By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breaking: Nintendo sends direct message to Wii owners asking them to upgrade

Does Wii U have a marketing problem?

Yes 246 78.59%

Maybe 36 11.50%

No 30 9.58%

Total:312
Goatseye said:
Why are the Japanese game companies horrible at marketing? At least in the west. I see this as an act of desperation.

sorry but as someone who has a degree in marketing i am gonna have to step in and tell you this is not an act of desperation. This is an act of intelligent direct marketing. Its cheap and its highly effective because it hits the exact target. Actually this is a really good method that i am afraid it takes a turn to the worse if misued (sending you spam adds ala email).

Desperation is to buy adds for the superball commercial break if you ask me. Its the same as admiting you dont know anything about your consumers.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Goatseye said:
Why are the Japanese game companies horrible at marketing? At least in the west. I see this as an act of desperation.

sorry but as someone who has a degree in marketing i am gonna have to step in and tell you this is not an act of desperation. This is an act of intelligent direct marketing. Its cheap and its highly effective because it hits the exact target. Actually this is a really good method that i am afraid it takes a turn to the worse if misued (sending you spam adds ala email).

Desperation is to buy adds for the superball commercial break if you ask me. Its the same as admiting you dont know anything about your consumers.

Who are you talking about? Also, I can't think of a single company which wouldn't benefit from a superbowl commercial break.

My only question is why didn't Nintendo start sending these out before launch, and continue sending them?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

But for that advertising to work, it would require Wii owners to actually turn their consoles on....

Good thing I already bought a wiiU, I'll just trash that message.

This has nothing to do with a marketing problem, the problem DOES EXIST, but this? This is just a message that Microsoft and Sony will send to their 360/ps3 owners once that the new generation comes... this is called free direct marketing.

Around the Network

While I agree it will not be read simply because many people no longer turn their Wii on (myself included, just rarely for the GC game) the notion that 85% of the Wii consoles were never connected to the internet is preposterous.

It's the perfect example of the elitist "hardcore" gamer who thinks the expanded audience consists of a bunch of fools who cannot use electricity properly. FYI, it's the complete opposite.

Nothing wrong with doing this. They should have done it at launch. Given the current situation though, it makes Nintendo look desperate.

ShonenStyle said:
This has nothing to do with a marketing problem, the problem DOES EXIST, but this? This is just a message that Microsoft and Sony will send to their 360/ps3 owners once that the new generation comes... this is called free direct marketing.

Microsoft is in an even better position as they can put a huge Xbox 720 ad on the dashboard.

This won't work because, regardless of what alot of posters here say, the console doesn't really have an audience. It's not lack of games, or marketing. It's the fact that it's not nearly core enough for the core players and not trendy enough for the casuals. There simply isn't an audience to BUY the Wii-U in mass like there was with the original Wii which was not so much a game console, but a cultural phenomenon.

Nintendo needed to pick one demographic and build a console for it. They tried to please everybody and failed.

Nem said:

One could argue that having to TELL people your current console is not a controller upgrade for your old console, is proof you know nothing about your consumer base.