By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Retail sources detail how pre-owned sales will work on Xbox One

You can't run a business on 10%

However that is why GameStop came out and said 70% of their profits come from new games (possible also hardware).

What do you think their profit margin is on a new game?

I've no idea to be honest, with so many hands in that pot, it can't be too excessive.

Around the Network

Gamestop now currently down 9.1%

jlrx said:

You can't run a business on 10%

However that is why GameStop came out and said 70% of their profits come from new games (possible also hardware).

What do you think their profit margin is on a new game?

I've no idea to be honest, with so many hands in that pot, it can't be too excessive.

Retail profit margin on new games is between 40% and 50% . It's going to depend on the size of the business and the size of their orders

It's not that hard to compute.

Do you think those retailers offering 20$ off for pre-order are selling at a loss ? Nope... They still make a profit which means that 60$ game they sold you for 40$ cost them less than 40$, seeing how in most retail business it is 50% I will assume it is the same for games...

Hardware is the exception ( and only consoles), they get their 50% on accessories..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Carl2291 said:
Gamestop now currently down 9.1%

Currently down 9.28% O_o

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

How can anyone defend this anti consumer policy?

Around the Network
fedfed said:
well cutting off ebay or other online is genius... if it works. they deserve to win this generation (said from a Nintendo fan boy - means a lot)

i thought you are a nintendo bear :P not boy

Jabbamk1 said:

Please understand...

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

We should have a Gamestop stocks thread. It has now hit 10%.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Jabbamk1 said:

Please understand...

Understand what?

Euphoria14 said:
How are people here happy that we are now handcuffed to retail chains or the console manufacturer for the products we purchased?

Do gamers really care more about the developers than they do about their fellow gamer?

This industry is so backasswards all around that it isn't even funny...

I really don't know where the idea that "developers are holy creatures devoid of blame who are being exploited by evil used game stores like GameStop, ebay, and your local mom&pop shops." Developers, like anyone else in this industry, are out to make money just like everyone else. It is great that they provide us with a product we love, but we already support them with game sales as it is.

The fact that some people are welcoming these anti-consumer used game schemes is disturbing. I can't see any upside of this new pre-owned games model for customers.