By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online Petition for Sega to stop Exclusive Partnership with Nintendo over Sonic (yes)

Do you think is unfair nintendo sings an exclusivity deal?

Yes, nintendo doesn't de... 97 14.63%

lol no 481 72.55%

... and you are? 85 12.82%

Total:663

oh and how the heck is Sonic Mega Collection not the same product? they just added few features no different than any game that is a late port, by that logic you might as well count GE for PS360 as a different game than the Wii one or HOTD overkill or No More Heroes etc.

And as for Sonic 4 here you go: "Speaking with VG247, Sega West CEO Mike Hayes stated that Episode I cleared over one million downloads across all the platforms,[40] with the PlayStation 3 version selling the most copies.[41]
Direct from Wikipedia via Sonic Stadium website

You compared a DS game to a PS2 game but i cant compare two different versions of the same game? Fair enough, thats still accounts for three games though. Sonic Heroes, Collection (your moving goal post with this one) and Sonic 4

Around the Network
oniyide said:
oh and how the heck is Sonic Mega Collection not the same product? they just added few features no different than any game that is a late port, by that logic you might as well count GE for PS360 as a different game than the Wii one or HOTD overkill or No More Heroes etc.

And as for Sonic 4 here you go: "Speaking with VG247, Sega West CEO Mike Hayes stated that Episode I cleared over one million downloads across all the platforms,[40] with the PlayStation 3 version selling the most copies.[41]
Direct from Wikipedia via Sonic Stadium website

You compared a DS game to a PS2 game but i cant compare two different versions of the same game? Fair enough, thats still accounts for three games though. Sonic Heroes, Collection (your moving goal post with this one) and Sonic 4

Adding features to a late port makes it a distinct game, so better sales needn't be due to better market. Of course, if you add features to a late port, and don't remove any, and it makes a "better game", yet the game sells worse, it may be indicative of market issues (it depends on the extent of feature additions, etc).

For Sonic 4, as I said, we don't know the *extent* of the difference. It could be 300,000 copies on PS3, 290,000 on 360, and 280,000 on Wii, for all we know. Or it could be 900,000 on PS3, 80,000 on 360, and 10,000 on Wii. Without specific figures, we can't know.

And I didn't compare the DS game to the PS2 game. It was purely an aside, intended to emphasise that Nintendo platforms are a better home for Sonic games.

And best doesn't have to mean most. It can mean best relative to <something>, where the something could be install base, years on market, price, or one of many other factors. Which sold better - a game that sold 30 million copies at $50, or a game that sold 300 million copies at $1? It depends on how you define "better", of course.

Since when did people care about Sinic games? Wasnt the gamer consensus that Sonic games tanked in quality?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

oniyide said:
Aielyn said:
oniyide said:
Aielyn said:
KylieDog said:
Sonic fanbase != Sony/MS fanbase.

The Sonic fanbase wouldn't try to petition Sega to have the games elsewhere, they'd buy a Wii U for the games. Especially given that there's a good chance that this exclusive partnership will end up continuing, given that Sonic has consistently sold best on Nintendo platforms since the fall of the Dreamcast.

Um no, PS2 says hi, it sold best on the consoles that did the best imagine that

Relative to install base, it sold exceptionally well on the Gamecube. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle sold to something like one in every 8 Gamecube owners. And Sonic Rush sold more on DS than Sonic Heroes sold on PS2.

Sonic Heroes is the only game that I can see where the PS2 version outsold the GC version, and that is almost entirely due to Europe, with Americans buying the GC version more. Meanwhile, Sonic Riders sold better on GC.

And Sonic Unleashed sold more on Wii than on PS3 and 360 combined, despite the Wii never surpassing 50% of total install base for the generation. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed has sold as well on Wii U as PS3, and almost as well as on 360, despite almost everybody describing the Wii U as "struggling" or worse, and the system having an install base less than one twentieth of the size of the 360 or PS3 install bases.

In other words, with the exception of just one game, which was on a system that sold quite poorly, Sonic has sold best on Nintendo platforms since the decline of the Dreamcast (actually, since before the decline of the Dreamcast, given that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle easily outsold Sonic Adventure 2 on DC). So I stand by my statement.

THats not what you said, you said they do BEST on Ninty systems which is factual wrong as you can compare multiplat versions of the same game and see where that is simply not true. Install base? no crap, it will do best on the system that has the MOST consoles in the wild, funny how that works out like that most of the time. Never said it didnt sell well on Ninty consoles, just not the best always. Your statement is still wrong, because you forgot Sonic Mega Collection which blew past GC version despite releasing almost two years later. Ill add Sonic 4 ep1 to that list, WIi version was the worst selling one, with the Ios version being the best and if we really wanna get funky Sonic Generations 3ds version didnt do as well as the consoles. So yeah your statement is wrong.

it actually does sell the best on Nintendo consoles by total sales and average per game.

GC-8.81 million from 6 games/1.47 per game

PS2-7.31, 5 games/1.46 per game

DS-16.84, 8 games/2.1 per game(8.48, 6 games/1.41 per game excluding Mario & Sonic)

PSP-2.67, 2 games/1.33 per game

Wii-24.66, 9 games/2.74 per game(8.95, 6 games/1.49 excluding Mario & Sonic)

PS3-6.14, 6 games/1.02 per game 

360-5.71, 7 games/.82 per game

3DS-1.81, 3 games/.6 per game(.86, 2 games/.43 per game excluding Mario & Sonic)

Vita-.09, 1 game

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KylieDog said:

When PS3/360 have been getting better Sonic games, or better versions, they Sonic fanbase will be on those consoles.  Of course they don't want to buy a WiiU when Sonic been multiplat for so long.

To my knowledge, there has been two Sonic games on PS3/360 that didn't sell better on Wii, and that's Sonic Generations and Sonic 06 - and the only reason they didn't sell better on Wii was because they weren't on the Wii. On the other hand, the game that most people call the "redeeming" Sonic title was on Wii only - Sonic Colors.

And I'm sorry, but Sonic, multiplatform? Really? The Wii got three exclusive Sonic titles, not counting the Mario & Sonic titles. Sonic fans *had* to own a Wii to enjoy Sonic last gen.

And like I said, Sonic fans would definitely go and buy a Wii U for Sonic, rather than petitioning for this partnership for all of three titles, one of which is Mario & Sonic, to be undone. They wouldn't be petitioning if they didn't already know that Sega had good market reasons for the deal - they'd trust in the market to show Sega that they need to put it on the other platforms.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Every new Sonic game is the 'redeeming' game to the Sonic fanbase, and every time it ends up crap. Is why they want this new one multiplat, they think it will be good.

I think you misunderstood. I'm saying, much of the Sonic fanbase, if asked to describe what Sonic games should be like, point to Sonic Colors. It's not that it was seen as redeeming in the leadup to release, but that it's seen as the redeeming title *now*.

EDIT: I have seen multiple people describe Sonic Colors as "the point at which Sonic stopped sucking again".

less than 200 signatures? Clearly people care.

Now look at Rayman to keep original date effort.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-entertainment-s-a-keep-to-the-original-rayman-legends-release-date-for-the-wii-u

I'm the 400 LOLOL's !!

Nem said:
hunter_alien said:
Nem said:

Really?! I have a 360 and i dont buy those games. I havent bought a single FIFA game since the franchise first came out. Its always been crap. PES has been better for the most parrt aswell.

And FPS'?! LOL That gameplay is so 2 decades ago. I dont get how you can enjoy playing the same game over and over again for 20 years. That is amazing indeed. Maybe you should try playing something different. You might be surprised.

I am, believe me... never the less you are implying that your taste is superior to mine? How old are you, like 12? You are just like me on the old Gamespot forum, circa 2004. My god Im glad that puberty is over for me.

You personally admit it that you dont even try out those games, yet you have an opinion about them... how much lower can you sink?

Read closer. Just cause i dont buy doesnt mean i havent played. I am not without a circle of friends, hopefully that is not a strage concept for you.

Seriously... you're here trying to sell that FIFA and Battlefield are wonderful games. Well, good for you. You enjoy them! Let us know when you get tired of the same rehashed experience.

You mane like the 2D or 3D Mario games? Maybe Nintendogs? Or is it a new Zelda with a dozen new gimmicks slapped on it? You see, we can both play this game

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Nem said:
hunter_alien said:
Nem said:

Really?! I have a 360 and i dont buy those games. I havent bought a single FIFA game since the franchise first came out. Its always been crap. PES has been better for the most parrt aswell.

And FPS'?! LOL That gameplay is so 2 decades ago. I dont get how you can enjoy playing the same game over and over again for 20 years. That is amazing indeed. Maybe you should try playing something different. You might be surprised.

I am, believe me... never the less you are implying that your taste is superior to mine? How old are you, like 12? You are just like me on the old Gamespot forum, circa 2004. My god Im glad that puberty is over for me.

You personally admit it that you dont even try out those games, yet you have an opinion about them... how much lower can you sink?

Read closer. Just cause i dont buy doesnt mean i havent played. I am not without a circle of friends, hopefully that is not a strage concept for you.

Seriously... you're here trying to sell that FIFA and Battlefield are wonderful games. Well, good for you. You enjoy them! Let us know when you get tired of the same rehashed experience.

You mane like the 2D or 3D Mario games? Maybe Nintendogs? Or is it a new Zelda with a dozen new gimmicks slapped on it? You see, we can both play this game

I agree with u on 2D Mario lately and Nintendogs but 3D Mario Iis a bad example of rehashed experience compare Mario 64 to Sunshine to Galaxy, vastly different gameplay. Also with Zelda i wouldnt compare the things it does as gimmicks, moreso trying to stay fresh and different from its predeccessors. One more thing about 3D Mario/Zelda is they come out every 3-5 years as opposed to annually. I do believe they use Mario as a character too often in games hes not needed tho.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.