By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breaking: Nintendo sends direct message to Wii owners asking them to upgrade

Does Wii U have a marketing problem?

Yes 246 78.59%

Maybe 36 11.50%

No 30 9.58%

Total:312

Well it would be a smart marketing move, but for the fact that a very high percentage of wwii owners haven't connected their Wii to the internet since the day they bought it. And most of those who have connected their Wii to the internet are game savvy enough to know about the Wii U.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Most likely a good percentage of Wii owners aren't even playing it anymore. To be honest I don't know a single person who bought one and still plays it. I often ask people just to see and the answer is pretty much the same when you ask someone if them remember what happened to their NES or Genesis. It just vanished without a trace.

CGI-Quality said:
Mr Khan said:
And yet when Sony and/or Microsoft inevitably does this, they'll be praised for their innovative direct marketing strategies.

One already did it. :P

Personally I think sending a message letting your customers know that your going to announce a new console is quite a bit different than sending a message 2 years after your next gen console is announced, and 5 and a half months after it released to inform people that they arent the same console.

CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mr Khan said:
And yet when Sony and/or Microsoft inevitably does this, they'll be praised for their innovative direct marketing strategies.

-pic

Personally I think sending a message letting your customers know that your going to announce a new console is quite a bit different than sending a message 2 years after your next gen console is announced, and 5 and a half months after it released to inform people that they arent the same console.

You completely missed the humor train............... :/

Ah my bad, sorry 

Will be very effective on those new red Wii Minis they are selling now.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sethnintendo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sethnintendo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ironmanDX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Being that the the Wii was purchased primarily by non-gamers, I doubt 85% of the owners even will see that message because the console isnt even plugged into the internet.

%85... You're kidding right?

Casuals know how to use Wi-Fi on their phones, how would the Wii be a problem? It wouldn't.

I agree with you but %85 is to damn high!!

The neilsens reported higher internet use of the PS3 and 360 use while the system was still fresh. If it was lower than the PS3 and 360 almost every year of its existence. The chances of casual use of a gimmick wearing off is about a year to two years or less if no updates come. The novelty is replaced by something else, like Ipads, Kinects and other things of that ilk.

The chances are high to me the majority of the Wii fanbase isnt plugged in.

You realize some use the Wii for Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon? Probably just dismiss it but if anything is a gimmick it is your comments.

You have zero facts to back up your bullshit statements. This is the last time I reply to any of your bullshit comments.

Yes some and neilsens last time I check stated that the highest the Wii got was probably 2011. You're very protective of Nintendo. The PS3 has the most usage of netflix than any other console. Nielsens even stated the Ipad and I products are higher on kids agendas today than the Wii U last year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/half-of-all-netflix-users-connect-via-a-game-console-nintendo/

http://www.destructoid.com/wii-is-the-most-popular-console-for-netflix-streaming-207510.phtml

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/04/wii_least_connected_of_us_consoles Read last link. Wii is in last for consoles. However, 54% of US Wiis are connected. How about next time you don't pull an assumption out of your ass.

As I said...2011 was the Wii's highest year according to the neilsens. It was also the last major year for the Wii.

You do this every time. You pull statistics out of your ass, someone calls you on it, and then you just deflect, deflect, deflect.

I wasn't in argument with the post. Most of those articles were the ones I read in 2010-2011. What they are stating is exactly what I am saying. Theres no deflection. 2011 was the highest year charted by the neilsens for the use of the Wii. 

pezus said:
Mr Khan said:

Isn't it better to wait and see if Sony and/or MS will actually do this and then wait for the reaction before condemning the media?

Isn't Sony already doing this? The "What's New" thing has had a PS4 ad on it for ages

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Damn, they really did screw up with the name, huh? Even Iwata said as much.

Hopefully, this at least clears up the confusion. They should've just named it the Wii 2 or something, though...

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

BenVTrigger said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mr Khan said:

That is the difference, yes. I don't think directly contacting your customers like this is any sign of desperation per se, it's quite smart actually, (I remember Sony emailing people about the PS4 event too, I think?) it's the content of and circumstances around the message itself (that you just described) that is being ridiculed. 

Euphoria14 said:
Will be very effective on those new red Wii Minis they are selling now.

Ohhh B.R.U.T.A.L!

I don't see anything bad about this kind of marketing, don't know about it's effectivness though, maybe we'll find out soon. It's pretty much what Sony is already doing with it's "What's New" CrossMedia Bar button on PS3 and I bet the same thing is true about Xbox so it's nothing new or groundbreaking.

On the other hand Nintendo fans shouldn't get upset when someone starts to ridicule Nintendo's marketing strategy regarding Wii U, because well, these messages are the best proof that they did a lousy job to enlarge the general consumer awaresness about what exactly the Wii U is. Of course it tells how little technological knowlegde the mass market has about gaming consoles but well in the end it was Nintendo job to change it and apparently it still is, which shows that they failed given how much time they had since the unveil and Wii U's release.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!