By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not holding traditional E3 press conference this year?

It's painful watching this company exist lol. It's so obvious they can't compete, they can't advertise, and they can't even plan a strategic reveal to counter their opposition. Reminds me of the Toshiba HD-DVD press conference being canceled last minute, right before they officially halted all production of HD-DVD drives.

Nintendo's stock has fallen lower than Sony's at this point. This news is negative, just like the stream of negativity surrounding everything nintendo does. The only way nintendo is going to make any real profit at this point is by going software only. Best business decision they will ever make. I'll give them 10yrs until they finally realize they're wasting their time in hardware.

It really has become the "Big 2." Sony & Microsoft.

Around the Network
MaxwellAllen said:
It's painful watching this company exist lol. It's so obvious they can't compete, they can't advertise, and they can't even plan a strategic reveal to counter their opposition. Reminds me of the Toshiba HD-DVD press conference being canceled last minute, right before they officially halted all production of HD-DVD drives.

Nintendo's stock has fallen lower than Sony's at this point. This news is negative, just like the stream of negativity surrounding everything nintendo does. The only way nintendo is going to make any real profit at this point is by going software only. Best business decision they will ever make. I'll give them 10yrs until they finally realize they're wasting their time in hardware.

While Nintendo is clueless about marketing/presentation/image, they've made more money than Sony in the game business every year since Sony entered the business except for like once I believe (1997). Some one had that chart, it was pretty crazy, neither Sony or MS really make all that much money from the game business.

Soundwave said:
MaxwellAllen said:

While Nintendo is clueless about marketing/presentation/image, they've made more money than Sony in the game business every year since Sony entered the business except for like once I believe (1997). Some one had that chart, it was pretty crazy, neither Sony or MS really make all that much money from the game business.

Apparently, you weren't around when Sony dominated with the PS1 and PS2? Sony made more money than them for several years in the gaming business. Gameboy and Pokemon sales still weren't even close to have Nintendo make more money during Sony's period of dominating the industry.

MaxwellAllen said:

It's painful reading this post exist.

Maybe you could elaborate on why Nintendo can't compete, can't advertise, can't make smart strategic decisions?

And maybe you could offer some empirical evidence that demonstrates convincingly that all Nintendo news is negative?

And also maybe you could provide an explanation why you think a software-only approach would earn Nintendo a "real profit"?

I eagerly await your response.

Horrorfest said:
Soundwave said:
MaxwellAllen said:

Apparently, you weren't around when Sony dominated with the PS1 and PS2? Sony made more money than them for several years in the gaming business. Gameboy and Pokemon sales still weren't even close to have Nintendo make more money during Sony's period of dominating the industry.

I think you should have a look at this:

It comes very apparent whom makes the Big bucks in vigeo games... And it ain't Sony.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Horrorfest said:
Soundwave said:
MaxwellAllen said:

This is actually not true. Even in the 90s, Nintendo made more money than Sony's game division basically every year, though for some years it was close.

I was surprised myself, the chart's been posted on these forums I'll try and find it.

EDIT: It's right here ...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006&page=12#1

Sony made more than Nintendo for only two years ... 1997 and 2003, and it was pretty close both of those years.

Looking at that chart, really neither Sony or MS have much to show (profit wise) for their time in the game business, lol.

I generally think this could be better for Nintendo, really.

As has been said the level of competancy in the Directs far outweighs that of the E3 conferences. 2 or 3 NDs gives them more time to show stuff and gives them the chance to appeal to different crowds at different times. Not interested in 3DS? Dont watch the 3DS E3 Direct.

The fact that theyre still actually going to be at E3 shows that they are still taking it somewhat seriously. There are still gonna be new games on show. Dont worry over it.

Bunch of clueless morons in this thread as expected.

Who wasn't expecting this? E3 is becoming less and less relevant. The whole once a year reveals with awkward and boring fillers in this day and age isn't cutting it.

You people are foolish if you expected these companies to just keep doing it the way it's always been done forever. It was expected that someone would step out and do something different and I'm not surprised it's Nintendo.

All you people spewing a bunch of negativity (no surprises from ethomaz or S.T.A.G.E OFC), I want to see what you'll have to say when Sony and MS do something similar.

Mini events with info aimed at specific audiences sounds like a pretty good idea to me, now I'll just wait to see how well they can execute it.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Horrorfest said:
Soundwave said:
MaxwellAllen said:

Soundwave said:
Horrorfest said:
Soundwave said:
MaxwellAllen said:

This is actually not true. Even in the 90s, Nintendo made more money than Sony's game division basically every year, though for some years it was close.

I was surprised myself, the chart's been posted on these forums I'll try and find it.

EDIT: It's right here ...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006&page=12#1

Sony made more than Nintendo for only two years ... 1997 and 2003, and it was pretty close both of those years.

Looking at that chart, really neither Sony or MS have much to show (profit wise) for their time in the game business, lol.

That's a great chart! And not because Nintendo is totally d00minating, but it's actually very informative

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.