By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Wish Microsoft Never Entered The Gaming Business (From a Nintendo POV)

walsufnir said:

LOL If I downplayed every MS lineup I wouldn't have had my 360 until Gears launched and then threw it away. The gaming media had been riding MS for their weak support of the 360 for no reason. Liking the 360 is no excuse to ignore their shortcomings.

And you do it again, parotting like hundreds of posts before. If the line-up is that bad, why does the console still keeps selling? You know that console-sales have more reasons than exclusives? But I see you are not able to appreciate MS' success. Not that I'd be surprised you can't, I think it is just sad to be so narrow-minded.

Why does pop music sell? Marketing. The only time Microsoft has been able to legit beat Sony was what fourth quarter every year for the past three years? Microsoft started off the gen well and focused on games. They took their eye off of the games more than a couple years ago. Last of Us, GT5, Tales of Xillia, Sly Cooper, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension vs Gears of War? What are you defending?

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:

LOL If I downplayed every MS lineup I wouldn't have had my 360 until Gears launched and then threw it away. The gaming media had been riding MS for their weak support of the 360 for no reason. Liking the 360 is no excuse to ignore their shortcomings.

And you do it again, parotting like hundreds of posts before. If the line-up is that bad, why does the console still keeps selling? You know that console-sales have more reasons than exclusives? But I see you are not able to appreciate MS' success. Not that I'd be surprised you can't, I think it is just sad to be so narrow-minded.

Why does pop music sell? Marketing. The only time Microsoft has been able to legit beat Sony was what fourth quarter every year for the past three years? Microsoft started off the gen well and focused on games. They took their eye off of the games more than a couple years ago. Last of Us, GT5, Tales of Xillia, Sly Cooper, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension vs Gears of War? What are you defending?

You are not able to read and understand, are you? I never defended MS' lack of *many* good games or that Sony has more good games this year but it wasn't my point. You only keep repeating the same thing you always do in your posts and you are obviously not able to appreciate a success for MS. For you it's only marketing, yes. We got it now, everyone can make an opinion of your opinion and everything's fine now. *sigh*

I don't understand that support 360 reasoning when 360 has the best online support a gaming console ever had, the best selling peripheral, peripheral that made the most impact in gaming in ages and the best platform for multi-plat games. Microsoft does not compete with publishers that give its console edge over the competition. They're smarter than that.
360 is the foundation of the next generation that I can clearly see that is going to be pretty busy for MS. For the last 2-3 they've been investing in first party studios and technologies that the competition cannot think of with their narrow view of gaming as an entertainment.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

No, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when Sony entered the gaming business.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Call me crazy but this is how I see things.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

I dont see sony doing it sony may have the hype right now, but on the 21st microsoft will have hype as well to match if not exceed the hype of the PS4.

Alot of people think sony will have the edge this time because they are coming out the same time as Xbox, but I don't think so, there are millions of gamers that have already made up there mine which console they are going to get.

There are millions of gamers in the US and UK that have decided they are getting the Xbox 720 first and then maybe later the PS4.

This wasn't the case after the first Xbox, sure there were millions that was going to get the Xbox 360 first but there are even more millions that have already decided they are going to get Xbox 720 first.

So I think it is going to be a tight race between sony and microsoft, until 2015 were I think valve and the steambox is going to gain popularity.

And here are my reasons, Valve has a good online service (the main reason xbox is the prefered console for many gamers is because of xbox live) and steam box is going to have the power, and what some of you may not know is that steam has 50 million subscribers. Last time I check the xbox and ps have sold 77 million consoles, so valve isn't that far behind in terms of potential consoles sold.

It could be someone else or I could be wrong, but the strongest threat to Microsoft of Sony leading the market is valve.

Call of duty will be on the steambox, currently the biggest selling online game this generation. I don't think call of duty would have been that popular without online.

So yea dont be so quick to think sony is going to make a comeback its possible but in my eyes it aint gonna happen.

Steambox has no shot at anything.

Microsoft better support the 360 or its going to end the gen in third place. Plain and simple.

Ohhhhh you are talking about this generation, honestly too much of us  are stuck in the past me included but I am trying to have an open mind.

The videogame market is a totally different beast than it was back in 2005.

We are now in 2013 and the market is completely different as a gamer that love Sega and Microsoft I can honestly tell you.

Two gaming devices have me more excited than Xbox 720 and PS4.

and that is the Steambox and the upcoming Xbox tablet.

Microsoft knows things are changing and they are rolling out an Xbox gaming tablet. The tablet gaming market is set to take off.

Steambox for my tv and 7 inch Xbox tablet for mobile gaming. See Microsoft will still make tons of money.

I saw some good first person gaming on a phone because of the way the developers did the controls and I was impressed. Tablet gaming is going to get ever better without physical buttons as developers come up with new ways to control the game and even more popular.

I think touch screen gaming for first person shooters can be even more accurate than the analog stick and possibly even the mouse.

7 inch portable gaming here I come.

two reason why I would choose an xbox tablet over android or apple.

People said apple could never be beaten android now leads the market.

anything for computers I will choose Microsoft and then you have xbox live on a portable.

as for steambox I am getting tired of the xbox brand for consoles I am looking for something new.

but Microsoft is getting my money for the Xbox tablet.

Around the Network
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

I dont see sony doing it sony may have the hype right now, but on the 21st microsoft will have hype as well to match if not exceed the hype of the PS4.

Alot of people think sony will have the edge this time because they are coming out the same time as Xbox, but I don't think so, there are millions of gamers that have already made up there mine which console they are going to get.

There are millions of gamers in the US and UK that have decided they are getting the Xbox 720 first and then maybe later the PS4.

This wasn't the case after the first Xbox, sure there were millions that was going to get the Xbox 360 first but there are even more millions that have already decided they are going to get Xbox 720 first.

So I think it is going to be a tight race between sony and microsoft, until 2015 were I think valve and the steambox is going to gain popularity.

And here are my reasons, Valve has a good online service (the main reason xbox is the prefered console for many gamers is because of xbox live) and steam box is going to have the power, and what some of you may not know is that steam has 50 million subscribers. Last time I check the xbox and ps have sold 77 million consoles, so valve isn't that far behind in terms of potential consoles sold.

It could be someone else or I could be wrong, but the strongest threat to Microsoft of Sony leading the market is valve.

Call of duty will be on the steambox, currently the biggest selling online game this generation. I don't think call of duty would have been that popular without online.

So yea dont be so quick to think sony is going to make a comeback its possible but in my eyes it aint gonna happen.

Microsoft better support the 360 or its going to end the gen in third place. Plain and simple.

Ohhhhh you are talking about this generation, honestly too much of us  are stuck in the past me included but I am trying to have an open mind.

We are now in 2013 and the market is completely different as a gamer that love Sega and Microsoft I can honestly tell you.

Microsoft knows things are changing and they are rolling out an Xbox gaming tablet. The tablet gaming market is set to take off.

Steambox for my tv and 7 inch Xbox tablet for mobile gaming. See Microsoft will still make tons of money.

I saw some good first person gaming on a phone because of the way the developers did the controls and I was impressed. Tablet gaming is going to get ever better without physical buttons as developers come up with new ways to control the game and even more popular.

I think touch screen gaming for first person shooters can be even more accurate than the analog stick and possibly even the mouse.

The tablet is just an answer to the IPad. Microsoft likes to dominate whatever market they get into so they are copying what the competition does and integrate them. Not a bad idea, but I already have windows 8. It's basically an Ipod or Windows Mobile phone on your laptop. Apples will continue to grow, but eh.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

The tablet is just an answer to the IPad. Microsoft likes to dominate whatever market they get into so they are copying what the competition does and integrate them. Not a bad idea, but I already have windows 8. It's basically an Ipod or Windows Mobile phone on your laptop. Apples will continue to grow, but eh.

Speculation is there are going to release a 7inch surface tablet and also a 7inch tablet specifically made for gaming the called Xbox Surface.

That's the beauty of it, we get the best from them when they fight for their position in the world.

PigPen said:
That's the beauty of it, we get the best from them when they fight for their position in the world.

I don't think we're getting the best from Nintendo or Sega. 

The industry is too competetive, when Sony and MS entered, something had to give, so it led to Sega being driven out of the market and becoming a shadow of its former self. Meanwhile Nintendo was basically forced to pursue a low-tech, rope-a-dope strategy aimed at non-gamers to try and compete against larger multi-faceted corporations that can rely on other branches for financials when/if gaming goes sour. 

Jega said:

Speculation is there are going to release a 7inch surface tablet and also a 7inch tablet specifically made for gaming the called Xbox Surface.

My Windows Media is also called Xbox. I don't expect very much outside of a tablet with the same OS. They are probably following apples new Ipad Mini. Check this out:

http://www.emirates247.com/business/technology/microsoft-mini-tablet-to-take-on-apple-google-2013-04-12-1.502320

As I said, Microsoft doesn't really innovate, they look at what the competition does and tries to beat them with it. Their only real contribution was Xbox Live which set a trend. The Xbox is just a replacement name for Zune on PC's and tablets since they dropped that brand. If you dominate MS in sales they leave, which is exactly what they did with the IPod market. They don't have to run out of money to break.