By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ESPN journalist Chris Broussard on NBA's Jason Collins: Homosexuality is a sin and living in sin isn't Christian

pezus said:
SxyxS said:
so -this guy is not allowed to have his own opinion?I'm pretty sure if a muslim tv reporter from a muslim country has the same opinion(and you will find hundreds of such examples) noone would care about it.Have some people more rights than others?is political correctness just a thing invented especially for western people to keep them quiet?

i don't share his point of view but he is allowed to have one and homosexuals are not an untouchable masterrace.

Where does this come from? Who has the authority to ban opinions? What do muslims have to do with this?

Homosexuals are not a race at all indeed

1)the authority to ban opinions is called:political correctness and censorship.If you wanna know who the power have to ban opinions than simply take a look in many europaen countries in which people who deny eg. holocaust will be imprisoned.I may accept this in germany because of their history but not in eg danemark as you can deny the holocaust of native americans by white christians or hindhus by arab muslims.

2)muslims are far more homophob than christians.what they have to do with this?Well,you are pointing at a single stupid reporter in the wesf but you ignore a 100% catastrophic situation for millions homosexuals in muslim countries.You simply have the wrong priorities.In western countries the homosexuals have past the worst and live in a almost heavenly situation compared to muslim countries.We are slipping towards a one-way street where huge problems are ignored while small unimportant are "made" as if they are real huge problems.

3)of course they are not a race but i don't know the right english term,but they are absolutely nothing special .why shouldn't they be criticized?Why is a single comment so important to make a thread?Especially after reading the quote(by thranx):your thread is completely out of context as this guy said some good things.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Max King of the Wild said:
crissindahouse said:
ps3-sales! said:
Why are you condemning him for his opinion? That's pretty ignorant. Christians don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle; you act as if that's news?

i know enough christians who do

There is a difference between being accepting and loving people (which is what Jesus taught and what Christians should strive for) and agreeing with it.

If you say being a homosexual is a sin, then you're not accepting and loving and therefore it could be argued that you aren't a good Christian. I would also argue that accepting and loving someone is the same as "agreeing" with him. Agreeing doesn't mean you yourself have to do the same things homosexuals do. It just means that you understand that not everyone prefers the same gender as you do.

Do you even understand what a Christian is?

A Christian takes certain stands against certain acts and lifestyles. You can accept and love someone, but still know what they do is sin. If you cannot understand that concept, then I don't think you understand Christianity at all.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
pezus said:
crissindahouse said:
ps3-sales! said:
Why are you condemning him for his opinion? That's pretty ignorant. Christians don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle; you act as if that's news?

There is a difference between being accepting and loving people (which is what Jesus taught and what Christians should strive for) and agreeing with it.

If you say being a homosexual is a sin, then you're not accepting and loving and therefore it could be argued that you aren't a good Christian. I would also argue that accepting and loving someone is the same as "agreeing" with him. Agreeing doesn't mean you yourself have to do the same things homosexuals do. It just means that you understand that not everyone prefers the same gender as you do.

A Christian takes certain stands against certain acts and lifestyles. You can accept and love someone, but still know what they do is sin. If you cannot understand that concept, then I don't think you understand Christianity at all.

There's a huge difference between considering something a sin and expressing your opinion in a way that affects other people. As a Christian I strongly disapprove of people who cheat on their partners and of people who desire other people's wives/husbands/gfs/bfs, but I don't go around calling them sinners, though they do sin. If they were to ask me, I'd tell them that yes, it is a sin, but it's none of my business or place to tell them what to do. 

Also, by telling gay people that you don't like their lifestyle is more similar to telling black people that you don't approve of their "blackness" than telling cheaters that they sin when they're cheating, as being gay is not a choice.

chris_wing said:
Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:
Slimebeast said:
chris_wing said:
Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."
Are people who have tattoos allowed in the bible club? Are they chastised, driven from the church, called sinners who will burn in hell for their lifestyles? Of course not, but why are homosexuals? People who get tattoos are making a conscious decision to defy the lord against clear words in the bible. Homosexuals are created different, they are following their nature and don't have the luxury of choice as people who mark their bodies clearly do.
So why do Christian fundamentalists condemn homosexuals who didn't choose to be gay but look the other way when people show up to church with tattoos & other body modifications like piercings that they clearly choose to have? It seems like a double standard that is driven by ignorance & hate.

It's not that simple.

The significance and weight of a certain Bible passage depends on several factors (what's the context? who delivered the passage? who was the recipient? Is it mentioned elsewhere?  is it to be taken literal or figurative? is there "a moral of the story"? how does it apply to a modern setting? etc etc).

Long story short, in christian apologetics homosexuality is given a totally different weight compared to some obscure commands given to the Israelites at a specific time in history.

1)"...I am the LORD."  Is that dude someone we should listen to?

2)"nor print any marks upon you" is pretty friggen literal.

How does it apply to a modern setting?  Really, I thought the bible was the perfect word of god?[/sarcasm]

Please...

At least make an effort to be reasonable.

"Reasonable" has no place in a discussion about organized religion. Sorry, that was a low blow.

@Nintendopie  Fair enough, I suspected it has just sloppy writing but I needed to address it.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Thanks for the moderation after I already moderated myself.  I suspect if I didn't cross it out & say sorry for insulting organized religion as a whole (not Christianity in particular) by being so bold as to suggest it may be "unreasonable" (harsh words I know), you wouldn't have even takin note of it as "flaming" as you put it.

Slimebeast - "It's not that simple.  The significance and weight of a certain Bible passage depends on several factors (what's the context? who delivered the passage? who was the recipient? Is it mentioned elsewhere?" "The question is whether to act upon those desires or not (the "lifestyle") and that's up to a person's choice"

Perfectly resonable!

Maxkingofthewild - "There are 6 passages that refrence homosexuals.

Genesis 19:1–11, Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13, Romans 1:26–27, I Corinthians 6:9 and I Timothy 1:10"

"Leviticus 20:13 NIV - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.",

which I guess is reasonable, I wouldn't want to call that unreasonable & get banned for flaming?

naruball said:
mrstickball said:
pezus said:
crissindahouse said:
ps3-sales! said:

There's a huge difference between considering something a sin and expressing your opinion in a way that affects other people. As a Christian I strongly disapprove of people who cheat on their partners and of people who desire other people's wives/husbands/gfs/bfs, but I don't go around calling them sinners, though they do sin. If they were to ask me, I'd tell them that yes, it is a sin, but it's none of my business or place to tell them what to do. 

Also, by telling gay people that you don't like their lifestyle is more similar to telling black people that you don't approve of their "blackness" than telling cheaters that they sin when they're cheating, as being gay is not a choice.

I agree with your post except for the bold. It's not comparable to skin color at all. To have the sexual desires of homosexuality is not a choice, correct, but that's not the question here. The question is whether to act upon those desires or not (the "lifestyle") and that's up to a person's choice, no matter how unfair one may think it is.

Around the Network
yum123 said:
why the fuck do all these weirdos think god wrote the bible. if he is real he doesnt have a fricken pen. It was clearly written by other people and so many millions just follow peoples opinions from centuries ago

Are you mad ! you know nothing about the holy trinity ??? god - jesus and the holy spirit

the holy spirit who take control of the Disciple to write the bible it was literaly a event and absolutly not some dudes on Drugs.

Slimebeast said:
naruball said:
mrstickball said:
pezus said:
crissindahouse said:
ps3-sales! said:

I agree with your post except for the bold. It's not comparable to skin color at all. To have the sexual desires of homosexuality is not a choice, correct, but that's not the question here. The question is whether to act upon those desires or not (the "lifestyle") and that's up to a person's choice, no matter how unfair one may think it is.

Oh, I agree with you (bolded). It's really not the same. Not the best example, but I still think it's a quite comparable. Maybe a better example would be if say you were attracted to thin girls, but that was a sin and according to the bible you were only allowed to date, marry and sleep with obese girls. You have literally no attraction to obese girls and the society keeps telling you that slim girls are bad. It just makes no sense in your head, as you're supposed to either spend your entire life alone or marry an obese girl who won't even give you an erection (how are you supposed to have sex or even fall in love of you don't find someone attractive). And then they tell you that it's your choice and that they have no problem with you being into slim girls, but they do consider you dating gilrs sinful. 

Btw, no offence to obese people. I'm just trying to give a better example and don't suggest that obese girls are unattractive, just not attractive to certain guys (same with skinny girls I guess). 

Does this make more sense?

We might not be around but christiany and any other form of religion will not exist in the ''near'' future because is not based on any facts and sooner or later people will realize it and everyone will be much happier. no more wars. no more hate. no more witchcrafting and mythical creatures will control our race. We are not there yet because the majority of people even in the west are not very educated nor open minded yet (just look at our parents and grandparents). the most idiotic question that every human is looking for answer is the purpose of our existence, which can be summarized by the big bang theory/fact that we are here by a cosmetic accident and that is about it. just enjoy your life like every other living creature is doing in this planet and be clad you where given the opportunity to be human with knowledge and advanced prain functionally to understand how lucky we are just to exist. (sorry for the lengthy comment and my bad english)

ps3-sales! said:

so we can be condemned but we cannot condmned him? i think that is the ignorant part....

prayformojo said:
ps3-sales! said:

Opinions are fine, but when it becomes a politcal CAMPAIGN? That's when I get mad. Alot of these Christian groups want acutal laws to prevent equal rights because of their belief system. To me, that's when the line is drawn and the fighting begins.

THIS makes me want to punch people in the face... They have equal rights... what you're talking about is special rights for a group of poeple who choose to live an alternate life style... and don't give me "it's not a choice" I make choices every day contrary to what I am.  Rights should be made to make sure they are not discriminated against and laws to assure that they are not pursicuted to protect them from violence. They should not get special rights to marry their partner.

As for the sin part... it is a SIN. This isn't debatable anymore then a LIE is a sin. Punching someone in the face without just cause is also a sin. In The Bible (yes people it is a book please as least capitolize it) the only sin that is unforgivable is blasphemy. All sin is equal in God's eyes... meaning it's all equally horrible and he can't look on us dirty pethetic sinners who bang our girlfriends and boyfriend or lie to our bosses when we're late or can't make it because we are sick(hungover).

Love the sinner, hate the sin. I fully support those who come out even if I don't agree with the life style they choose to live. That's on them and I am not responsible for the actions of other adults.