By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Retail sources detail how pre-owned sales will work on Xbox One

I don't have a big problem with this. For one, the publisher will be getting a percentage off used games which means developers will be as well. I'm all for the developers and publishing to get a share of the trade in. Seriously, does Gamestop really need 100% from used games sales? This will actually help game developers out.
Sony will be doing the same thing. Sony already stated they want to be as developer friendly as possible, and what is more developer friendly than this?
The only down sides I see to this is the smaller game retailers will be hit by this. Along with game rental services, unless MS has a plan for that.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

And that will go towards new and better things so in the end some of it does go to the developer. Furthermore if this means more people buying new and a new way for them to actually track used sales then maybe more developers get sales bonuses.

As for how some of us can dare defend this, idk if anyone is actually defending it so much as we see the inevitable. Stuff like this is coming to consoles, you might as well get used to the idea. Personally I think this is a great step up from the PC market, where you buy a game and it's stuck with you forever. If they can make it so you can go in and sell digital games as well, fucking awesome.

I really don't see why they can't. In my view of the scenario, MS/Sony/Whomever can sell potentially two different versions of the same game online. One that is resellable and one that is permament. The permament version is like what we have now, your account forever has a valid license to the game. The resellable version's license is valid for a day or some small amount of time. After that, it checks to see if you still "own" the game in the service and renews the license. You can put the resellable version up on a market place for whatever price and MS/Sony/Whomever takes a cut of the sale price and you get the rest. The next time you try to play the game you sold (after a day), your license is no longer valid and doesn't renew.

It might be a little confusing and maybe they just don't want that in general, but, it seems doable.

This is indefensible. I hope the system is cracked very, very fast.

Euphoria14 said:
osed125 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Still plummeting. Gamestop shares now down 13.08%.

Holy sh*t. That's actually really sad.

13.52% now.

Yeah, isn't it great that people are cheering this on?

They complain when a dev loses his job, but who cares if the people working at the 3,000+ locations feel the sting.

Is this an all time low for the company? I only imagine this going lower and lower.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I don't see why any retailer would agree to this. Push the PS4 and Wii U or even the 360 over the Xbone.
Used games will no longer be a viable business for anyone regarding Xbox One.

I'd love to see some retailer take drastic measures such as not selling the Xbox One itself or even refuse to do stuff like midnight launches.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
I don't have a big problem with this. For one, the publisher will be getting a percentage off used games which means developers will be as well. I'm all for the developers and publishing to get a share of the trade in. Seriously, does Gamestop really need 100% from used games sales? This will actually help game developers out.
Sony will be doing the same thing. Sony already stated they want to be as developer friendly as possible, and what is more developer friendly than this?
The only down sides I see to this is the smaller game retailers will be hit by this. Along with game rental services, unless MS has a plan for that.

Developers won't get this money, publishers will. The EAs, Activsions and Ubisofts of the world gett his money. The developer who actually worked hundreds of hours and late nights on the game already got payed. Why do these publishers deserve more money? They don't. If a game isn't good enough to buy it Day 1 New, there's a reason for that.

We as consumers have rights to buy, sell and trade our games. Microsoft getting in the middle of all of this means they are extremely greedy and just plain evil. 

I'm looking for ward to retailers standign up to Microsoft and picking sides with either Nintendo or Sony.

osed125 said:
Euphoria14 said:
osed125 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Still plummeting. Gamestop shares now down 13.08%.

Holy sh*t. That's actually really sad.

13.52% now.

Yeah, isn't it great that people are cheering this on?

They complain when a dev loses his job, but who cares if the people working at the 3,000+ locations feel the sting.

Is this an all time low for the company? I only imagine this going lower and lower.

I have no idea, but I doubt it is an all time low.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

People who sell used games: would you accept a trade-in value of $5-$10 less than what you expect now?

Soleron said:
People who sell used games: would you accept a trade-in value of $5-$10 less than what you expect now?

I just want the ability to sell privately. Prices vary in that case and are always much higher than when trading into a retail store.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Including the entire week since the XBone announcement Gamestop stocks are down a whopping 21%.

Currently playing: