By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Retail sources detail how pre-owned sales will work on Xbox One

I feel bad for the poor, the college kids, and kids in general, because used game prices will now rise, my condolences.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
I feel bad for the poor, the college kids, and kids in general, because used game prices will now rise, my condolences.

The price of used games won't necessarily rise, but the amount you receive for trading in your game will fall.

Nsanity said:

Saw this over on NeoGaf

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

What will happen outside of US, UK, Japan, and maybe a few European countries? We don't trade or resell the used games through stores, we do it here with friends or in small communities, we are screwed as usual?

flagstaad said:
Nsanity said:

Saw this over on NeoGaf

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

What will happen outside of US, UK, Japan, and maybe a few European countries? We don't trade or resell the used games through stores, we do it here with friends or in small communities, we are screwed as usual?

They really need to grant individual users the right to transfer their licenses to other users.

DarthVolod said:

The fact that some people are welcoming these anti-consumer used game schemes is disturbing. I can't see any upside of this new pre-owned games model for customers.

Well, for one thing I hear that games are going to become cheap. Like, really, really cheap. It is kind of strange that they're not getting any cheaper now that they have to compete with used games, almost as if game makers have no intention of ever lowering their prices to attract more customers. But I'm confident that once the used games market is brought under control, they'll... uh. I forgot where I was going with this.

Around the Network
Jabbamk1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Jabbamk1 said:
How can anyone defend this anti consumer policy?

Please understand...

Understand what?

It's a Satoru Iwata joke.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

DarthVolod said:
Euphoria14 said:
How are people here happy that we are now handcuffed to retail chains or the console manufacturer for the products we purchased?

Do gamers really care more about the developers than they do about their fellow gamer?

This industry is so backasswards all around that it isn't even funny...

I really don't know where the idea that "developers are holy creatures devoid of blame who are being exploited by evil used game stores like GameStop, ebay, and your local mom&pop shops." Developers, like anyone else in this industry, are out to make money just like everyone else. It is great that they provide us with a product we love, but we already support them with game sales as it is.

The fact that some people are welcoming these anti-consumer used game schemes is disturbing. I can't see any upside of this new pre-owned games model for customers.

This is one of those industries where the fans (Of course not all of them) seems to care about the companies and not of themselves.

It has always boggled my mind.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Also, for those saying "It's nice because the devs will get more money". No, they won't. The publishers will.

Currently playing:

So essentially they tell us what our games are worth?  No thanks, I've always sold games on eBay where the open market decides the price, not some store.  GameStop has always been a rip off and will continue to be.  I can see it now, they will give u less for your used games while charging more for others who buy it.  Microsoft is forcing a middle man into the equation.  Gamers who sell their games to other gamers are going to get screwed.  We're not the problem either, when I sell a game I immediately spend the money on a new one.  I'm not damaging the industry by doing that.

Euphoria14 said:
Also, for those saying "It's nice because the devs will get more money". No, they won't. The publishers will.

The majority of the dev are publisher owned these days as for the few that aren't, the money is a function of the revenue the game makes so dev will indeed get more money..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !