By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Major Issue that Needs to be Addressed by Moderators

I really dont see an issue with that post.

Over-sensitive is over-sensitive.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Serious_frusting said:

Easy to say if you're not the target of the joke.

Barbarossa said:
Serious_frusting said:

Maybe so, but nothing about that joke is offensive. Dont get me wrong, he isnt my fav poster but that post really is not ban worthy.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

So let me get this straight. The longer you've been a member, the more rules you can break?

That's like saying an 80 year old man should be allowed to go on shooting sprees from time to time. Pretty sure rules are meant to be followed by everyone regardless of seniority.

Barbarossa said:
Serious_frusting said:

well, the majority of jokes i see here is gay/homo jokes. I think the joking and the kidding around is just apart of the way of every internet forum and we just have to live with it, no one will fully stricly follow the rules. Harmless joke is not that big of a deal, direct personal attacks are not okay though.

i think its over sensitive too.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Around the Network
Marucha said:

I could care less what that just picture said, only that that is the first time I was ever addressed in a meme lol

It's "couldn't care less." That and "rediculous" (it's "ridiculous") bug the hell out of me.

I agree with you that mods need to be more consistent though.

kain_kusanagi said:
Barbarossa said:
Kantor said:
Alright, I'm going to be direct here.

Galaki's post was not offensive. Galaki's post did not break the rules. Galaki's post was a pun based on your thread title. If you do see anything that offens you, by all means report it. If it's moderatable, it will be moderated. If it isn't, then it won't, and you need to accept that although it was offensive to you, we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.

I'm going to try to put this as nicely as possible, so I apologise if it still seems a little bit harsh. But we are not here to deal with people being offended. That's far too subjective. We are here to maintain a certain level of discourse and keep this site from becoming a giant flamewar. No part of that requires the banning of jokes that certain people find offensive.

Women are more than welcome here. You, personally, are more than welcome here. But that doesn't mean that we are going to bend over backwards to do everything that every user wants us to do. That is not feasible.

I thought that was one of the main reasons to have moderators in the first place. Isn't that an essential part of " maintaining a certain level of discourse"? Yes, what is and isn't offensive is a matter of subjectivity. With that in mind it seems contradictive to state "we didn't consider it to be objectively offensive.".

In all honesty, I smiled a little when I read that joke. Does it make me misogynistic? Maybe so. However, after Marucha pointed out that she, as a woman, was offended by it, I would be wise to seriously consider if it was appropriate or not.

Basically, guys, you like girls, right? They're cool, clever and pretty. Why not make them feel comfortable here? It doesn't mean we should "bend backwards" to satisfy them, just go easy with the sexual slurs, ok?

Is anyone really asking the mods to bend over backwards? I think the OP is saying that when a post is reported that clearly breaks a rule that the rule should be enforced. I think she is saying that she is tired of rule breakers going unmoderated.

But is it clearly breaking a rule? Galaki didn't really insult anything, even if people were offended by his comment.

Serious_frusting said:
Barbarossa said:
Serious_frusting said:

Maybe so, but nothing about that joke is offensive. Dont get me wrong, he isnt my fav poster but that post really is not ban worthy.

I agree, it's not ban-worthy, just my opinion though. At the same time, I think it would've been a good idea for a mod to say something to him rather than having a "get over it" attitude.

Bruxel said:
Barbarossa said:
Serious_frusting said:

well, the majority of jokes i see here is gay/homo jokes. I think the joking and the kidding around is just apart of the way of every internet forum and we just have to live with it, no one will fully stricly follow the rules. Harmless joke is not that big of a deal, direct personal attacks are not okay though.

i think its over sensitive too.

I don't agree that it's a part of every internet forum. I see quite a difference in tone and manner comparing different forums. And, generally, it's up to the moderators to set the bar for what is accepted.

You're right, no one will strictly follow the rules and neither should we, again, just my opinion. For example, if everyone always stayed on topic we would miss out a lot of joking and fun. This joke, however, was aimed at women, and while it may not have been a very offensive one,( like I said earlier I smiled a little at it), I think the mods response was less than satisfying.

*men joking" "And then the penis said to the vagina... Oh crap, a woman approaches! *clears throat* ehem... Ma'am. How art thou today may I ask? 'Tis fine evening, isn't?"

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

lol its funny that guys post crap like that... then wonder why there are hardly any female posters on the site

so ironic lol

...but regardless i suppose if we hide behind the notion that its a joke then its ok for galaki to make sexist posts (sarcasm)