By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not holding traditional E3 press conference this year?

it sounds like nintendo is rolling over and playing dead at e3. either that or they really have nothing to show that we already dont know about and its not worth the money for e3 for 5 or so nintendo games.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nintendo Directs are not helping....at all. They need to go big with the press conferences.

They are helping. The January ND for Wii U showing Monolith Soft's X did a great job of generating much needed excitement. This past 3DS one did the same for that system with games like Yoshi's Island, Link to the Past 2, and Bravely Default.

They are helping Nintendo core but not much else which isnt very much. If you can show me at  Direct conference with over 400,000 hits on Youtube it would be appreciated.

A Nintendo Direct attracts 1 million viewers. The record, in October at least (probably continued to grow even), is for the Animal Crossing Direct with over 1.1m viewers. These things are wildly successful. YouTube is not the main distribution channel.

This makes me believe they will have a decent sized Direct a few daya before e3 where they show some footage and announce new games, then e3 is all about playable games

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Carl2291 said:
zorg1000 said:
Otakumegane said:
Well then the casuals aren't going to know anything.

Do casuals pay attention to e3?

Yes, because the worlds gaming media go to E3. The "casuals" hear about everything at E3 from this media.

Honestly I think 'casuals' only pay attention to tv-advertisements. They don't read the 'gaming' section in magazines or the newspaper.

DanneSandin said:
I think the major issue is that all events will be behind CLOSED DOORS. That's so stupid. I like watching e3, but that's one joy Nintendo will take from me.

I'm sure they'll have a nintendo direct before e3 starts where they reveal most of the games. But still it won't be the same level of excitement...

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Carl2291 said:
zorg1000 said:
Otakumegane said:
Well then the casuals aren't going to know anything.

Do casuals pay attention to e3?

Yes, because the worlds gaming media go to E3. The "casuals" hear about everything at E3 from this media.

Honestly I think 'casuals' only pay attention to tv-advertisements. They don't read the 'gaming' section in magazines or the newspaper.

They do. Reviews/previews sections are quite popular, and if the news is big enough it will get an advert on the front page. Theyre usually bundled in with movies or music, but E3 tends to get a fairly decent push.

I remember Wonderbook being quite big with British media last year.

Also, radio.

So they´re going to make several smaller conferences instead of just one big conference.

That´s fine. What´s the big deal about it ? Just because they changed they way they´re showing their products to the media doesn´t mean anything but that.

People assume too much over small things.

teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
I think the major issue is that all events will be behind CLOSED DOORS. That's so stupid. I like watching e3, but that's one joy Nintendo will take from me.

I'm sure they'll have a nintendo direct before e3 starts where they reveal most of the games. But still it won't be the same level of excitement...

Exactly; one of the reason why I watch is to share it with so many others at the same time...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Considering the huge audiences Nintendo Directs are getting, probably they´re doing that because they want to focus more on the consumer and less on the media, who is always screwing them.

After the initial disappointment, there are some things that give me some hope.

1-If we look back at Nintendo's E3 from last year, their conference was bad, but the Nintendo Direct that they had 2 days earlier (the one with Iwata and his bananas) was very good. If his words mean that instead of a live conference we'll get a 1h long, recorded, well edited, Nintendo Direct all about WiiU games then bring it on!

2-Iwata mentions "We will use the timing of E3 to focus on providing details about our Wii U titles for release this year" so it will be moslty about WiiU, WiiU games. The 3DS is big enough to grab attention by itself.

3-He also mentions that it won't be directed towards the whole world but focused for Americans. They also have their usual show pre-TGS to focus on Japan, so that means that... Maybe they'll have a show in this years GDC in Europe! And that will be great for us, europeans.

4-“will attempt to use this year’s E3 to make announcements in a new way that we have not tried before.” I wonder if that means that instead of Ubisoft (to name one) being on Nintendo's E3 conference, Nintendo will be at Ubi's conference to talk about an exclusive or something like that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.