By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, less powerful than 360. No money for 3rd parties.

Arcturus said:
think-man said:
Will I get banned if I say I kinda agree with him?

Yes.

Why that guy is a moderator when he is so horrifically biased is beyond me. A software engineer has made a claim and suddenly people with no experience with developing for the Wii U suddenly know better than him. The latter should be banned, not those who agree with someone who has experience in the field. 

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
pezus said:
JazzB1987 said:
Lets start an online petition to get this guy fired. I mean people at microsoft get fired for saying "whats the problem with being always online? my phone is"

So this should be reason enough to fire the guy twice!

You know damn well that he didn't get fired for that.

Do I? are you from the future from a time where I know that? Or are you some kind of old woman with a glass ball?

I do not know that he did not get fired for saying this.   How about telling the real reason instead of telling me what I know and what I don't know? 

And tbh   being a EA employee  makes you represent the company  no matter if this is your actual job in the company or not and no matter if you do this in your free time/with private twitter account or not.
The guy damaged EA's image and it doesn't matter if EA actually cares about it or if 100% of EA shares the guys opinion or not. People inside a company have to know their place and saying something like this is completely dumb and out of place. And whats more important than that is the guy somewhat attacked Nintendo every developer working on WiiU games and every WiiU owner.

The guy made himself and his company look arrogant.  Not even APPLE would say something like SAMSUNG phones are crap even tho both are enemies in the patent war. It's just something people with brain don't do because they know they represent more than their own opinion. And doing it on a public site like twitter is even less smart.

So the guy should be fired. Nintendo employees saying company XY made SHIT also should get fired etc.

If he would have said that in his opinion the WiiU hardware is not powerful enough to merit the hassle of developing games that would be okay but the way he replied was just fail...

If a Samsung rep said the new Apple Maps is crap and the iPhone is yesterday's news on Twitter ... I don't think he would get fired for that. Why should he?

If a third party app developer said that Windows Phone is garbage and they don't want to support, I think that's fine also.

Mr Khan said:
fillet said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
fillet said:
You guys looking at this all wrong.

Take your obsessed gaming hat off and actually look at when he said. All legitimate stuff in my opinion. It's twitter, he can say what he likes and he'd know more than any of you lot.

Honestly, the Nintendo defense force are starting to rival SDF.

He clearly knows his he will have had first hand experience with the Wii0U. How about talking about what he said from a technical angle?

What technical details are listed in this tweet?

That's the warped way of looking at this stuff that I'm complaining about here.

He's been a software engineer for EA for over 10 years. Anything he says is "technical". If he's putting himself and credibility on the line to say this stuff then it's clearly from a technical perspective.

What other perspective is there? Are you suggesting that he just doesn't like Nintendo!!!? LOL. What kind of childish fanatasy land mentality is that? It's one a lot of users here seem to live in.

If someone has held a job coding for 10 years plus with 1 company and stayed there..that says to me that person knows their shit.

This isn't some indy dev, it's someone on a payroll.

Take notice of that context and what it means.

Unprofessional or not, he said it. Deal with it, and discuss the meaning of what he's saying. Character assasinations are about as far off topic as one can get, and go absolutely nowhere.

Clearly he's stupid enough to mouth off in a public forum. That helps to degrade his credibility a bit.

And that's a damn ad hominem. A few stupid twitter comments doesn't suddenly mean the guy doesn't know his stuff. Sorry but you really should avoid these threads as your bias gets the better of you more often than not. 

think-man said:
Will I get banned if I say I kinda agree with him?

Well let's get to the point, the mod team has looked at his comments in question, and if he would have posted them here on gamrConnect, he would be banned for it. Those comments are seen as trolling for their inflammatory nature ("Wii U is shit" "Awful console" etc.) and hyperbolic, unfounded claims ("Operates like it's still 1990" "Only Mario and Zelda make money" etc.).

So if all you're going to do is say "I agree!" or "So true!", then you're agreeing with trolling, which is trolling in itself (Which we've already seen twice in this thread). This is not NeoGAF or 4chan. If you are going to have such opinions, you better be ready to back them up with data and facts (you were going to agree with the "Nintendo platforms have always been very poor revenue wise for third parties" Comment. Well being that you're on a website dedicated to game sales data, use that to investigate your claim and see what you come up with.)

I'd certainly respect that as someone who wants to see great discussion on this thread, or you can just take pot shot at groups of people in this thread by calling them Nintendo Defense Force or comparing them to your annoying cousin. But I really don't think these comments add anything to the discussion.

Mazty said:
Mr Khan said:
fillet said:

He's been a software engineer for EA for over 10 years. Anything he says is "technical". If he's putting himself and credibility on the line to say this stuff then it's clearly from a technical perspective.

What other perspective is there? Are you suggesting that he just doesn't like Nintendo!!!? LOL. What kind of childish fanatasy land mentality is that? It's one a lot of users here seem to live in.

If someone has held a job coding for 10 years plus with 1 company and stayed there..that says to me that person knows their shit.

Unprofessional or not, he said it. Deal with it, and discuss the meaning of what he's saying. Character assasinations are about as far off topic as one can get, and go absolutely nowhere.

Clearly he's stupid enough to mouth off in a public forum. That helps to degrade his credibility a bit.

And that's a damn ad hominem. A few stupid twitter comments doesn't suddenly mean the guy doesn't know his stuff. Sorry but you really should avoid these threads as your bias gets the better of you more often than not. 

Ah, you quoted me before my edit.

The ad hominem is valid in this case because we are trying to establish his credentials as a professional in the video game industry. I submit that his unprofessional conduct degrades his credibility, leaving aside the fact that there are plenty of routes (including, again, other EA employees) through which he can be proven to have been talking out of his ass.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
fillet said:

Take your obsessed gaming hat off and actually look at when he said. All legitimate stuff in my opinion. It's twitter, he can say what he likes and he'd know more than any of you lot.

He clearly knows his he will have had first hand experience with the Wii0U. How about talking about what he said from a technical angle?

The problem is that his assessment contradicts Criterion's and NFS: Most Wanted is technically superior to the PS3 and 360 versions. So it brings his competence into question. That or he simply has an agenda. Either way he looks like and is a fool. Even if he's technical assessment was true, it isn't BTW, he just went on a public forum risking his job with inflammatory comments.

The funny thing is your comment just proves mine more correct.

1. A developer who has just released a game says that game is best on the console it was released in a press release fashion...

2. A developer says in his own free time what he thinks under no duress with no benefit to himself or incentive what he thinks of a console in plain direct speak...

You're saying that number 1. has more credibility and thus number 2. has his competence questioned and he has a agenda...What agenda? Seriously your comment makes no sense at all.

Only thing it shows is that he doesn't have much regard for getting a job with Nintendo in the future and isn't afraid to voice his true opinion. Neither or which are bad. He has the credentials to say whatever he likes and get it noted.

Mazty said:
Mr Khan said:
fillet said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
fillet said:

What technical details are listed in this tweet?

I hate to step on anyone's toes but I agree. Moderation should be here to maintain a civil standard of conduct between posters. It shouldn't be here to steer opinions or only allow opinions from one side of the fence. Granted I have to imagine moderating things like political discussions is considerably more difficult.

pezus said:
Mr Khan said:
hinch said:
fillet said:

Yeah, pretty much this.

You would think that a senior software engineer at one of the biggest companies in the industry would know a thing or two about the hardware he's working on. But nope.. they'll dismiss this because they don't like the sound of it and have to come up with some rediculous conspiricy at EA to counterbalance their arguments against them.

Have you seen the thread talking about the update which overclocks the Wii U. The random article which came from an unknown source which was blatantly fake and yet people went in and believed that nonsense. There were some bat shit crazy replies on there.

You're generalizing. Most of us didn't believe it (either because the number was too high or why the hell would Nintendo deliberately down-clock in the first place? It's not like Wii U has battery life to worry about).

Meanwhile, this guy is saying things that people from his own company have proven false.

Is one game enough proof?

Between what Criterion said and what Criterion demonstrated (namely acheiving superior results on a platform to which they were completely new to development compared to platforms that they had a whole generation of familiarity with), i should say it's proof enough.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Mazty said:
Mr Khan said:
fillet said:

Ah, you quoted me before my edit.

The ad hominem is valid in this case because we are trying to establish his credentials as a professional in the video game industry. I submit that his unprofessional conduct degrades his credibility, leaving aside the fact that there are plenty of routes (including, again, other EA employees) through which he can be proven to have been talking out of his ass.

Technical credentials are mutually exclusive to "being an arsehole in public" credential.

Due to him not actually working on a game, his opinion should be seen as more valid and trustworthy than a developing arm like Criterion who have just released a game.

For the record though, I don't have an opinion on this (as in is he right/wrong) but on a mechanical level think that a developer posting on twitter as opposed to a press release/pro interview is more believeable by default, however colourful the language.

Mr Khan said:
pezus said:
Mr Khan said:
hinch said:
fillet said:

Yeah, pretty much this.

You would think that a senior software engineer at one of the biggest companies in the industry would know a thing or two about the hardware he's working on. But nope.. they'll dismiss this because they don't like the sound of it and have to come up with some rediculous conspiricy at EA to counterbalance their arguments against them.

Have you seen the thread talking about the update which overclocks the Wii U. The random article which came from an unknown source which was blatantly fake and yet people went in and believed that nonsense. There were some bat shit crazy replies on there.

You're generalizing. Most of us didn't believe it (either because the number was too high or why the hell would Nintendo deliberately down-clock in the first place? It's not like Wii U has battery life to worry about).

Meanwhile, this guy is saying things that people from his own company have proven false.

Is one game enough proof?

Between what Criterion said and what Criterion demonstrated (namely acheiving superior results on a platform to which they were completely new to development compared to platforms that they had a whole generation of familiarity with), i should say it's proof enough.

Good point.