By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Major Issue that Needs to be Addressed by Moderators

There are far worse things on the Internet, although I think he shouldn't have made such a post unless it was someone with whom he bantered before, approaching a new poster who can take insult in such manner is a bit inconsiderate. I think it's nothing bad really, and the stuff we see on this forum is nowhere as toxic as some other places, someone on the league told me my mother should die of cancer and my dads contraception failed, do I go on to make a post about how toxic the lol community is on their forums? No, I just brush it off as an extreme case of retardation, i think you should too, especially with so many people on here doing one post hit and run jokes.

Also to others wtf for having a mod just because it's a she? And that's not sexist at all? It should be an established member of the community and sex shouldn't be relevant in the slightest.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Was that the best example of sexism you could find, OP? If so, then I feel you're really over-sensitive because all sexist jokes aren't automatically offensive. That joke by Galaki clearly didn't make any ridicule of you as a thread maker. It was just an innocent joke.

One could argue though that his post somewhat contributed to diminish the weight and impact of your topic to a little degree, but that's got nothing to with the sexist nature of the joke, but it's a problem with all off-topic posts posted early in a thread. It irritates me a lot when I make a thread, putting lots of time and energy creating it and the first few posts are short one-liners that aren't specifically addressing anything I wrote. I would guess others feel the same. But that's an entirely different issue than sexism and other forms of discrimination, and it also can't be avoided as it's not a formal breaking of rules.

Also, there's such a thing as proportions. If this site actually was flooded by sexist jokes (it isn't), even just innocent ones, then it would/could be an issue, but something up to the moderator's general judgement on how to handle.

JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:
Alright, I'm going to be direct here.

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

I thought that was one of the main reasons to have moderators in the first place. Isn't that an essential part of " maintaining a certain level of discourse"? Yes, what is and isn't offensive is a matter of subjectivity. With that in mind it seems contradictive to state "we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.".

In all honesty, I smiled a little when I read that joke. Does it make me misogynistic? Maybe so. However, after Marucha pointed out that she, as a woman, was offended by it, I would be wise to seriously consider if it was appropriate or not.

Basically, guys, you like girls, right? They're cool, clever and pretty. Why not make them feel comfortable here? It doesn't mean we should "bend backwards" to satisfy them, just go easy with the sexual slurs, ok?

Is anyone really asking the mods to bend over backwards? I think the OP is saying that when a post is reported that clearly breaks a rule that the rule should be enforced. I think she is saying that she is tired of rule breakers going unmoderated.

But is it clearly breaking a rule? Galaki didn't really insult anything, even if people were offended by his comment.

The rule states that insults on a person's sex are not allowed. That's pretty cut and dry to me.

I don't understand why being offensive is more important that respect for others. When someone is offended the offending party should apologize for a misunderstanding. If they don't that it was an intentional offense.

I'm also tired of the 1st Amendment being used as some kind of "I get to be as big a jerk as I want and there's nothing you can do about it" right. That's not the reason for the 1st Amendment and it's certainly not in the spirit of community either. Getting to say what you believe is different than getting to be as offensive as you want and the right to do something doesn't make it right to do.

kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

I thought that was one of the main reasons to have moderators in the first place. Isn't that an essential part of " maintaining a certain level of discourse"? Yes, what is and isn't offensive is a matter of subjectivity. With that in mind it seems contradictive to state "we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.".

In all honesty, I smiled a little when I read that joke. Does it make me misogynistic? Maybe so. However, after Marucha pointed out that she, as a woman, was offended by it, I would be wise to seriously consider if it was appropriate or not.

Basically, guys, you like girls, right? They're cool, clever and pretty. Why not make them feel comfortable here? It doesn't mean we should "bend backwards" to satisfy them, just go easy with the sexual slurs, ok?

Is anyone really asking the mods to bend over backwards? I think the OP is saying that when a post is reported that clearly breaks a rule that the rule should be enforced. I think she is saying that she is tired of rule breakers going unmoderated.

But is it clearly breaking a rule? Galaki didn't really insult anything, even if people were offended by his comment.

The rule states that insults on a person's sex are not allowed. That's pretty cut and dry to me.

I don't understand why being offensive is more important that respect for others. When someone is offended the offending party should apologize for a misunderstanding. If they don't that it was an intentional offense.

I'm also tired of the 1st Amendment being used as some kind of "I get to be as big a jerk as I want and there's nothing you can do about it" right. That's not the reason for the 1st Amendment and it's certainly not in the spirit of community either. Getting to say what you believe is different than getting to be as offensive as you want and the right to do something doesn't make it right to do.

How in the world could that be an insult on a person's sex? He said "I was wondering why your PMS making SQL error." Saying "women suck at driving" is an insult, this isn't.

JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:

How in the world could that be an insult on a person's sex? He said "I was wondering why your PMS making SQL error." Saying "women suck at driving" is an insult, this isn't.

Ask a woman why reducing their feelings to a PMS episode is demeaning.

I don't even get the joke, but that's not the point. The OP doesn't even consider this case the worst offender, it just is the last straw for her.

Around the Network
Bruxel said:
Barbarossa said:
Serious_frusting said:
I really dont see an issue with that post.

Over-sensitive is over-sensitive.

Easy to say if you're not the target of the joke.

well, the majority of jokes i see here is gay/homo jokes. I think the joking and the kidding around is just apart of the way of every internet forum and we just have to live with it, no one will fully stricly follow the rules. Harmless joke is not that big of a deal, direct personal attacks are not okay though.

i think its over sensitive too.

That is the point though. Jokes are fine as long as they aren't offensive. I don't get offended on this site unless people insult my religion,but It is not something we should have to deal with.

I have to admit that I posted a pretty raunchy post about a female member on this site. I was joking but I could see how I crossed the line. I believe jaywood called me out on it. Anyways the "joke" would have been more bearable if everyone knew of my Asian fetish and that I have an Asian girlfriend. At least I didn't tell anyone about the secret girl thread on VGC. Oops... Tempted to tell period joke...

kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:

Ask a woman why reducing their feelings to a PMS episode is demeaning.

I don't even get the joke, but that's not the point. The OP doesn't even consider this case the worst offender, it just is the last straw for her.

That's your problem, you don't get the joke. He didn't reduce her feelings to PMS. The joke was about her PMS having a sending error which was just a stupid play on words.

It's too bad that happens.

In all honestly I never really think that much about someone's gender on here. I know guys have girl avatars and visa-versa. It is the personalty that makes them interesting.

I know sometime people are just jerks, and sometime they really don't know any better.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

KHlover said:

If something happens (aka 1-day ban) I'll blame you XD. One user for sure would would be Rol. Some of his threads are clearly sarcastic, some of them are so close to flamebaiting that any user besides Rol would be immediately banned for them. NinjaBlade is a newcomer, but I really can't understand why he hasn't been permabanned at this point. I've seen Ethomaz turn perfectly normal threads into trainwrecks (Most recent example: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159027&page=1#). KylieDog, S.T.A.G.E and VGKing most of the time seem to respond to posts in a way that's guaranteed to invoke a negative reaction, aka borderline flamebaiting (KylieDog must be the most depressive person I've never met in person)...out of my head these seem to be the most blatant "offenders"...

I think the FFXIII thread ended fine because at the end I was the only user that received offenses in that thread... nobody else was offended... just some users were exalted... if I was a report man at least two guys would be banned in that thread but like @pezus said to me sometime that I have to learn with all these bans

In any case I was banned five or six times only this year and just one time I offended someone.