By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ESPN journalist Chris Broussard on NBA's Jason Collins: Homosexuality is a sin and living in sin isn't Christian

Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:
Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."
Are people who have tattoos allowed in the bible club? Are they chastised, driven from the church, called sinners who will burn in hell for their lifestyles? Of course not, but why are homosexuals? People who get tattoos are making a conscious decision to defy the lord against clear words in the bible. Homosexuals are created different, they are following their nature and don't have the luxury of choice as people who mark their bodies clearly do.
So why do Christian fundamentalists condemn homosexuals who didn't choose to be gay but look the other way when people show up to church with tattoos & other body modifications like piercings that they clearly choose to have? It seems like a double standard that is driven by ignorance & hate.

It's not that simple.

The significance and weight of a certain Bible passage depends on several factors (what's the context? 1)who delivered the passage? who was the recipient? Is it mentioned elsewhere? 2) is it to be taken literal or figurative? is there "a moral of the story"? how does it apply to a modern setting? etc etc).

Long story short, in christian apologetics homosexuality is given a totally different weight compared to some obscure commands given to the Israelites at a specific time in history.

1)"...I am the LORD."  Is that dude someone we should listen to?

2)"nor print any marks upon you" is pretty friggen literal.

How does it apply to a modern setting?  Really, I thought the bible was the perfect word of god?[/sarcasm]

Around the Network
chris_wing said:
Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:
Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."
Are people who have tattoos allowed in the bible club? Are they chastised, driven from the church, called sinners who will burn in hell for their lifestyles? Of course not, but why are homosexuals? People who get tattoos are making a conscious decision to defy the lord against clear words in the bible. Homosexuals are created different, they are following their nature and don't have the luxury of choice as people who mark their bodies clearly do.
So why do Christian fundamentalists condemn homosexuals who didn't choose to be gay but look the other way when people show up to church with tattoos & other body modifications like piercings that they clearly choose to have? It seems like a double standard that is driven by ignorance & hate.

It's not that simple.

The significance and weight of a certain Bible passage depends on several factors (what's the context? 1)who delivered the passage? who was the recipient? Is it mentioned elsewhere? 2) is it to be taken literal or figurative? is there "a moral of the story"? how does it apply to a modern setting? etc etc).

Long story short, in christian apologetics homosexuality is given a totally different weight compared to some obscure commands given to the Israelites at a specific time in history.

How does it apply to a modern setting?  Really, I thought the bible was the perfect word of god?[/sarcasm]

Please...

At least make an effort to be reasonable.

Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:
Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:

It's not that simple.

Please...

At least make an effort to be reasonable.

"Reasonable" has no place in a discussion about organized religion. Sorry, that was a low blow.

@Nintendopie  Fair enough, I suspected it has just sloppy writing but I needed to address it.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

ps3-sales! said:
Why are you condemning him for his opinion? That's pretty ignorant. Christians don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle; you act as if that's news?

Opinions are fine, but when it becomes a politcal CAMPAIGN? That's when I get mad. Alot of these Christian groups want acutal laws to prevent equal rights because of their belief system. To me, that's when the line is drawn and the fighting begins.

Well nice he brought up fornication and adultry.  Did I miss the part where he also went againt divorce also?  It would be interesting to see this trifecta come out.  It is now just get on homosexuals.

Anyhow, as for me, why would I even care what Collins does in his personal life?  If anything that is between him and God.  I would like to say more, but considering how little American society seems to be Christian, I think there is bigger gnats to strain than this one.

Around the Network

why the fuck do all these weirdos think god wrote the bible. if he is real he doesnt have a fricken pen. It was clearly written by other people and so many millions just follow peoples opinions from centuries ago

pezus said:
Max King of the Wild said:
He says a lot more than just homosexuals. Honestly, whats the big deal? He believes what he says. You believe the opposite. Okay.

Though I think his definition of being a Christian is wrong. I don't think he says anything too controversial.

I know he says more, but the only thing that was really relevant there was homosexuality, since they were discussing Jason Collins who just came out. And if you believe homosexuality is a "sin" then I guess what he says isn't controversial. However, I feel like calling something a sin due to prejudice is appalling and wonder why he even felt a need to go on a rant like that. People like him are one of the main reasons why so many are afraid of admitting their sexuality, and the problem seems really apparent in American sports at least.

It's not based on prejudice. He holds not hate or dislike for Jason Collins. He was pressured by mediator to give his opinion on it. He responded with what he believed. I don't see how people can have a problem with it. He was not rude at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

ps3-sales! said:
Why are you condemning him for his opinion? That's pretty ignorant. Christians don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle; you act as if that's news?

What if he said that women having authority over men is a sin and all school teachers should be fired? Hey, it says so in the bible. What if he said that children talking back to their parents is a sin and should be stone, like it says in the bible? Just because you quote the bible or have an opinion does not mean that it's ok to make things worse for certain people. I guess it's only an opinion if it doesn't affect you (and no, I'm not talking about you specifically ps3-sales).

I say this a Christian, who is tired seeing people quoting the bible without taking into account people's feelings and the effect of their actions.

Why aren't these concerned Christians about teenage boys abusing themselves all the time? It's a sin and everyone does it, so they must be stopped or something, right?

I just read his qoute. what he said is actually pretty awesome. he said he doesn't agree with that lifestyle, but he also doesn't let that get in the way of his relation ship with people as long as they dont harp on him about it. seems absolutely reasonable to me.

"“In talking to some people around the league, there’s a lot of Christians in the NBA, and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don’t want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That’s what L.Z. was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle, but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names….

“Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”"

Seems like a reasonable person to me. If he gets a lot of flack for this it will just hurt the gay movement. they have to have tolerance of others views also, just like they want people to be tolerant of their views.

chris_wing said:

Couldn't agree more. Haven't seen any Christians or fundamentalists outside tattoo studios with signs warning people of their choices. They also don't seem to make a fuss about synthetic. They should at the very least protest for a bit about that too and express their opinion. I seriously don't understand why anyone would waste their time telling other people what to do with their lives, as if that's gonna change their mind, and why they insist on homosexuliaty over verything else.