By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS4 outsell the XBox One and WiiU?

snowdog said:
The entire power draw at the moment is on average 33W. Again, this is with games that aren't pushing the hardware. I didn't for a second suggest that this power draw was all reserved for the GPU. And those components you've mentioned aren't going to drawtthat much power. The CPU, GPU and USB devices will draw the most.

I just don't understand why anyone would still be speculating about what kind of graphics the Wii U can do. It's been out for a while now, and even though games improve during the lifecycle, the current games should give you an idea of the power. Just look at an exclusive like Zombi U, which actually looks worse then most current gen games. Now I know you will say that was just a launch game but even launch titles should show a leap in visuals on a next gen console. Unless, off course, it's not really a next gen console. Infamous SS, Killzone SF and Driveclub are also just launch titles but all of them take a giant dump on anything we seen before. So yes I am sure we will see better looking games on Wii U once developers get more comfortable with the hardware, but same thing applies to the ps4 titles we seen so far.

My point is that there really is no mystery about the Wii U hardware. What you see is what you get and it's arguably a slight upgrade from ps3/ 360. it would be downright silly to expect an increase in Wii U sales based on it's "hidden" processing power and Nintendo has a zero % chance of luring in an audience that are now waiting for next gen graphics. The good thing for Nintendo is that their most populair franchises really don't need high-end graphics, they just need good gameplay and art direction. 

Around the Network

We know absolutely NOTHING about the Wii U hardware mate, particularly the GPU and RAM setup. There's over a third of the silicon on the GPU that's a complete mystery. You've also got to remember that Nintendo were very late getting tools to developers - November last year - and that at one point a third of the CPU, one core, wasn't accessible to developers.

As for ZombiU looking worse than previous gen games, that's incorrect in terms of its depth of field and lighting and shadows. And there are plenty of launch/launch window titles that aren't better looking than the previous gen's titles. The 360 was severely castigated for it in 2005.

You've also got to consider the track record of the platform holders, I've got more confidence that Nintendo's AAA developers will improve on the impressive visuals shown in the Zelda and Japanese Garden tech demos than Sony's AAA developers will even match the visuals shown in the PS4 reveal demos. Remember Killzone 2..?

goopy20 said:
snowdog said:
The entire power draw at the moment is on average 33W. Again, this is with games that aren't pushing the hardware. I didn't for a second suggest that this power draw was all reserved for the GPU. And those components you've mentioned aren't going to drawtthat much power. The CPU, GPU and USB devices will draw the most.

I just don't understand why anyone would still be speculating about what kind of graphics the Wii U can do. It's been out for a while now, and even though games improve during the lifecycle, the current games should give you an idea of the power. Just look at an exclusive like Zombi U, which actually looks worse then most current gen games. Now I know you will say that was just a launch game but even launch titles should show a leap in visuals on a next gen console. Unless, off course, it's not really a next gen console. Infamous SS, Killzone SF and Driveclub are also just launch titles but all of them take a giant dump on anything we seen before. So yes I am sure we will see better looking games on Wii U once developers get more comfortable with the hardware, but same thing applies to the ps4 titles we seen so far.

My point is that there really is no mystery about the Wii U hardware. What you see is what you get and it's arguably a slight upgrade from ps3/ 360. it would be downright silly to expect an increase in Wii U sales based on it's "hidden" processing power and Nintendo has a zero % chance of luring in an audience that are now waiting for next gen graphics. The good thing for Nintendo is that their most populair franchises really don't need high-end graphics, they just need good gameplay and art direction. 

just like the x360 first games? and nintendo land, even though is not a graphic intensive game, shows no graphical flaws: it has great lightning and shadows, AA, 3d modeling, it's already superior to what ps360 can do. I'll say it again, stop whining and wait for E3, it's less than two weeks away, how hard can it be to wait?

Obviously.

Zero999 said:
goopy20 said:
snowdog said:

just like the x360 first games? and nintendo land, even though is not a graphic intensive game, shows no graphical flaws: it has great lightning and shadows, AA, 3d modeling, it's already superior to what ps360 can do. I'll say it again, stop whining and wait for E3, it's less than two weeks away, how hard can it be to wait.

Come on now guys, can you honestly say Nintendo Land or Zombi U show a next gen leap over something like Uncharted? Like I said, the Wii U doesn't need 1,87 TFlops to run the cartoony graphics we see in their big selling franchises like Nintendo Land or any MArio title.

Also, why do you think Nintendo isn't even doing a presentation at E3? They are doing a small scale, behind closed doors event for US distributors while they leave the public stage to MS and Sony to show of their next gen fancy pansy graphics.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
both together?
I do not think so. Remember, the 360 is big in the west. It will get 80-110 million again.

Wat r u talkin bout? do you understand engrish?

goopy20 said:
Zero999 said:
goopy20 said:
snowdog said:

just like the x360 first games? and nintendo land, even though is not a graphic intensive game, shows no graphical flaws: it has great lightning and shadows, AA, 3d modeling, it's already superior to what ps360 can do. I'll say it again, stop whining and wait for E3, it's less than two weeks away, how hard can it be to wait.

Come on now guys, can you honestly say Nintendo Land or Zombi U show a next gen leap over something like Uncharted? Like I said, the Wii U doesn't need 1,87 TFlops to run the cartoony graphics we see in their big selling franchises like Nintendo Land or any MArio title.

Also, why do you think Nintendo isn't even doing a presentation at E3? They are doing a small scale, behind closed doors event for US distributors while they leave the public stage to MS and Sony to show of their next gen fancy pansy graphics.

yes, the amazing number of games nintendo will show before, during and after E3 as well as letting people play those games at best buy stores shows how much they can't compete. seriously, your past trollings were better than that.

Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
snowdog said:
goopy20 said:
snowdog said:
And it should also be pointed out that you shouldn't judge a console on specs alone, a few developers have noted that the GPU 'punches above its weight'. It wouldn't surprise me if the CPU and RAM performance is the same.

And even if their performance reflects the specs it still isn't going to have any problems handling down-ports from the PS4 and One.

The gpu does punch above it's weight but only compared to current gen consoles. People did actually figure out what is in the Wii U and it has about 1,5 the raw computing power of the 360's GPU, and off course twice the memory. Not bad by today's standards but a far cry from a true next machine like the ps4.

the final GPU is indeed a close match to the 4650/4670, albeit with a deficit in the number of texture-mapping units and a lower clock speed - 550MHz. AMD's RV770 hardware is well documented so with these numbers we can now, categorically, finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U - the GCN hardware in Durango and Orbis is in a completely different league. However, the 16 TMUs at 550MHz and texture cache improvements found in RV770 do elevate the capabilities of this hardware beyond the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 - 1.5 times the raw shader power sounds about right. [Update: It's generally accepted that the PS3 graphics core is less capable than Xenos, so Wii U's GPU would be even more capable.] 1080p resolution is around 2.5x that of 720p, so bearing in mind the inclusion of just eight ROPs, it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing any complex 3D titles running at 1080p.

We are talking about a 600% difference just from the gpu and I am not even going to begin about the 8 core CPU and 7 gigs of GDDR5. All I know is that if developers can't show a big leap i n graphics between both platforms, then they are doing a piss poor job.

Latte bears no resemblance whatsoever to an RV770, we have no idea of the ROPs (although 8 is most likely), TMUs, ALUs, Compute Units. None of it. You really need to take a look at the Latte thread on Gaf. I'm beginning to subscribe to the theory that Latte has dual graphics engines. It fits with the unknown parts of the GPU pretty much.

In terms of raw power it should be between the previous gen and this gen, and won't have much of a problem running down-ports, as I've previously said.

I am sorry to burst your bubble there but that's impossible. There is one know fact about the Wii-U hardware, it only uses a little over 30W even in games. That alone proves there is no way that the Wii-U can ever be close to a PS4/ Xbox One in power, let alone sport dual graphics engines.

More importantly both PS4 and Xbox One have an APU design with cpu and gpu on the same chip. This allows developers to share heavy computing tasks between cpu and gpu, something Wii-U can not do. The APU design alone already puts PS4 and Xbox One in a different generation speed wise.

hey genius, didn't you see the video where iwata shows the wii u interior? the gpu and cpu are "fused" on the same chip too.

Hey ''genius'' why don't look something for a change before blabbering nonsense, it's right there under the link that i posted:

Does that look like one chip to you?

snowdog said:

Games pushing hardware means you optimize the software to be more efficient. It's not going to increase the power draw.

As an example in the graph i showed you the Xbox 360 slim uses 76.5W in game but it is coupled with a 135W power supply.

PS4: 100+ million
XBox One: 70 million
Wii U: 36 million

Are my guesses as of now. The overall console industry will shrink this generation. Or perhaps normalize is the right word. Last generation saw a large influx of casuals who I don't think are coming back.

Cynical business moves have been made by Microsoft before the XBox One has even launched: no second hand games policy, limiting choice for consumers, mandatory online checks once a day on your console and mandatory checks once an hour on a friends console. Microsoft is so desperate for sales it is even paying developers not to show and promote PS4 games. Microsoft knows it will finish last place in the console wars once again. Microsoft dirty tricks will not help its decline in sales.

History has shown the third console system has had a huge downturn in sale upon the second console system. Microsoft looks like following that trend with XBox One, following the path of the Saturn, Nintendo 64 and Playstation 3 all being down on the sales of the second console system.  I would be surprised if the XBox One sold more than 60 million console sales ltd. PS4 and Wii U have a lot more to offer gamers in the 8th generation.