By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction thread: Will Wii U's 3D Mario sell more or less than Super Mario Galaxy?

More or less?

More 66 34.38%

Less 126 65.63%

Total:192
happydolphin said:
Trunkin said:

Ah, but Sony clearly is making enough money to fuel development for new titles, and Nintendo has the stronger IP's. Sure, if Nintendo goes the Sony route, they may make less profits, but in the end their games will be better for it. I thought Nintendo actually cared about quality, but right now they're starting to feel a bit like EA. Even worse, actually, because EA at least puts some effort(or money, rather) into their flagship titles.

3DWorld actually looks fun, and I'm sure you've played 3DLand you'll know that it's a fun game and nothing of low quality like what some other publishers make on Nintendo consoles, it's still good old Nintendo fun. It just isn't Galaxy-caliber quality, but it's great nonetheless.

Nintendo doesn't have, never had the desire to pump Sony-like high-production titles on and on. They don't want to do that because it is a lousy business practice. They do offer high-production titles when they see it bringing in returns in terms of expectations and sales. That's why the quote from Iwata was important.

“Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources.”

They don't need to produce expensive games like Sony does, but what I expect is for each game they release to be special in some way. They probably won't fall back on storyline, so they'll have to achieve it through ideas and innovations. They don't need a $100 million budget to make an interesting, unique title. It'd also be nice if they could finish their games more quickly while retaining a certain standard of excellence that I've come to expect from Nintendo.

In addition to that, a game doesn't have to be expensive to be aesthetically pleasing. I would count it as a plus if Nintendo were to start putting a bit more effort into the presentation of their Mario titles. They did it with Mario Galaxy, their RPG titles, and even Mario Strikers, but most of them are starting to feel a bit bland.

Around the Network

less, probably because the wii u will sale less overall

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Trunkin said:

They don't need to produce expensive games like Sony does, but what I expect is for each game they release to be special in some way. They probably won't fall back on storyline, so they'll have to achieve it through ideas and innovations. They don't need a $100 million budget to make an interesting, unique title. It'd also be nice if they could finish their games more quickly while retaining a certain standard of excellence that I've come to expect from Nintendo.

In addition to that, a game doesn't have to be expensive to be aesthetically pleasing. I would count it as a plus if Nintendo were to start putting a bit more effort into the presentation of their Mario titles. They did it with Mario Galaxy, their RPG titles, and even Mario Strikers, but most of them are starting to feel a bit bland.

3DLand came out last year. The theme may be much too similar to NSMB to be considered fresh, so in that I'll agree. Then again, 3DWorld looks to expand much over 3DLand, there is so much more for us to see in the game. Also, it's not the first time they re-use games in a non high-production Mario Game (NSMB).

If you're looking for titles that don't follow that pattern, you have Zelda: A link across worlds, Smash 3DS/U, X, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and lots of other fresh ideas, as well as the obviously upcoming successor to Galaxy and to Zelda. Take a step back and see that what Nintendo offers with that is not so different from what we got on the cube in terms of core experiences.

happydolphin said:

3DLand came out last year. The theme may be much too similar to NSMB to be considered fresh, so in that I'll agree. Then again, 3DWorld looks to expand much over 3DLand, there is so much more for us to see in the game. Also, it's not the first time they re-use games in a non high-production Mario Game (NSMB).

If you're looking for titles that don't follow that pattern, you have Zelda: A link across worlds, Smash 3DS/U, X, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and lots of other fresh ideas, as well as the obviously upcoming successor to Galaxy and to Zelda. Take a step back and see that what Nintendo offers with that is not so different from what we got on the cube in terms of core experiences.

It looks like 3DWorld is to 3DLand as NSMBWii is to NSMB, so the chances are I'll like the Wii U version better. I'll buy it. I kinda have to; there's no replacement for Mario. 

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Project X do look fantastic and fresh, but they aren't by any of Nintendo's internal dev teams(Namely EAD). They're the ones I'm really disapponted in. That said, A Link Across Worlds does have me really excited, Pikmin 3 has me hyped(though it took way to long to develop), and basically everything they've announced for 3DS so far looks great, but I guess I just expected more from their entrance into the realm of HD gaming. If you're right about there being a proper 3D Mario in the works, then I may have something to look forward to, but I'll be keeping my hopes well in check from now on.

Trunkin said:

It looks like 3DWorld is to 3DLand as NSMBWii is to NSMB, so the chances are I'll like the Wii U version better. I'll buy it. I kinda have to; there's no replacement for Mario. 

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Project X do look fantastic and fresh, but they aren't by any of Nintendo's internal dev teams(Namely EAD). They're the ones I'm really disapponted in. That said, A Link Across Worlds does have me really excited, Pikmin 3 has me hyped(though it took way to long to develop), and basically everything they've announced for 3DS so far looks great, but I guess I just expected more from their entrance into the realm of HD gaming. If you're right about there being a proper 3D Mario in the works, then I may have something to look forward to, but I'll be keeping my hopes well in check from now on.

I think it's more than safe to assume that there is a proper 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in the pipeline and you will be satisfied in the long run. This is only the first year of the U, we have a lot to look forward to, and I'm personally already more than pleased with Smash (will be buying a U just for that if the 3DS doesn't suffice) as well as with Mario Kart 8, the rest will come in a year or so and I will have more than what I need personally. I think you'll be more satisfied in a year or two, when those games come out. If I thought like you, I would have lost all hope in a proper smash sequel, which we all know was never an option.

To expect a proper 3D Mario and 3D Zelda is not wishful thinking, it's not getting hopes up, it's just reasonable. I have high hopes for your satisfaction in the coming year or so.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

I think it's more than safe to assume that there is a proper 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in the pipeline and you will be satisfied in the long run. This is only the first year of the U, we have a lot to look forward to, and I'm personally already more than pleased with Smash (will be buying a U just for that if the 3DS doesn't suffice) as well as with Mario Kart 8, the rest will come in a year or so and I will have more than what I need personally. I think you'll be more satisfied in a year or two, when those games come out. If I thought like you, I would have lost all hope in a proper smash sequel, which we all know was never an option.

To expect a proper 3D Mario and 3D Zelda is not wishful thinking, it's not getting hopes up, it's just reasonable. I have high hopes for your satisfaction in the coming year or so.

Hmm, after watching Nintendo's SM3dWorld developer direct, I think it actually is pretty safe to say that there should be a proper 3D Mario game coming some time. I still don't expect to see in in the next two years, though. 

The Developer Directs have made me feel just a little bit better about this whole thing. Some vestige of my faith in Nintendo may survive this after all. Heh.

Trunkin said:

Hmm, after watching Nintendo's SM3dWorld developer direct, I think it actually is pretty safe to say that there should be a proper 3D Mario game coming some time. I still don't expect to see in in the next two years, though. 

The Developer Directs have made me feel just a little bit better about this whole thing. Some vestige of my faith in Nintendo may survive this after all. Heh.

I'm glad to hear it. Chin up bro.

More % continues to gain. Very interesting.