By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not holding traditional E3 press conference this year?

Remember the small 3DS conference last year? Could be that they plan on doing a couple of those instead, and if that's the case I won't complain as the 3DS show pretty much punched the main one into the face of the sun.

Around the Network

I've been a Nintendo fan since 1989 when I first played Super Mario bros and Dragon Quest. I'm also a Christian and I attempt not to swear (although it does seem to get the best of me at times). With that said, (1) This is absolutely a fucking ridiculous move on Nintendo's behalf and (2) It's time Iwata is given his walking papers (imo).

P.S I'm probabaly overreacting but still, for  Nintendo fans, E3 presentations are still a big deal and this just seems absurd.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

MaxwellAllen said:
It's painful watching this company exist lol. It's so obvious they can't compete, they can't advertise, and they can't even plan a strategic reveal to counter their opposition. Reminds me of the Toshiba HD-DVD press conference being canceled last minute, right before they officially halted all production of HD-DVD drives.

Nintendo's stock has fallen lower than Sony's at this point. This news is negative, just like the stream of negativity surrounding everything nintendo does. The only way nintendo is going to make any real profit at this point is by going software only. Best business decision they will ever make. I'll give them 10yrs until they finally realize they're wasting their time in hardware.

It really has become the "Big 2." Sony & Microsoft.

It is as well painful reading your post. possibly Nintendo will go softwar eonly at some point bu trust that (in my opinion) will be only because there is no other future in gaming industry. If Ninty goes teh big 2 will not even been ther eanymore. (In my opinion.)

Switch!!!

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

But isn't that weird though? How is it even possible to make a bad e3? It should be soooo easy to do a good one! Just take a que from 2004 and the revelation of Zelda TP... Just try to aim for that kind of thing.

So what else do you remember from E3 2004? Most likely absolutely nothing. What effect did Nintendo's presentation have on GameCube sales? Pretty much none as the console continued its slide into irrelevance. Which raises the questions what constitutes a good E3 and if 2004 was a good one like you said.

I agree!

Switch!!!

Am I the only one who thinks Nintendo could be on to something, think about it, if Nintendo did do it the old fashion way, none of the non-core gamer audience wouldn't watch E3 either. The only way themass public would know about these E3 announcements is if some media channels share the news like MSN or Today news etc. This is why Xbox E3 keynotes been lacking for the pass few years, because their talking to an audience (casual) who doesn't care about E3.

Nintendo Direct get way more attentions and the best part are that its fully under Nintendo control. Sony have their event back in Feb. which got them alot of buzz and now Microsoft with the next Xbox announcement coming May 21th. knowing how crowded and big E3 is, why not have full control of a event that give plenty of views.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

i would love Nintendo to ditch e3, which has become pointless for the 90% of the gamers

don't see the big deal...have enjoyed their nintendo directs much more than any e3 conference from recent memory.
I don't think e3 is as big a deal as it once was in this day and age.

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

I haven't seen the whole 2004 actually, and I only said they should "take a que from 2004 and the revelation of Zelda TP"; meaning that they should always drop some sort of megaton for fans to enjoy. Surprise us in a good way.

This is actually not such a bad idea: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/24/how-we-want-to-remember-nintendos-last-e3 It would have made a much better presentation.

Day 1 DLC? Day 1 DLC?!

Anyway, you don't need E3 to announce games. I get the feeling that you and others view E3 as a chance for Nintendo to show that they can compete with the big boys.

My god, you're really just cerry picking about the DLC... What about everything else? Sure, there was some wishful thinking in there (SSB4 namely), but as a whole that is a much better conference than the actual one Nintendo had. And there has been studies about DLC's indicating that the sooner a DLC comes more people will get it. If it comes out like s few weeks after the games release a lot less are gonna get it...

I'm actually not comparing companies; you can compare e3 to going to the movies to watching a film at home, or going to a concert to simply playing an album at home.... It's just not the same. You don't get to share it with anyone

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
I posted this another forum, but i`ll post it here aswell.

I can`t believe Nintendo did this.
If their fan presentation of the games and other news is another ND, they just made another big mistake.
As much as i like NDs, they can´t begin to compare to E3. The best way to describe is, to me, like going to see a movie. You are there with everyone, watching it with everyone and all laughing. And now, you will be watching it at home, alone.

E3 was a once in a year event that no matter how bad it went, it was always fun to watch and hear people`s reactions - even Nintendo`s executives reactions. Now all that`s gone.

Exactly! I was planning to watch all the major events with my bro on the TV, but it looks like we'll only watch MS and Sony now...

Of all the years to make such a decision, they had to pick the one where their home console is going through the toughest time and where MS and Sony are going to show their new consoles... awesome.

*laughs into hand*