By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What made Microsoft succeed where Sega could not?

halo

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
halo

At the respective zeniths of their cultural influence, Sonic had way more pull than Halo, who never got further into expanded universe material than a novel series (with the movie attempt never panning out), as opposed to Sonic, who was, for a time, an omnipresent cultural icon.

Though at the same time, Halo has likely sold as much or more.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sega had cutting edge hardware and good games but they tried to launch an innovative online network and simply ran out of money.

MS came around with cutting edge hardware, good games, and launched an even more innovative and more costly online network and they won't run out of money.

So the difference was money.

Segas games were all generic and so were Microsofts. Halo saved Microsofts launch and they had the majority of third parties available on the Xbox. Where the third parties go the majority of gamers will go.

MONEY

MONEY

LOTS OF MONEY!!

Around the Network
badgenome said:
pokoko said:

Look, I'm normally hard on you because I care.  I'm afraid that you're being spoiled by all the compliments you get and it troubles my heart.  I don't want to see you living on the street, constantly talking of your past glory on VGC to all the other bums.

This, however, is worthy of praise.  I'm going to draw a flower on your worksheet.

You are a harsh mistress, but a fair one.

badgenome said:
Passion and creavity.

j/k, money,

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:
Ballmer's lucky bald spot

His whole head is a bald spot. I guess that's a lot of luck.

I love you, man.

Yeah money. They could back up all their development, loss, etc.
No smaller company would have survived that or kept going. It's really funny, though, that Microsoft did a lot of stuff that SEGA introduced to the world of consoles or did better than Nintendo in the first place. It's kinda like a new SEGA with a Dreamcast 2 (yeah, SEGA fans will hate that comparison) just that Microsoft pushes it into the mainstream line which SEGA could not do in the past (not just company failure, there was a different market).

MONEY and online infrastructure.

A nearly infinite supply of monetary resources as well as the benefit of being an American company, America being the largest part of the console market.

Money and "Mericanism.
Also guns.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Segas games were all generic and so were Microsofts. Halo saved Microsofts launch and they had the majority of third parties available on the Xbox. Where the third parties go the majority of gamers will go.

Sega's games were generic? I HIGHLY disagree. While Streets of Rage was very similar to Capcom's Street Fighter and Final Fight series', it was high quality and very enjoyable. Sonic, of course, wasn't even close to generic (always my preference when compared with Mario), and other stuff like Altered Beast, Phantasy Star, and Virtua Fighter have all made their marks. They failed strictly because they bit off more than they could chew, not because of a weakness in software. 

Now as for Microsoft, to me, their issue has never been quality, but quantity and questionable business decisions. I'd prefer them to pump their cash into new, fresh IPs by In-House studios, rather than go after every 3rd party exclusive the PlayStation had. They don't stand out because their own studios aren't doing enough (again, just my view) against Sony, Nintendo, and Sega. They have the weakest 1st party of the bunch, but they survived because they had the cash, were smarter than Sega, and did their reseacrh to combat Sony.

In the early 90's sega wasnt generic, but at some point certain styles like arcade titles lost the style and flair of its era as we started moving towards the new millenium. Nintendo has the disney effect, which bred characters that had a marketable look and color scheme to attract the eye creating timeless characters. Sonic was the only timeless character sega ever created and it saved the Sega genesis vs Mario in megadrive/genesis. I loved Sega, but their 90's arcade approach went stale. Why does Virtua Fighter have such a slim fanbase? Because its generic. Its a pure gameplay with little look or style and very technical. Only the best of the best played it and I did until I started got my Playstation and got Tekken. I stopped playing my 32X on my Genesis and went cold turkey on the Virtua Fighter. It had interesting characters an interesting story and more. Segas games had arcade gameplay quality, but what would prompt me to buy a Dreamcast when I could play the same games at the arcade with my friends? Sega shot themselves in the foot partially for many reasons and one of them was having a superior form of their games elsewhere and playable for cheaper prices earlier on. Second of all even though they only sold like what ten million Dreamcasts, they had a ton of games pirated based on format? The quality of their games were good, but generic in style and they had been sending the wrong message to consumers since the Saturn era, which didn't last very long to begin with. 

As for Microsoft, their problem with first party will be rectified by hiring the industries best by pulling out their checkbook. Plain and simple.