By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction thread: Will Wii U's 3D Mario sell more or less than Super Mario Galaxy?

More or less?

More 66 34.38%

Less 126 65.63%

Total:192
happydolphin said:
Trunkin said:

I've been waiting (im)patiently for Nintendo's internal teams to show off something that can even compete with last gen in graphics and scope, but they continue to disappoint(outside of MK). They've had plenty of time. I mean, they haven't made a significant game release in nearly 3 years! It almost seems like they don't have the resources to make AAA titles, or something. I'm fully expecting the next Zelda to look like an HD Skyward Sword, at this point. 

It will come man... Pikmin is going to be playable, it's in glorious HD, MK8 is going to be playable in glorious HD, so is Smash. Not all Nintendo games are cutting-edge, so what we have now is enough until the big-hitters come in, which are generally once maybe twice a gen (Mario, Metroid, Zelda).

Yknow, it's possible that my disappointment is causing me to overreact just a bit, but the fact remains that nothing Nintendo has shown so far is really cutting edge., and we'll be waiting a long time to be disappointed by their bigger titles down the road. Meanwhile, M$ and Sony's dev teams are happily releasing blockbusters every other year like clockwork.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:

Yknow, it's possible that my disappointment is causing me to overreact just a bit, but the fact remains that nothing Nintendo has shown so far is really cutting edge., and we'll be waiting a long time to be disappointed by their bigger titles down the road. Meanwhile, M$ and Sony's dev teams are happily releasing blockbusters every other year like clockwork.

@bold. But who cares? Most of us don't play those games bar a few exceptions. We like Nintendo games, we buy Nintendo games, they cater to our tastes.

The cutting edge games Nintendo will give us will follow their usual schedule, which this far is completely in line with the cube's progression (for core games that is).

I can see it outselling Galaxy 2, but probably not the first one.

Either way, beating Galaxy 2 should be enough to justify that the 3D Mario franchise is getting back on track.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

happydolphin said:
Trunkin said:

@bold. But who cares? Most of us don't play those games bar a few exceptions. We like Nintendo games, we buy Nintendo games, they cater to our tastes.

The cutting edge games Nintendo will give us will follow their usual schedule, which this far is completely in line with the cube's progression (for core games that is).

I care, because it should not be so. Why can Naughty Dog release two extremely well recieved games in less time than it takes Nintendo to complete Pikmin 3? Now, I don't particularly enjoy Uncharted, but the fact remains that a lot of work goes into making those games. Instead of making little cash grabs like NSMB and now SM3DW, why can't Nintendo expand their current studios to bring their GOOD titles to completion in a reasonable amount of time?

Trunkin said:

I care, because it should not be so. Why can Naughty Dog release two extremely well recieved games in less time than it takes Nintendo to complete Pikmin 3? Now, I don't particularly enjoy Uncharted, but the fact remains that a lot of work goes into making those games. Instead of making little cash grabs like NSMB and now SM3DW, why can't Nintendo expand their current studios to bring their GOOD titles to completion in a reasonable amount of time?

Because if they did they would be making as little money as Sony and we wouldn't be seeing much more GOOD titles later. It takes money to fuel those games you know.

Around the Network

Looks like more is going up in percentage post E3 unveiling.

happydolphin said:
Trunkin said:

Because if they did they would be making as little money as Sony and we wouldn't be seeing much more GOOD titles later. It takes money to fuel those games you know.

Ah, but Sony clearly is making enough money to fuel development for new titles, and Nintendo has the stronger IP's. Sure, if Nintendo goes the Sony route, they may make less profits, but in the end their games will be better for it. I thought Nintendo actually cared about quality, but right now they're starting to feel a bit like EA. Even worse, actually, because EA at least puts some effort(or money, rather) into their flagship titles.

It has 4 player co-op. That is easier to marker then galaxy was.

I would think it has a chance to outsell it.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Trunkin said:

Ah, but Sony clearly is making enough money to fuel development for new titles, and Nintendo has the stronger IP's. Sure, if Nintendo goes the Sony route, they may make less profits, but in the end their games will be better for it. I thought Nintendo actually cared about quality, but right now they're starting to feel a bit like EA. Even worse, actually, because EA at least puts some effort(or money, rather) into their flagship titles.

3DWorld actually looks fun, and I'm sure you've played 3DLand you'll know that it's a fun game and nothing of low quality like what some other publishers make on Nintendo consoles, it's still good old Nintendo fun. It just isn't Galaxy-caliber quality, but it's great nonetheless.

Nintendo doesn't have, never had the desire to pump Sony-like high-production titles on and on. They don't want to do that because it is a lousy business practice. They do offer high-production titles when they see it bringing in returns in terms of expectations and sales. That's why the quote from Iwata was important.

“Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources.”

I think every Wii U iteration of popular Wii games will sell substantially less then their 7th gen counterparts. Except maybe DKC as it is launching earlier in the life of Wii U than it did for Wii.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.