By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death of PSP games sales (Other charts we 26 Jan 2008)

OK just got back from town. Whilst there I popped into game and asked about PSP game sales. The bloke I asked said he couldn't remember selling a single game so far this year.
We then asked the manager, he thought he'd only sold about 20 so far this year.
Scary.
I wonder how long retail will continue to support the platform

'You should try everything once in your life except incest, homosexuality and morris dancing' - Oscar Wylde (sort of)

Around the Network

well like ioi pointed out this is only the top 100 so i think it will be higher but still it isnt to good and sony should do somthing about it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ah, cheers for clearing that up then ioi.
Still not good then but no where near as bad as I thought

'You should try everything once in your life except incest, homosexuality and morris dancing' - Oscar Wylde (sort of)

I have a PSP and nearly 50 games ... ok , I know its just me , but in the same time Im sure that games are way undertracked for the PSP . Bealive me or not , I dont care , but untill I see 3rd party support on it , I dont bealive this doom predictions ....

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

People are too busy playing their PSP emulators to play actual PSP games, they love that Super Mario World on their Sony system.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

"It's clear that, in general, games on PSP are not doing well."

I don't know next year there will be some successful games. There are a good number of million sellers for the system (third-party a similar number to the DS, which excells in Nintendo games)

If they make a profit with each sold PSP it doesn't matter much. I almost bought one for media playback although I hate mobile gaming.

The problem with selling it as a media player is their profit margins on hardware are very low compared to the iPod. The PSP is priced to be a game machine, so it NEEDS software sales to achieve good profits. Just making small hardware and software profits for all the billions they've spent on R&D and marketing would be a failure.

It's hard to sell when there's almost no software.

lolita said:
It's hard to sell when there's almost no software.

Is this never going to stop, personally I bought 3 PSP over christmas, Pursuit Force, WipeOut, Syphon Filter, all excellent

The fact the WipeOut Pulse has no sales is just wrong, I appriechiate that its sales will not be great, but it has still sold some copies. Same with syphon filter

Sales are so low for piracy... it is so goddam easy to pirate a game for the psp (with all the homebrew stuff) and even if the system is selling really well piracy is killing the software... anyways I have 18 games for my psp (on my collection i have 17 because Puzzle Quest is not selectable for psp) and this year there are many games I want to buy for it...