By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Death of PSP games sales (Other charts we 26 Jan 2008)

The problem with PSP games is that they advertised them as, play PS2 games on the go... and that's the problem why would I buy virtuatennis for the PSP when I can play it on the big telly.

But whenever they created a game specifically thinking on the PSP, it ended up being really good (LocoRoco)

In my opinion, if they want to sell more PSP games, they should create original PSP games completely different from the ones that you could play on your telly.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/YUK04.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0"

Around the Network

@ Reasonable

I agree with you. PSP games are often indistinguishable from PS2 games, which undermines the success of the handheld format. Indeed, most PSP exclusives end up on PS2 anyway, and I suspect that a great many PSP owners already own a PS2.

In contrast, the DS and the Wii offer exclusives titles that can only be experienced on their respective formats as a consequence of their unique controls. This is a significant advantage that Nintendo have over the opposition. Even the HD consoles are too much alike and clearly, this is the reason why many opt for either a Wii360 or PSWii combo as opposed to a PS360 combo.

My geuss is that the PSP will end up as a cool remote player accesory in the not so distant future.

I see that as the main feature that will sell it. To be able to play your PS3 games on the PSP on a from a long range will definitely sway alot of potential buyers.

Japan is a special scenario though, Monster Hunter will sell the product unless Capcom drops a reason to continue working for it.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Why buy software? You can download homebrew and play any game you want on it for free.

(See my point?)

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I have a PSP and 7 games

Smackdown Vs Raw 2006
MGS:PO
Worms Open Warfare
GTA:LCS
Juiced
Some crappy football game that came with the psp (can't remember name)
Can't remember final game

I would have a lot more games, but £30/$60 just seems too much for a handheld game. If games were £20/$40, i would buy a lot more games.

Games that I will get on PSP, that i don't have yet.

GTA:VCS
Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Crush

It would be nice to see some games from PS2 get a direct port soon
Eg FFX and FFXII (they would sell a lot).

Around the Network

software sales are abysmal, i think its being bought more as a media machine tbh.

I have 8 PSP games atm, I'm gonna buy Patapon next month and GOW in march.
I'm gonna buy Crisis Core when it releases this spring and maybe Star Ocean as well. Next year i'll buy Kingdom Hearts.
I would have bought Jeanne D'Arc, but unfortunately it won't be getting a EU release :(

@ Zuhyc: With those 13 games you've filled the European requirement for 7745.53 PSP's to be sold

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I own a PSP and I have 20 games for it:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops PLUS

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel 

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

Syphon Filter: Logan´s Shadow

Killzone: Liberation

WARHAMMER 40,000: Squad Command

Final Fantasy tactics: The War of the Lions 

Silent Hill Origins 

Locoroco

Lumines 

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Jeanne D´Arc

Pursuit Force

Daxter

Ratchet & Clank: Size matters

Guilty Gear XX: Judgement

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 2

The last game I bought was WARHAMMER 40,000: Squad Command, last month. I will be buying soon God of War: Chains of Olympus, Crisis Core and Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice

I've just worked out the following - rather worrying if you're a developer - percentages for my current PSP use (last month or so):

38% - Internet Radio - why am I addicted to this?
26% - Music
20% - Games
10% - Watch movies
6% - RSS feeds & surf news

I'd say until the Radio I used PSP for games around 40% of time. I don't know how this compares to DS, but I tend to play one game at a time and it takes me a while to finish... while my kids on DS hop back and forth between games. They also use their DSs on the move, in the house, etc. whereas I tend to play games while travelling but just listen to music in the house.

Look at Monster Hunter though - clearly if you get the right game it can sell well on the platform.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...