By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Stock goes BOOM AGAIN! : Up nearly 10%

ethomaz said:

Imaginedvl said:

Well, you are the one ignoring these facts

Facts are that Sony sold two building and it helped them with their gains.
Also their gaming division is not as bad as their TV division, but they still lost a lot because of it... I do not think they will do the same mistake with PS4 but it is way too early to know.
And while the Vita is nice piece of hardware on the technical standpoint; it is effectively failing and this is certainly NOT helping Sony.

Not sure why you think we should ignore these facts just because their TV division is worse...

Back to the OP: It is still good to see some good news for Sony. I'm actually thinking of buying some Sony's stock; I think the timing is very good.

Bolded: Yes, you are right in the first two years of the PS3 lauch because they lost over $3 billion but after that the loss decreased and now it was the third (or maybe even the four because FY2009 is a merged result) year in a row that the game division posted profit.

That is a good thing at least for the Game Division.

True :)

I do not know if they made any profit overall with their gaming division but it was certainly not that bad (let's not forget the dev. cost of the PS4 too until they start to make profit out of it). I really hope they are not doing the same mistake with the PS4.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's great!
Why do articles keep mentioning the PS4's release as something good for Sony? It will just bring down the gaming divisions already small profits. 

Sony's shareholders realize that gaming isn't a threat to their wellbeing. In fact the gaming sector of the Playstation brand earned its place amongst the skeptics in the mid 90's. PS4's good press is making investors happy. Where Sony fails outside, their gaming sector shines. I just think they need to drop the PSP and they'll be fine.

But you do realize that the PS3 lost Sony a lot of money and I'm sure investors weren't happy about that. Investors don't care if its the TV division or the games division that's losing money, they just want Sony to make their unprofitable divisions profitable. 

Also, I doubt investors optimism is due to the PS4's good press. If investors cared so much about the PS4, then we would've seen big share price gains after the announcement but we didn't. Investors are happy because the yen is falling, and Sony has become profitable again. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:

Also, I doubt investors optimism is due to the PS4's good press. If investors cared so much about the PS4, then we would've seen big share price gains after the announcement but we didn't. Investors are happy because the yen is falling, and Sony has become profitable again. 

I agree with you on that. PS4 press is not better than it was with the PS3...
I do not see why it would affect investors optimism at all; esp. months after the announcement.

You listed the two main reasons for the jump:

- Yen falling.
- Sony becoming profitable.

Nothing to do with the PS4.

MoHasanie said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's great!
Why do articles keep mentioning the PS4's release as something good for Sony? It will just bring down the gaming divisions already small profits. 

Sony's shareholders realize that gaming isn't a threat to their wellbeing. In fact the gaming sector of the Playstation brand earned its place amongst the skeptics in the mid 90's. PS4's good press is making investors happy. Where Sony fails outside, their gaming sector shines. I just think they need to drop the PSP and they'll be fine.

But you do realize that the PS3 lost Sony a lot of money and I'm sure investors weren't happy about that. Investors don't care if its the TV division or the games division that's losing money, they just want Sony to make their unprofitable divisions profitable. 

Something like that would affect Microsofts investors more than Sony. A great portion of Microsofts investors want absolutely nothing to do with the gaming industry and don't care whether the Kinect is a success. Microsoft has been ignoring them for two gens, now. Sonys investors only bitched for part of one generation and then stopped. Sony's investors were skeptical, hell the board of directors laughed at Kutaragi when got caught helping Nintendo on their CD tech and he expressed interest in even creating the Playstation after Sony and Nintendo parted ways contractually. Sony and Kutaragi made their investors believe first gen in that gaming was a high profit point for them and welcomed gaming into the family of things that Sony does. The PS3 was Kutaragi's last mistake and was a well intentioned but screwed up development process, which is why they made him step down. He caused the PS3 to be so overpriced based on parts yet totally lack cost effectiveness. Sony remedied luckily is a very good in house developer, so they covered their ends. Their PS3 is profitable, the PSVita is another story. Look at the latest Pach Attack where Michael Pachter was talking about Microsoft the fact that the bitching of ivestors doesnt really matter if they dont make up the majority of shareholders. It only matters about shares. A company bought 2 Billion in shares for Microsoft and yet their opinion still doesnt matter (LOL). Anyway, that was just an example, but the reason Sony approval matters more based on positive press affecting stocks is because good or bad it matters more because it actually affects the companies truer growth. Doesn't work out that way with MS. Again, this is just an example to show the night and day of how stocks work for both of them. I would use Nintendo, but Nintendo only focuses on games, so that would've been lame. LOL

The PS4 needs to be unveiled officially by showing the box and the coverage will expand before we can talk about whether to doubt Sonys reception and stock.

SnakeDrake said:
Soul Sacrifice actually had an effect.

don't know much about stocks but I have a feeling this is true!!!

Around the Network

It will get better.

ethomaz said:

B b b ut the fiscal year results were poor... how can that can happen? They are selling building... this news is fake... I tell you FAKE.

Its actually "bulidings" they are selling lol. However, that aside acting like this some grand news is dishonest, just like acting like this news isn't good either:). 

When the fiscal statements where released Sony stock did drop pretty heavily but did recover fairly fast, has Sony announced anything or any rumors circling that would explain the spike?

Nice job Kaz!

NEET said:
When the fiscal statements where released Sony stock did drop pretty heavily but did recover fairly fast, has Sony announced anything or any rumors circling that would explain the spike?

The unveling was enough. It will spike even further at E3 I am sure. Once the media gets ahold of the PS4 and is theres a positive reaction at E3 the stock will rise. Popularity in sales will help as well.