By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Stock goes BOOM AGAIN! : Up nearly 10%

Sony is not in a position where it would be even in the cards to try and sell the PS4 at a loss to recoup though other areas. If they want to get out of the slump they're in they need to sell for profits now.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's great!
Why do articles keep mentioning the PS4's release as something good for Sony? It will just bring down the gaming divisions already small profits. 

Sony's shareholders realize that gaming isn't a threat to their wellbeing. In fact the gaming sector of the Playstation brand earned its place amongst the skeptics in the mid 90's. PS4's good press is making investors happy. Where Sony fails outside, their gaming sector shines. I just think they need to drop the PSP and they'll be fine.

Glad to see some good news for Sony. They deserve it. I love the Ps3, the Vita is a great handheld that will eventually get better software wise, and the Ps4 is going to be awesome. Cant wait to see what they have planned for e3.

alastor@where said:
Let's be honest. Sony selling two huge headquarters had alot to do with its gains this year. Not its gaming division. Or a ps4 announcement. Look at Vita. It's failing. Gaming in general is changing. And not for the better.

I love how people keep bringing up those buildings and completely ignore everything they bought last fiscal year.

What do you mean by vita is failing? Does its failure affect Sony when they probably don't lose any money on each system sold? The ps3 was a financial disaster initially for Sony, the vita hasn't even gotten a proper price cut yet. They obviously don't care enough and thus are not losing any money off of it. It's just one of their many producs. Just like their smartphones sell terribly compared to apple and samsung, so the vita is selling horribly compared to 3ds, but all they need is to make money, not be first. If you wanna look at something, look at their tv failure.

So is Kaz turning things around?

Around the Network
naruball said:
alastor@where said:
Let's be honest. Sony selling two huge headquarters had alot to do with its gains this year. Not its gaming division. Or a ps4 announcement. Look at Vita. It's failing. Gaming in general is changing. And not for the better.

I love how people keep bringing up those buildings and completely ignore everything they bought last fiscal year.

What do you mean by vita is failing? Does its failure affect Sony when they probably don't lose any money on each system sold? The ps3 was a financial disaster initially for Sony, the vita hasn't even gotten a proper price cut yet. They obviously don't care enough and thus are not losing any money off of it. It's just one of their many producs. Just like their smartphones sell terribly compared to apple and samsung, so the vita is selling horribly compared to 3ds, but all they need is to make money, not be first. If you wanna look at something, look at their tv failure.

Well, you are the one ignoring these facts

Facts are that Sony sold two building and it helped them with their gains.
Also their gaming division is not as bad as their TV division, but they still lost a lot because of it... I do not think they will do the same mistake with PS4 but it is way too early to know.
And while the Vita is nice piece of hardware on the technical standpoint; it is effectively failing and this is certainly NOT helping Sony.

Not sure why you think we should ignore these facts just because their TV division is worse...

Back to the OP: It is still good to see some good news for Sony. I'm actually thinking of buying some Sony's stock; I think the timing is very good.

Provided they keep making progress towards becoming profitable in the future this is expected. If the quarterlies start to show the restructure isn't working though it'll fall as fast as it's risen. Here's hoping they have a strong year.

Imaginedvl said:

Also their gaming division is not as bad as their TV division, but they still lost a lot because of it... I do not think they will do the same mistake with PS4 but it is way too early to know.
And while the Vita is nice piece of hardware on the technical standpoint; it is effectively failing and this is certainly NOT helping Sony.

Not sure why you think we should ignore these facts just because their TV division is worse...

Back to the OP: It is still good to see some good news for Sony. I'm actually thinking of buying some Sony's stock; I think the timing is very good.

Bolded: Yes, you are right in the first two years of the PS3 lauch because they lost over $3 billion but after that the loss decreased and now it was the third (or maybe even the four because FY2009 is a merged result) year in a row that the game division posted profit.

That is a good thing at least for the Game Division.

Keep trimming those TV losses Kaz. I feel like that's more important than anything. It's such a ridiculous money sink for them.

With the gains made by the new Xperia models, hopefully their phones division can become integral in time. And perhaps, with a decent PS4 launch, the games division won't be such a money pit this time around. It's a good job they've got the financial services division providing such a backbone of income, too.

I know it's a long way away, but next FY's report will be interesting if there's no asset sales to prop up the books. We'll see what kind of turnaround Kaz has really managed so far, if any.

Imaginedvl said:
naruball said:
alastor@where said:

How did I ignore the facts? I mentioned the buidlings, did YOU mention everything they bought? NO. Who's ignoring facts?

I did not say that vita is helping sony. I said it does not seem to be hurting them financially. If you're an investor and see that the vita is not doing well, but it's not bleeding money, then you can ignore it. Conversely,  the loss that ps3 resulted in could not have been ignored by the investors and if it's a similar case with ps4, I'm sure many will sell their shares, because of that, not the insginificant vita.

I only mentioned the TV division, because if I were a major shareholder, I would demand to know their plans on the TV division which has been on the red for almost a decade. The vita does not have such an impact. Yes, the vita is a failure both on our and sony's expectations, but how much money have they spent on it and how much are they gaining? If it's a failure, it's an insiginificant one. The TV divsion is not!