By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Wish Microsoft Never Entered The Gaming Business (From a Nintendo POV)

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

No, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when Sony entered the gaming business.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Call me crazy but this is how I see things.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

360 sells more software therefore has bigger gaming community than PS3.

If revenue is what your talking about at this stage 360 contributes with hardware sales, software sales(highest of the big 3) and online subscriptions (again highest of the big 3). And also Kinect being a sucessful hardware 20+ million.

Sony has been outselling the 360 almost every year since it came out. It closed out a 10 million console deficit between itself and the 360. You're right, the Kinect sold, but the Kinect held off the advances of Sony, thats all it did. Lets see what they do to stop Sony from tearing at their gap for the holiday season because Sony will pull ahead. Microsoft can't stop 3/4 of the year, but they can fight for the holiday season. 

Around the Network

2 more reasons

1. gamers are hungry for something new.

2. Steambox sounds more hardcore than Xbox for gamers.

Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:
You liked the Gamecube right, so then why does it matter how much it sells? As long as it does decently enough for Nintendo to make a new system, then lifes good. Also, I see nothing wrong with Nintendo expanding the market with new types of games/ways to play them while still providing the same gameplay experiences we know n love. Besides, for all we know the Wii would have happened regardless of the Xbox.

This isn't really the case though. The Wii really wasn't the successor to the GameCube/N64/SNES at all, it was Nintendo moving in a direction of aiming themselves to non-gamers because they couldn't sustain their console business on only 23 million users that the GameCube sold unfortuantely.

In a lot of ways, the Nintendo of the 80s/90s died when MS entered the game business. I think Nintendo also holds the feeling that they cannot compete with MS' huge money warchest and have to be different now, whereas they never used to operate that way before.

And again, no knock on MS, they have done a great job in the game business, I do like that they have taken Sony down a couple of pegs for sure (because it was needed). I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the traditional Nintendo, which is what I think indirectly has actually occured.

The person to blame here is Ken Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, he wanted to make a gaming console.

Sony stole final fantasy away from nintendo and that is when nintendo lost there edge, nintendo always had the rpgs.

N64 was awesome to me but that was the generation Nintendo fell. Super Nintendo was the last time nintendo was the leader of the videogame market.

Nintendo was the leader from 1985 - 1995, Sega was successful as well but nintendo was the clear leader. I like genesis better, go sega.

Sony in my eyes also had 10 years, from 1995 - 2005, 2005 was the year Xbox 360 was released.

And I believe Microsoft will have 10 years as well the gaming, even Microsoft can't defeat the gaming gods.

Microsoft in my eyes, will lead from 2005 - 2015 no longer than that. Someone else is coming.

Too bad for Microsoft Sony is most likely going to put them in third place in  a week. They better give the 360 some games before Sony shuts it out. They will actually be in third place for the first time.

I dont see sony doing it sony may have the hype right now, but on the 21st microsoft will have hype as well to match if not exceed the hype of the PS4.

Alot of people think sony will have the edge this time because they are coming out the same time as Xbox, but I don't think so, there are millions of gamers that have already made up there mine which console they are going to get.

There are millions of gamers in the US and UK that have decided they are getting the Xbox 720 first and then maybe later the PS4.

This wasn't the case after the first Xbox, sure there were millions that was going to get the Xbox 360 first but there are even more millions that have already decided they are going to get Xbox 720 first.

So I think it is going to be a tight race between sony and microsoft, until 2015 were I think valve and the steambox is going to gain popularity.

And here are my reasons, Valve has a good online service (the main reason xbox is the prefered console for many gamers is because of xbox live) and steam box is going to have the power, and what some of you may not know is that steam has 50 million subscribers. Last time I check the xbox and ps have sold 77 million consoles, so valve isn't that far behind in terms of potential consoles sold.

It could be someone else or I could be wrong, but the strongest threat to Microsoft of Sony leading the market is valve.

Call of duty will be on the steambox, currently the biggest selling online game this generation. I don't think call of duty would have been that popular without online.

So yea dont be so quick to think sony is going to make a comeback its possible but in my eyes it aint gonna happen.

Steambox has no shot at anything.

Microsoft better support the 360 or its going to end the gen in third place. Plain and simple.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

If revenue is what your talking about at this stage 360 contributes with hardware sales, software sales(highest of the big 3) and online subscriptions (again highest of the big 3). And also Kinect being a sucessful hardware 20+ million.

Sony has been outselling the 360 almost every year since it came out. It closed out a 10 million console deficit between itself and the 360. You're right, the Kinect sold, but the Kinect held off the advances of Sony, thats all it did. Lets see what they do to stop Sony from tearing at their gap for the holiday season because Sony will pull ahead. Microsoft can't stop 3/4 of the year, but they can fight for the holiday season. 

You forget though that MS has North America on vice grip. The most lucrative game market. For example, MS makes on average with 1 copy of Halo more than $100. Through dlc packs and boost in XBL subscription coupled with $60. Who does that? 

Their media service is going to come out with a bang I strongly believe. Not only games are going to make them money other types of media will play a role also.  I watch ESPN 3 every weekend on HD. I can't miss my European soccer games on the weekend (even if I miss I can watch the replays) so 360 is a perfect machine for me. So when I look foward I only see improvements over these features.

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

You forget though that MS has North America on vice grip. The most lucrative game market. For example, MS makes on average with 1 copy of Halo more than $100. Through dlc packs and boost in XBL subscription coupled with $60. Who does that? 

Their media service is going to come out with a bang I strongly believe. Not only games are going to make them money other types of media will play a role also.  I watch ESPN 3 every weekend on HD. I can't miss my European soccer games on the weekend (even if I miss I can watch the replays) so 360 is a perfect machine for me. So when I look foward I only see improvements over these features.

MS has America in a vice grip because of marketing not because of substance. Kinect only had a hanful of games to back it up from 2010 to 2012. America is not loyal to anyone including Microsoft, so theres nothing to fear of a little bit of competition. Media services wont sway Sony steam rolling them. They need to support the Kinect and the 360 or they are finished. SImple.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

I dont see sony doing it sony may have the hype right now, but on the 21st microsoft will have hype as well to match if not exceed the hype of the PS4.

Alot of people think sony will have the edge this time because they are coming out the same time as Xbox, but I don't think so, there are millions of gamers that have already made up there mine which console they are going to get.

There are millions of gamers in the US and UK that have decided they are getting the Xbox 720 first and then maybe later the PS4.

This wasn't the case after the first Xbox, sure there were millions that was going to get the Xbox 360 first but there are even more millions that have already decided they are going to get Xbox 720 first.

So I think it is going to be a tight race between sony and microsoft, until 2015 were I think valve and the steambox is going to gain popularity.

And here are my reasons, Valve has a good online service (the main reason xbox is the prefered console for many gamers is because of xbox live) and steam box is going to have the power, and what some of you may not know is that steam has 50 million subscribers. Last time I check the xbox and ps have sold 77 million consoles, so valve isn't that far behind in terms of potential consoles sold.

It could be someone else or I could be wrong, but the strongest threat to Microsoft of Sony leading the market is valve.

Call of duty will be on the steambox, currently the biggest selling online game this generation. I don't think call of duty would have been that popular without online.

So yea dont be so quick to think sony is going to make a comeback its possible but in my eyes it aint gonna happen.

Microsoft better support the 360 or its going to end the gen in third place. Plain and simple.

By far the strongest 3rd place in video-game-history with significant market-share, yes.

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

By far the strongest 3rd place in video-game-history with significant market-share, yes.

I said the same thing about Sony's first party when they were in third place. Microsoft's "strong" lineup only held off Sony for a quarter and caused Sony to eat away at them in smaller increments.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

I said the same thing about Sony's first party when they were in third place. Microsoft's "strong" lineup only held off Sony for a quarter and caused Sony to eat away at them in smaller increments.

And? We all know you downplay MS' line-up in every thread where it is possible (or even not) but it's not about your opinion which we all know, it's about numbers and that a former domination is no more. If you appreciate this nobody cares about but it should be appreciated.

walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

And? We all know you downplay MS' line-up in every thread where it is possible (or even not) but it's not about your opinion which we all know, it's about numbers and that a former domination is no more. If you appreciate this nobody cares about but it should be appreciated.

LOL If I downplayed every MS lineup I wouldn't have had my 360 until Gears launched and then threw it away. The gaming media had been riding MS for their weak support of the 360 for no reason. Liking the 360 is no excuse to ignore their shortcomings. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
walsufnir said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jega said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
@Soundwave:

LOL If I downplayed every MS lineup I wouldn't have had my 360 until Gears launched and then threw it away. The gaming media had been riding MS for their weak support of the 360 for no reason. Liking the 360 is no excuse to ignore their shortcomings.

And you do it again, parotting like hundreds of posts before. If the line-up is that bad, why does the console still keeps selling? You know that console-sales have more reasons than exclusives? But I see you are not able to appreciate MS' success. Not that I'd be surprised you can't, I think it is just sad to be so narrow-minded.