By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How come if you don't like an exclusive title you are automatically biased?

Michael-5 said:
J

Do you like The Last Story, or Tales of Vesperia/Infinite Undiscovery/Magna Carta 2/Star Ocean: The Last Hope (timed exclusive)? Maybe you actually just don't like Mistwalker developed games, or 360 exclusive JRPG's? While I think LO was an excellent game 360 isn't as strong or diverse of an RPG machine as PS1/PS2/DS/GBA have been.

Your not biased, it's just your taste.

------

BTW, except for my burning passion for Lost Odyssey, I kinda agree with you on this list. A lot of these games have gotten undeserved love because they are exclusive, and published by the console manufacter, but in reality, they are meh or crap.

However I did like Metroid: Other M (then again I am a huge Metroid fan) and Wii Sports (but this is a game I play with my gf).

I've never played The Last Story, but Im not a big JRPG fan.  I do like Persona 4 and Pokemon, but besides that i could never get into them.  I just now recently tried Lost Odyssey after I played Persona 4 because I thought maybe my tastes had changes.  Everybody said it was good and then I played it and just didnt care for it.  Maybe Im just playing the wrong JRPG games but I never cared for Final Fantasy either.

EDIT:  Oh and Ni No Kuni was pretty good.  I enjoyed it.

Around the Network

i agree with the gist of Jay's post... I can't stand gamers who give other gamers grief because they do not like certain AAA titles or franchises simply because of their revered statuses in the industry among "core" gamers and the media. Titles / series that fall under this category are:

Mario (the main 2D/3D games in the series)
Zelda
Halo
Gears of War
God of War
Uncharted
etc.

It's essentially the polar opposite of "Call of Duty syndrome", where a certain group of gamers will attack other gamers for actually liking and enjoying games that they despise... just check out a good chunk of the posts over in the CoD:Ghosts thread to see exactly what I mean...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159337&page=1

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

JayWood2010 said:
Michael-5 said:
J

Do you like The Last Story, or Tales of Vesperia/Infinite Undiscovery/Magna Carta 2/Star Ocean: The Last Hope (timed exclusive)? Maybe you actually just don't like Mistwalker developed games, or 360 exclusive JRPG's? While I think LO was an excellent game 360 isn't as strong or diverse of an RPG machine as PS1/PS2/DS/GBA have been.

Your not biased, it's just your taste.

------

BTW, except for my burning passion for Lost Odyssey, I kinda agree with you on this list. A lot of these games have gotten undeserved love because they are exclusive, and published by the console manufacter, but in reality, they are meh or crap.

However I did like Metroid: Other M (then again I am a huge Metroid fan) and Wii Sports (but this is a game I play with my gf).

I've never played The Last Story, but Im not a big JRPG fan.  I do like Persona 4 and Pokemon, but besides that i could never get into them.  I just now recently tried Lost Odyssey after I played Persona 4 because I thought maybe my tastes had changes.  Everybody said it was good and then I played it and just didnt care for it.  Maybe Im just playing the wrong JRPG games but I never cared for Final Fantasy either.

You don't like traditional JRPG's (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, maybe Star Ocean and Tales as well), but you seem to like the non-cliche JRPG's. Pokemon and Persona are unique, Final Fantasy, Last Story, Lost Odyssey, Dragon Quest, etc, are all kinda similar.

You might like Dragon Quest, or the Paper Mario RPG's (not Super PM), or Catherine (not an RPG, but unique), or even Kingdom Hearts. Do any of those sound interesting?

Anyway it's not biased, it's just opinion, but if you hate people calling you biased for naming a specific game, try to name a similar game on another platform. E.g. I don't like Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy, or I don't like Move games, Kinect games, or Wii Sports, etc.

P.S. If you look up the best RPG's on VGC, the top 8 are Pokemon, followed by Final Fantasy. WOW, I hope X/Y does good for the franchise.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
JayWood2010 said:

You don't like traditional JRPG's (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, maybe Star Ocean and Tales as well), but you seem to like the non-cliche JRPG's. Pokemon and Persona are unique, Final Fantasy, Last Story, Lost Odyssey, Dragon Quest, etc, are all kinda similar.

You might like Dragon Quest, or the Paper Mario RPG's (not Super PM), or Catherine (not an RPG, but unique), or even Kingdom Hearts. Do any of those sound interesting?

Anyway it's not biased, it's just opinion, but if you hate people calling you biased for naming a specific game, try to name a similar game on another platform. E.g. I don't like Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy, or I don't like Move games, Kinect games, or Wii Sports, etc.

Oh Paper Mario is a JRPG?  I loved the original Paper Mario.  I havent played the Thousand Year Door though I really should.  

I don't like Uncharted does that mean I'm biased against Sony?

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Michael-5 said:

Oh Paper Mario is a JRPG?  I loved the original Paper Mario.  I havent played the Thousand Year Door though I really should.  

Thousand Year Door is really good, very similar quality to the orginal. I can't comment on Super or Sticker Star, but they don't look as good IMO.

Yes Paper Mario is a JRPG, it's Japanese and a Role Playing Game (You do enter turn based battles and have stats you know).

Have you played Dragon Quest VIII or IX?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

NobleTeam360 said:
I don't like Uncharted does that mean I'm biased against Sony?

Obviously :P  Jp

What I tend to run into is things like what we saw earlier in the thread.  The whole situation was about the Gears J and Ascension thread.  Because I named the title of the thread "Both decreases in a month huge" or something like that I am biased?  Or if I say game A sold more than game B I'm biased.  Or if I say that Game A has better ratings than game B I'm biased.  All these things leads to someone being biased apparenty.  If you make a MSFT thread that is good you are biased.  I mean I made a deal for XBLG months ago and people went crazy about it.  If I don't like an exclusive title I'm biased, and this list goes on and on.  And I get that I defend MSFT but I also don't go around talking trash about sony or nintendo, and in some cases I defend them (although not as often).  And I also defend games like Call of Duty which is multiplatform.  Yet when I defend Call of Duty because it isn't exclusive that is ok, but if I defend a game like Halo then im biased.  Things of that nature.

Michael-5 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Michael-5 said:

Thousand Year Door is really good, very similar quality to the orginal. I can't comment on Super or Sticker Star, but they don't look as good IMO.

Yes Paper Mario is a JRPG, it's Japanese and a Role Playing Game (You do enter turn based battles and have stats you know).

I didn't care for Super Paper Mario.  Haven't played Sticker Star.  I was really hyped up for it until they said no partners and then it killed it for me.

I'm not sure.  I played one of them for the NDS, but i didnt really play it that much either.  Ive thought about trying it again because i do like the art style.

JayWood2010 said:
Michael-5 said:

I didn't care for Super Paper Mario.  Haven't played Sticker Star.  I was really hyped up for it until they said no partners and then it killed it for me.

I'm not sure.  I played one of them for the NDS, but i didnt really play it that much either.  Ive thought about trying it again because i do like the art style.

If you like Ni No Kuni, you might like Dragon Quest VIII or IX, but they do take about an hour or so to get into. I didn't like the first 20 minutes or so of DQVIII, but after 40 minutes, it was really addictive. My advice is to start with VIII or IX though, and see if it's for you.

I feel the same about Sticker Star, they took out a lot of RPG components, and really simplified gameplay, so it kinda threw me off. Have you played Super Mario RPG? It's a bit old, but it has the same comedy as Paper Mario, and at the same time plays much more like a traditional RPG. I played SMRPG first, and was a bit disappointed in Paper Mario because it's less RPG, and more Puzzle game, but both are still very similar.

If you don't like SMRPG, you'll never like Final Fantasy, but it's a good game to try to really give Square Enix a chance.

----

Anyway, you're not biased, you just don't like shovelware, crap, branded crap, or traditional RPG's.

Michael-5 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Michael-5 said:

If you like Ni No Kuni, you might like Dragon Quest VIII or IX, but they do take about an hour or so to get into. I didn't like the first 20 minutes or so of DQVIII, but after 40 minutes, it was really addictive. My advice is to start with VIII or IX though, and see if it's for you.

I feel the same about Sticker Star, they took out a lot of RPG components, and really simplified gameplay, so it kinda threw me off. Have you played Super Mario RPG? It's a bit old, but it has the same comedy as Paper Mario, and at the same time plays much more like a traditional RPG. I played SMRPG first, and was a bit disappointed in Paper Mario because it's less RPG, and more Puzzle game, but both are still very similar.

If you don't like SMRPG, you'll never like Final Fantasy, but it's a good game to try to really give Square Enix a chance.

----

Anyway, you're not biased, you just don't like shovelware, crap, branded crap, or traditional RPG's.

I have always thought about getting the Super Mario RPG games but never did for some reason.  Are you talking about Mario & Luigi saga?  Or are you talking about the old Mario rpg for snes....I believe it was for SNES anyways.

I'll probably pick up the new Mario & Luigi game for the 3DS when it comes out though.