 isn't really that old. The double fine crew are a diverse bunch anyway.

And the video did contain concept design, plus the page also has these things called words, which explain the concept and basic design princaples. They don't have a working prototype (or at least not one ready to be shown yet) and if you are uncomfortable backing a project that is still in such an early stage of development that is fine but kickstarters don't have to be for half finished projects.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Slimebeast said:

That is pretty fucking ageist dude, not cool. I have met a lot of passionate motivated people over the age of 40, hell 40 isn't really that old. The double fine crew are a diverse bunch anyway.

And the video did contain concept design, plus the page also has these things called words, which explain the concept and basic design princaples. They don't have a working prototype (or at least not one ready to be shown yet) and if you are uncomfortable backing a project that is still in such an early stage of development that is fine but kickstarters don't have to be for half finished projects.

In an industry that is constantly moving up and along with new technology, being on top of new tech and new ways of doing things is very important. Not having fresh blood in your dev teams is a recipe for disaster and staleness.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:

In an industry that is constantly moving up and along with new technology, being on top of new tech and new ways of doing things is very important. Not having fresh blood in your dev teams is a recipe for disaster and staleness.

You need both new blood and experience, otherwise in many cases the new blood could end up being wasted reinventing the wheel.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The only thing funded on there that I "use" (listen to) is The Comedy Button podcast,