By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Stock goes BOOM AGAIN! : Up nearly 10%

The weak Yen because of the aggressive monetary policies from the BOJ has boded well for Japanese exporters - sales and profits are up. I imagine Sony is benefiting from this. Plus they reported a profit recently (albeit most of it has to do with selling assets and not product growth). Either way, an increase is good and I hope the PS4 and their other products will do well over the years.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's great!
Why do articles keep mentioning the PS4's release as something good for Sony? It will just bring down the gaming divisions already small profits. 

Because how much a company makes it not the end all be all, sales are just important.  Look at apple, they are earning record profits but their stock is down 40% because of slowing sales and margins.  Sony is projecting an increase of some 7 billion dollars in sales for next year on the back of the PS4 and cell phones.

But investors at Apple are worried that with increasing competition, Apple's sales will decrease and profits will fall. Also, Apple's shareholders think that other than the Ipad and Iphone, Apple doesn't have any other big products and if the sales of those products fall substantially then Apple will suffer a lot. 
Also to shareholders, profits are their main concern. And, the gaming division is not even a significant contributor to Sony's profits so I still don't get why it is important enough to mention the PS4 in nearly every article. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Ssliasil said:
MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's great!
Why do articles keep mentioning the PS4's release as something good for Sony? It will just bring down the gaming divisions already small profits. 

Because unlike the PS3, the PS4 wont be sold at a loss and its R&D cost arent even in the same ball park.  Initial marketing will cost Sony, naturally; but since the PS4 is cheaper and easier to develop for than the PS3 - Sony will be making much greater profits from game sales.   This is just one of the reasons :)

We don't know if the PS4 will be sold at a loss. Some people say that they will have to sell it at a $100 loss to keep it competitive with the Nexbox. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:

We don't know if the PS4 will be sold at a loss. Some people say that they will have to sell it at a $100 loss to keep it competitive with the Nexbox.

Remember the PS4 uses cheaper components now... in PS3 the BD drive costed $360 and only the Cell $110... the PS4 alone will cost less than $100 (CPU+GPU) and there are no more expensive BD drive.

If Sony will have a loss with each PS4 unit will be less than $50.

I think Sony can sell the PS4 at $399 without profit or loss.

Nice! Things are starting to look up for Sony. Hope this upward trend can continue.

Around the Network

The main thing is to continue growing their smart phone market share and to fix their television business so that it's not bleeding money. They keep down that path and the company should be alright in the long run.

It's just fortunate that they've managed to turn heads with the new Xperia models. That could be their saving grace. Also, the people responsible for that turnaround need a raise.

As far as investors go, the smart phone aspect is about a billion times more important than the gaming division aspect.

naruball said:
Surprised Kowenicki didn't post about this. Can't wait for his educated thoughts (after all, he follows financials of Sony and MS pretty closely).

5% doesn't seem that impressive to me, but what do I know? At least it's positive news for a change.

why would he post...this isnt negative news

OT: kaz

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

radiantshadow92 said:
naruball said:
Surprised Kowenicki didn't post about this. Can't wait for his educated thoughts (after all, he follows financials of Sony and MS pretty closely).

5% doesn't seem that impressive to me, but what do I know? At least it's positive news for a change.

why would he post...this isnt negative news

OT: kaz

lol so true

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Let's be honest. Sony selling two huge headquarters had alot to do with its gains this year. Not its gaming division. Or a ps4 announcement. Look at Vita. It's failing. Gaming in general is changing. And not for the better.

Their market cap is almsot double as it was sometime last year.