By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breaking: Nintendo sends direct message to Wii owners asking them to upgrade

Does Wii U have a marketing problem?

Yes 246 78.59%

Maybe 36 11.50%

No 30 9.58%

Total:312

Yeah, that what been Nintendo problem all along.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
And yet when Sony and/or Microsoft inevitably does this, they'll be praised for their innovative direct marketing strategies.

Oh come on now. When Sony launched the "convince your friend to get a psvita and get $20 back" tons of people criticized them and said it was a desperate move. I don't think either one shows desperation. Both good strategies, especially the ninty one, as it doesn't cost them anything. People can call it desperate all they want, but at the end of the day, it could help sales and that's all ninty should care about anyway.

Seriously, why focus on/single out Sony fans though? 

Just seems like normal advertising. Sony,Microsoft, Apple, and others send me emails almost weekly to advertise their new stuff.

edit:oh not email, but the in system messaging lol. Well same concept I guess.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Being that the the Wii was purchased primarily by non-gamers, I doubt 85% of the owners even will see that message because the console isnt even plugged into the internet.

This. Most of the wii's I know are gathering dust making this last ditch attempt somewhat futile. Nintendo really dropped the ball by using the Wii title again. 

BenVTrigger said:
wfz said:
That's actually an extremely smart move. i see nothing bad here.

I agree its smart.  It does show however how awful the marketing for Wii U has been.

Most of the mass market still honestly dont realize its a new system

How do you market a system to people that pretty much is demanding they get their hands on it, to get them interested?  Pretty much, show people that having a DS in the living room is a critical thing they need?

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
BenVTrigger said:
wfz said:
That's actually an extremely smart move. i see nothing bad here.

I agree its smart.  It does show however how awful the marketing for Wii U has been.

Most of the mass market still honestly dont realize its a new system

How do you market a system to people that pretty much is demanding they get their hands on it, to get them interested?  Pretty much, show people that having a DS in the living room is a critical thing they need?

::Clears throat:: Ahem? My dear sir, I think you know the IPad already has an app for the living room.

AbbathTheGrim said:
"Wii owners, please understand that you need our WiiU."

Damn, beaten.

Mazty said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Being that the the Wii was purchased primarily by non-gamers, I doubt 85% of the owners even will see that message because the console isnt even plugged into the internet.

This. Most of the wii's I know are gathering dust making this last ditch attempt somewhat futile. Nintendo really dropped the ball by using the Wii title again. 

That is assuming non-gamers don't connect their systems to the Internet, and that over 85% of people who own Wii's are non-gamers.  There are way too many assumptions being made here, and I am sure Nintendo can tell how many Wii's are connected to the Internet anyway.

MDMAlliance said:
Mazty said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That is assuming non-gamers don't connect their systems to the Internet, and that over 85% of people who own Wii's are non-gamers.  There are way too many assumptions being made here, and I am sure Nintendo can tell how many Wii's are connected to the Internet anyway.

True with the last point, but nevertheless most of the Wii's I know of haven't been powered up in quite some time and honestly they may not be. Unless they completely rebrand the Wii U, I really can't see a way out for them to get casuals interested, and nintendo exclusives won't draw core back from the days of the N64/cube as the core market has exploded this gen. 

Marketing is extremely important - just look at the casuals. Most of them think the Wii U is a controller or don't even know it exists - in my area anyway

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032