By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Major Issue that Needs to be Addressed by Moderators

lol he was clearly joking because of your title.

I think too many people take shit personal.

If its not a personal direct attack (which is obvious), laugh it off and move on.

The child is the one who reports obvious innocent jokes.

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
RolStoppable said:
KHlover said:

Nowhere in my post did I imply you should be permabanned.

Anyway, it certainly has a lot to do with reputation. When someone joins this forum, they start at 0. It's up to every individual to collect plus or minus points in the eyes of the moderators and other users. I get preferential treatment for sure, but I don't think anybody can say that I didn't earn it. And if you like my threads, why would you want me to get punished for them? Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

#TEAMPERMABANrolstoppableNOW

#rolstoppableFORLEADMODERATOR

Kantor said:
Alright, I'm going to be direct here.

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

I thought that was one of the main reasons to have moderators in the first place. Isn't that an essential part of " maintaining a certain level of discourse"? Yes, what is and isn't offensive is a matter of subjectivity. With that in mind it seems contradictive to state "we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.".

In all honesty, I smiled a little when I read that joke. Does it make me misogynistic? Maybe so. However, after Marucha pointed out that she, as a woman, was offended by it, I would be wise to seriously consider if it was appropriate or not.

Basically, guys, you like girls, right? They're cool, clever and pretty. Why not make them feel comfortable here? It doesn't mean we should "bend backwards" to satisfy them, just go easy with the sexual slurs, ok?

considering it was Galaki, i suppose that was his way of acknowledging you are a girl and getting your attention.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

There i Was on the internet scolding galaki for his anti femilist joke

BAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh shit my nipples hurt from laughing (at op)

i only read the first page so far but im hoping that anyone made a tits or gtfo post on p2 or 3

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
chocoloco said:
RolStoppable said:
KHlover said:

Nowhere in my post did I imply you should be permabanned.

Anyway, it certainly has a lot to do with reputation. When someone joins this forum, they start at 0. It's up to every individual to collect plus or minus points in the eyes of the moderators and other users. I get preferential treatment for sure, but I don't think anybody can say that I didn't earn it. And if you like my threads, why would you want me to get punished for them? Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

#TEAMPERMABANrolstoppableNOW

#rolstoppableFORLEADMODERATOR

you suck.

So after reading the rest, really?

whining about the respect and quality f posts and then naming and shaming yourself?
pot meet kettle.

+ if you feel mods are doing a terrible job mail em at their contact this just reeks of some good old attention whoring

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
So after reading the rest, really?

whining about the respect and quality f posts and then naming and shaming yourself?
pot meet kettle.

+ if you feel mods are doing a terrible job mail em at their contact this just reeks of some good old attention whoring

I think the point was to make posters of this forum aware of the issue as well.

Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

I thought that was one of the main reasons to have moderators in the first place. Isn't that an essential part of " maintaining a certain level of discourse"? Yes, what is and isn't offensive is a matter of subjectivity. With that in mind it seems contradictive to state "we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.".

In all honesty, I smiled a little when I read that joke. Does it make me misogynistic? Maybe so. However, after Marucha pointed out that she, as a woman, was offended by it, I would be wise to seriously consider if it was appropriate or not.

Basically, guys, you like girls, right? They're cool, clever and pretty. Why not make them feel comfortable here? It doesn't mean we should "bend backwards" to satisfy them, just go easy with the sexual slurs, ok?

Is anyone really asking the mods to bend over backwards? I think the OP is saying that when a post is reported that clearly breaks a rule that the rule should be enforced. I think she is saying that she is tired of rule breakers going unmoderated.

kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:

Is anyone really asking the mods to bend over backwards? I think the OP is saying that when a post is reported that clearly breaks a rule that the rule should be enforced. I think she is saying that she is tired of rule breakers going unmoderated.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. It was a response to the mod who implied that "bending backwards" was what the OP was asking for.