By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next-generation Xbox to possibly be called Xbox Infinite

Would make cross marketing with Windows 8 that much easier. I never liked these console names but I always get used to them. Xbox 720 still sounds better IMO.

Around the Network

not bad. but not great either. I would like the name to link it to windows 8 in some way. I think one of the best things about windows 8 and the next box is that its all converging and becoming intertwined.

thranx said:
not bad. but not great either. I would like the name to link it to windows 8 in some way. I think one of the best things about windows 8 and the next box is that its all converging and becoming intertwined.

It does link the names doesn't it? I thought the purpose of the infinite symbol was a 8 turned 90 degrees, tipped on it's side. It's probably more for the "core" fans to understand and a catchy phrase for the others more than anything.

ironmanDX said:
thranx said:

It does link the names doesn't it? I thought the purpose of the infinite symbol was a 8 turned 90 degrees, tipped on it's side. It's probably more for the "core" fans to understand and a catchy phrase for the others more than anything.

not an obvious enough link for the average consumer. while an infity sign does look like an 8 on its side its not an 8. If it is called infinity i would think its more along the lines of the ps3 slogan it only does everything. xbox infinity-infinite options-gaming, music, movies, tv etc. I could be wrong but thats the way i see it.

it looks stupid , both the logo and the font used. Also the name infinite would be a bad name, as it would render the xbox after it useless. They are better off keeping the word shorter or sound more exciting.

Around the Network

I don't like Infinity for the the same reason I don't like a U after the Wii. It doesn't represent succesion as easily as a number does. And things only get worse if you add an adjective after the name (Xbox Infinite). Not to mention the whole Xfinity deal makes it sound like a Comcast service/bundle (in the US of course).

Now if they were to move from the xbox name and simply call it The Infinity Box, then that would be ok. But as of right now, I still prefer Xbox 8.

(8th generation of gaming, powered with Windows 8, 8 "greater" than 360 and 720, twice greater than 4, see PS4)

thranx said:

Corvengence is a good thing, but why stick the name to Win 8, making it look obsolete when Win 9 and 10 come out? Win 8 is already out, and its successor will be most probably released in less time than the normal console renewal cycle, so XB720 could see during the main part of its life, before its successor release, not only Win 8 and 9, but also Win 10. The only purpose of an explicit 8 suggestion in the name could be for helping Win 8 to overcome its current troubles, but helping it this way would damage XB720 later.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

could be called XBOX INFINITY But using the infinity sign -----> ∞ ie, also being based on windows 8

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

JayWood2010 said:
I like Xbox 8 better but I could live with Infinity

XBox 8 just doesn't make any sense. I know that 360 doesn't either if you think about it. But calling it XBox 8 would imply (in the minds of the commoners) that it's the 8th XBox console...

I know, they'd explain it as the console being called that because of Windows 8 being a part of it. But I think if they go with that infinite symbol instead, it's a play on Win8, and an actual progression to the 360 name.

8th Gen Console. Xbox 8 - for the 8th gen. As well as the windows 8 branding.

As said though - would look old hat when Windows 9 comes out in a year or two - bam - firmware update, rebrand the SKU's - maybe throw in a hardware upgrade on the new model/upgrade attachment for the old models - and expand your hardware every 2 years or so.

Sounds a little out there though!

I agree though that Infinity sends a clearer message to the consumer. And we'll be seeing many little gifs of a WIndows 8 logo morphing into an Xbox Infinity logo - flipping the 8, and crossing the w's into x's. That'd be cool!