By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku expands on their Next Xbox 6 months behind report

Are you worried about the Next Xbox launch?

Yes 49 31.01%

Maybe 25 15.82%

No 83 52.53%

Total:157

I just don't buy any of this. If they're so unready, just what exactly have they been working on since, well, 2010? Just Gears 3 (I suppose Judgement largely with the same assets too) and Halo 4? I have an unbelievably hard time believing they don't have a barrage of first party stuff built up, even if they have less in the way of first party IPs and studios.

Then again, I thought the same thing with the Wii U. I expected Microsoft to be more competitive for the future than Nintendo, though.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
I cant help but wonder if MS has substantialy changed the hardware.

We got confirmation MS sent out dev kits for Durango BEFORE Sony sent out dev kits for PS4. Yet recent rumors have pointed towards heating issues and now here he mentions dev teams havent had as much time with the hardware.

Plus the reports in January that talked about a much stronger dev kit being sent out. Hmmmm

Wasn't there even rumours of hardware setbacks with the processor at that time?

Many were disputing Kotaku's supposed source over on GAF but after several known insiders in the thread all started to speak up, giving merit to this story, it seems pretty legit.

The reasons primarily behind the delay are varied and numerous. Some are saying it is due to the overheating of the DevKits. Also the final specs have been very vague for a while and Devs still kinda don't know what the final specs are so they can optimize.MS might be over taxing it's hardware to get it to perform on par with what Sony has with PS4. Which this tech problem is leading to a software problem, where not enough games will be finished at a acceptable quality to compete with Sony.

I remember there being a rumor months ago that said MS was having issue with the "quality" of their chipsets. Something about yields, etc, etc.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

No smoke without fire. I think PS4 has a huge advantage now and has the nextgen victory locked.

BenVTrigger said:
Got to be honest.....those are some troubling reports

yea hope this isnt real as there goes my dream of awesome first party software at e3 or at the reveal event. Please microsoft dont buy exclusive rights to elder scrolls or fallout as that would be really unfair for alot of people

Around the Network

None of this launch stuff matters to me.. I'm gonna buy several amazing exclusives for the wiiu this Christmas and wait for killer apps before buying either PS4 or Durango.

pezus said:
walsufnir said:
pezus said:
I don't see how this could be possible, with MS having plenty of years to prepare this time around and because many of their studios even stopped making 360 games relatively early.

Of course this is possible when considering how many consoles had a troubled (or not perfect) launch.

Possible, but unlikely then. MS have billions in their pockets and they had time on their side as well. A generation hasn't lasted as long as this current one in a long time (or ever? Not sure) so the time was more than ample. Sony's consoles have trouble because their first parties often don't jump immediately to next gen and instead make current gen games for a short while after a next gen console has released AND because they are juggling both home consoles and portables. Meanwhile, MS had only nextbox to worry about and they had more years than any of the others. More money, more time, less worries etc.

I didn't think of Sony, although they also had bad launches, but especially of Nintendo. They have released far more systems than any other company, the WiiU is in many parts still using Wii-like tech and are known for especially strong first-party-games and still WiiU was launched horribly. And Nintendo is doing gaming-business only, it's not like MS that has to fight on many frontiers.

theprof00 said:
BenVTrigger said:
I cant help but wonder if MS has substantialy changed the hardware

We got confiImation MS sent out dev kits for Durango BEFORE Sony sent out dev kits for PS4. Yet recent rumors have pointed towards heating issues and now here he mentions dev teams havent had as much time with the hardware.

Plus the reports in January that talked about a much stronger dev kit being sent out. Hmmmm

Wasn't there even rumours of hardware setbacks with the processor at that time?

The rumor was they were having low yields on the chips.  The more current rumor specifically states its a heating Issue. While the heating issue could have been the reason for the low yields i guess its a more recent rumor to specifically refer to the heating

Plus insiders at GAF are saying the specs right now arent clear or finalized.

Im positive at this point MS reacted to Sony and has made hardware changes

A new article for... nothing new?

Hmmm, Xbox 360 didn't have a mind blowing launch and it did great. A Wii U style launch wouldn't be too disastrous because it is a new gen. Wii U is a console that is 6 years too late.