By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anything meaningful ever come out of a Kickstarter?

sethnintendo said:
Road Redemption and I believe 90s Arcade Racer

I was just gonna point that one out. I really hope it comes out on the next gen consoles so I can buy it at launch or around that time. If not at least 360/PS3.

Around the Network

LightTable
Ouya
Wastland 2
TUG
TinyDuino

Even _if_ in the future it becomes harder for projects to prove themselves. Who cares? That's part of the evolution that crowd funding might have to go through.

Even if only a small percentage of kickstarts actually get mass market appeal (say 0.01%) enough to sell normal product numbers. Who care? IMO the fact that kickstart allows for obviously niche products to get created and given to the backers makes Kickstarter meaningful and 100% useful all on its own.

Even if many of the kickstarts actually fail. Who cares? That's part of how the economy works in the first place. In IT something like over half of all projects fail. I believe that is the same with Kickstarts. So nothing inherently wrong there.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

Even if many of the kickstarts actually fail. Who cares? That's part of how the economy works in the first place. In IT something like over half of all projects fail. I believe that is the same with Kickstarts. So nothing inherently wrong there.

How about the people who have paid for a game before it "fails"? Do you think they deserved to bear 100% of the risk?

osed125 said:

Today I made my fist pledge ever, this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

That looks amazing! Thank you so much for linking it.  Staggering that something like that can be done for so little.  I hope they get all their stretch goals as game like this deserves it.

Soleron said:
dharh said:

How about the people who have paid for a game before it "fails"? Do you think they deserved to bear 100% of the risk?

Yes. Absolutely. A kickstart can fail in different ways, some of those failures can still be successes for those people who just wanted the niche product. People can go ahead and claim negligence or scam from the originators of the projects, and if there is evidence, then far be it from me to deny people the right to protest and prosecute. But IMO investment in any way is _always_ a risk.

If you are happy with only getting tried and true, focus grouped, market tested, safe products then don't waste your money on kickstarts.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
sethnintendo said:
Road Redemption and I believe 90s Arcade Racer

I was just gonna point that one out. I really hope it comes out on the next gen consoles so I can buy it at launch or around that time. If not at least 360/PS3.

They stated they want to release it for Wii U and I believe they stated Live on 360 (along with PC).

It takes a lot of time to develop games, and when devs exceed their goal they tend to take the extra time to make their games better (as is the case with Broken Age).

I know it's not a game, but I donated to Doug TenNapel's Kickstarter to make a sketchbook archive, and I just got my copy (along with goodies) a few days ago. Basically if you're waiting for the news, it's going to be a while, but if you donate to something and you follow the updates it's easier to be patient.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

dharh said:
Soleron said:
dharh said:

Yes. Absolutely. A kickstart can fail in different ways, some of those failures can still be successes for those people who just wanted the niche product. People can go ahead and claim negligence or scam from the originators of the projects, and if there is evidence, then far be it from me to deny people the right to protest and prosecute. But IMO investment in any way is _always_ a risk.

If you are happy with only getting tried and true, focus grouped, market tested, safe products then don't waste your money on kickstarts.

No by fail I mean no product appears.

But you see it's NOT investment, because there's no return if things go well. You're being asked to pay full-indie-game average price for a full indie-quality-game, with the added huge risk of nothing at all showing up.

People will realise that a $15-$20 pledge for a full game is TOO HIGH for an investment. Risk needs to bring that price way down.

pezus said:
Soleron said:

Actually, the price is usually lower for backers than the final planned price.

I seriously doubt that.

The biggest games aren't some cheap indie games, you know. They are full scale games, and many of them will have dozens of hours of content.

No they won't. Not without another, larger source of funding than KS.

Soleron said:
dharh said:

Of course.