By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Retail sources detail how pre-owned sales will work on Xbox One

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:
I like it. Makes sense and used game sales benefit the industry, not just the retailer.

Why is this the only industry that wants a piece of the used sales market? Music, Movies, Cars, Books, etc, don't  do this kind of anti consumer policies.

The music and movie industries WISH they could do something like this to curb illegal downloading and filesharing altogether (people illegally download movies and music far more than they do videogames, especially when it comes to newly released stuff), but they are apples to oranges when compared to videogames.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Rafux said:
sales2099 said:
I like it. Makes sense and used game sales benefit the industry, not just the retailer.

Why is this the only industry that wants a piece of the used sales market? Music, Movies, Cars, Books, etc, don't  do this kind of anti consumer policies.

That is irrelevant. What I see is more money in MS/Sony pockets, and 3rd parties do less layoffs. Gamestop will still make profits...just less.

As far as the gamer is concerned, they will go about their trading like they always have. I see no downside, unless we all suddenly care about Gamestop quarterly statements being lower all of a sudden.

Is not irrelevant, the gaming industry has always prevailed with used games sales I'm sure this gen have more software sales than any other gen before.

"I see no downside"

What if there's no gamestop or other affiliated store in my country? What if I want to sell my propierty throught ebay or in person? Whatever, don't bother replying you are a lost case, maybe Halo is really that good that you are willing to accept all of this just so they let you play.

Nsanity said:

Saw this over on NeoGaf

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

So I was right

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=160766&page=1#14

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Ail said:
darkknightkryta said:
jlrx said:

You can't run a business on 10%

However that is why GameStop came out and said 70% of their profits come from new games (possible also hardware).

What do you think their profit margin is on a new game?

I've no idea to be honest, with so many hands in that pot, it can't be too excessive.

In Canada Gamestop gets 4 dollars for every new 60 dollar game...

No they don't...

Yes they do.

Rafux said:
sales2099 said:
Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

That is irrelevant. What I see is more money in MS/Sony pockets, and 3rd parties do less layoffs. Gamestop will still make profits...just less.

As far as the gamer is concerned, they will go about their trading like they always have. I see no downside, unless we all suddenly care about Gamestop quarterly statements being lower all of a sudden.

Is not irrelevant, the gaming industry has always prevailed with used games sales I'm sure this gen have more software sales than any other gen before.

"I see no downside"

What if there's no gamestop or other affiliated store in my country? What if I want to sell my propierty throught ebay or in person? Whatever, don't bother replying you are a lost case, maybe Halo is really that good that you are willing to accept all of this just so they let you play.

I am sure you must have missed the part where this current generation has had the most layoffs and closures then any gen before it....

"What if there's no gamestop or other affiliated store in my country?"

That is a big what if, and now your just fishing.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Guy 1: Hey bro! What have you been up to?
Guy 2: nothing. My X1 just broke..
Guy 1: really!? That sucks. What games do you have on it?
Guy 2: Grand Theft Auto Atlanta, Halo Condense, Final Fantasy 13-6 and Tales Of Runeldia.
Guy 1: OHHH BRO IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR TALES OF RUNELDIA EVERYWHERE!! let me borrow it, bro.
Guy 2: .. Its pointless. Its locked to my account. Its not like the old days when things were easy. Now we have to go through a bunch of wack ass loops just to play a damn game these days. Those 7th gen gamers really took that generation for granted. They had no idea what was coming. I miss the old days.

Lol, FInal Fantas 13-6 that cracked me up. Anyway I pray sony doesn't do this. I don't get why people are accepting of this and I still want info on rental services. 

im sorry this is simply indefenceable

quit sticking up for a console when you know it will have a negative affect on people who are thinking of buying nex-gen consoles

i know what, this trade in rubbish should be optional, anyone supporting this id love to see you sign up and start paying through your noses for pre-owned games and all similar baggage thats gonna come with this policy.

looks like them days of browsing through the 2 for £20 range for titles i missed out on earlier years, will be over................

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

smroadkill15 said:
I don't have a big problem with this. For one, the publisher will be getting a percentage off used games which means developers will be as well. I'm all for the developers and publishing to get a share of the trade in. Seriously, does Gamestop really need 100% from used games sales? This will actually help game developers out.
Sony will be doing the same thing. Sony already stated they want to be as developer friendly as possible, and what is more developer friendly than this?
The only down sides I see to this is the smaller game retailers will be hit by this. Along with game rental services, unless MS has a plan for that.

except they don't have any right to do that, they already got the money on the new game sales.

The developers getting a share of the profit with the used games market sounds good but that still kinds of bludgeons, game borrowing between friends. Unless you do not mind not getting any Achievements and plays on the original owners account. (at least that's how I understand it)

NightDragon83 said:
Rafux said:
sales2099 said:

The music and movie industries WISH they could do something like this to curb illegal downloading and filesharing altogether (people illegally download movies and music far more than they do videogames, especially when it comes to newly released stuff), but they are apples to oranges when compared to videogames.

we're talking about used products, not pirated ones. If I buy a movie/music/book/game/tv/car, that product is mine and whoever published/developed got their profits from my purchase. Since it is mine already, the companies have no right to take a percentage if I decide to sell or trade it. and what's worse, they are FORBIDING consumers from doing that by making trades only possible on licensed retailers.