By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What made Microsoft succeed where Sega could not?

Endless pools of money

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
DevilRising said:

slowmo said:

Microsoft haven't had it easy entering the business like Sony and Sega. Sega entered at a time when the industry was just recovering. The fact Nintendo had licensing policies that pushed third parties towards the Sega platform helped enormously, let's not forget that the arcade division of Sega pretty much made their brand too with the promise of the arcade experience in your home.

Uh.....sorry, but bullshit. Nintendo's licensing policies didn't "drive third parties to Sega". As in ever, at any time during the two company's history. Why do you think NES had so many games, while Master System didn't get a LOT of those games? And even when they quit that during the SNES days, most third parties CHOSE to remain developing for SNES, not Genesis.

And even in the following generation, most third parties that left Nintendo, went to the Playstation, not the Saturn. So.........what are you talking about again?

You need to learn to act like a civil person, perhaps then I might not consider your opinion to be complete garbage, then again...

slowmo said:
DevilRising said:

slowmo said:

Microsoft haven't had it easy entering the business like Sony and Sega. Sega entered at a time when the industry was just recovering. The fact Nintendo had licensing policies that pushed third parties towards the Sega platform helped enormously, let's not forget that the arcade division of Sega pretty much made their brand too with the promise of the arcade experience in your home.

Uh.....sorry, but bullshit. Nintendo's licensing policies didn't "drive third parties to Sega". As in ever, at any time during the two company's history. Why do you think NES had so many games, while Master System didn't get a LOT of those games? And even when they quit that during the SNES days, most third parties CHOSE to remain developing for SNES, not Genesis.

And even in the following generation, most third parties that left Nintendo, went to the Playstation, not the Saturn. So.........what are you talking about again?

You need to learn to act like a civil person, perhaps then I might not consider your opinion to be complete garbage, then again...

Why? Because I said the word "bullshit"? I Wasn't being hostile towards you. I was "calling bullshit" on something you stated. Nothing else I said lacked merit, or is patently UN-true. So disregarding what someone has to say because they dared to use a "potty word", is rather immature and unwarrented.

Sorry if you were offended by such an innocuous term, by my point still stands, validity and all.

DevilRising said:
slowmo said:
DevilRising said:

slowmo said:

Why? Because I said the word "bullshit"? I Wasn't being hostile towards you. I was "calling bullshit" on something you stated. Nothing else I said lacked merit, or is patently UN-true. So disregarding what someone has to say because they dared to use a "potty word", is rather immature and unwarrented.

Sorry if you were offended by such an innocuous term, by my point still stands, validity and all.

So does mine, Nintendo has a long history of upsetting third parties with stringent licensing that impeeded developers.  The fact that EA pretty much made their break on Sega platforms where they could circumvent some of the stranglehold of publishing on consoles.  The immmaturity is using the "potty" word to dismiss an entire post which had many other points despite the one you cherry picked, it really wasn't needed imo.

Around the Network

Wow, didn't notice this thread so far. But the reason is the same as it is for Sony: Both entered the market with a lot more money than Sega. Sony is the main reason why Sega failed in the end because they had no chance to compete against the PSX with Saturn. Dreamcast was a nice console but their end was already at the horizon after they developed two different Dreamcasts (technically different).

Money and superior marketing.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

spurgeonryan said:
walsufnir said:
Wow, didn't notice this thread so far. But the reason is the same as it is for Sony: Both entered the market with a lot more money than Sega. Sony is the main reason why Sega failed in the end because they had no chance to compete against the PSX with Saturn. Dreamcast was a nice console but their end was already at the horizon after they developed two different Dreamcasts (technically different).

Two different Dreamcasts? I do not remember this.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Dreamcast_Development

They were also planning a 3dfx-version, called "black belt". MS was also in that boat and perhaps this all went eventually to the first Xbox ;)